Blatter rethinks automatic ban for red cards

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Stupid_American, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hornets nest. Every single ejection would be challenged. There's no way it wouldn't undermine the ref's authority. Calls - both bad and good - are simply part of the game.

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Just about every other red card in England is appealed - it is getting out of hand.

I do think that players should have the right to appeal any red card (a bad call should not affect future games) - but a failed appeal should result in a further two game ban.

4. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A two game ban seems a bit harsh, but I agree with you that there should be some degree of punishment for unsubstantiated appeals.

5. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    In Germany there is an automatic ban for any red card. If you're not guilty, then it'll be a one game ban; if you're guilty you'll get a longer suspension. This is a nice theory that it doesn't undermine the ref's authority, but it's having a contra effect. If the TV pictures prove that it was a wrong decision, then it just makes the situation worse as the wrong decision has a double punishment for the current and the next game. Even if the ref sees, admits and regrets his mistake, there is no way to be without a ban. As this is sports law and not just any decision, I also say that the automatic ban handling violates the law principle of "no punishment without a crime" - in analogy to penal law this would be the same if a policeman arrests you, your innocence is proved, but they keep you there for one day to not undermine the authority of the police department...

They should rather think about the awful situation that a referee's game decision may not be controlled. Players, who did a foul being worth an ejection but only received a yellow card (or just a free kick for the opponent), are guilty and don't get the punishment they deserve again with the dubious reason for not undermining the ref's authority. That's absolutely crazy - an innocent player faces a double punishment, but a guilty player is acquitted twice. Quite a pervert situation IMO.

6. badwolf

badwolf New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    If you or I were accused of committing an offence which meant you would be suspended from work and lose your wages for one or more weeks - or even worse if you were put in jail, and later you could prove that you were innocent - would you not expect to be set free?
    Why should footballers not have the same rights as everyone else?

7. donate_blood

donate_blood Member

May 30, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have no objection to video replay being used to determine if ejections were legitimate.

It should be used both ways. Players unjustly ejected should have their suspensions lifted. Players who committed an ejectionable offence that was missed by the referee should be suspended.

8. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    well said.

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Calls - both bad and good - are simply part of
    > the game.

You didn't visit the Earthquakes board this week, did you?