Blatter Calls for WC22 winter vote in three weeks.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by tyguy, Sep 13, 2013.

1. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More shocking than anything is that they might actually decide on moving the 22WC to the winter in just a few weeks. The jist of the article is that Gulati thinks its too soon to decide and reading between the lines, it appears that Blatter has his mind made up and the envelopes of cash from Qatar have been properly distributed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/s...in-no-hurry-to-decide.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

2. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just move the damn thing to the US. We can host it with like 1 month's notice and it will be the most watched and most attended World Cup in history.

CTS26, Excellency, USOutlaw16 and 2 others repped this.
  3. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have that vote in 3 weeks but have a vote of "no confidence" on Blatter in 2 weeks. Seems fair.

4. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nailed it!

5. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From reading the article Gulati actually sounds like a voice of reason, as he states the various issues that need to be dealt with. From a rational perspective (and yes, I know that FIFA decisions are made without any rational thought whatsoever) he identifies that there are too many questions to take a vote now, and no business decision would be made without those answers.

More important than anything else is the legal question of the signed contracts. If they were contingent upon the event being held in the summer, and those contracted parties decided to sue for damages...then Qatar better even have a bigger trunk of cash available to indemnify FIFA for legal action, which could be in the hundreds of millions easily.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The more I follow this crap, the more I believe that everyone is powerless to stop the Qataris from ass raping the sport, and, quite possibly as a result, a real break-down of FIFA as the big leagues/clubs look to wrest the sport away from FIFA's feudal lords, with international soccer as we know it being the likely casualty.

7. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This might be a little tinfoil-hatty, but is it possible that Blatter knows they'll lose this vote and they'll be "forced" to move the WC to a suitable venue?

Footsatt repped this.
  8. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA and their federations don't realize the power they have to really kabosh FIFA. Totally make FIFA irrelevant if they just simply walk away from Qatar 2022. This totally screws up their leagues if they go to Winter WC. That bribe money is what is keeping them in the FIFA fold. WC without UEFA is no WC worth watching.

9. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copa America.

10. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly, though it seems like this whole Winter 2022 thing is something Blatter's reputation relies on. IMO he takes a big hit if this is shot down.

11. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Blatter surviving this one.

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Not all UEFA leagues will be negatively effected. And some who are effected won't be as bad as others.
    The "Important" ones? sure.

13. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not so sure. Blatter has managed for this long despite all the scandals, baggage, whatnot. His political acumen is off the charts. He knows how to stay in power. There are only two motives in this vote..... 1. This vote is to kabosh Qatar and say oops, we can't do winter and here ya go USA, which placates UEFA and helps his re-election bid......2. He has the votes for winter and he has dug his heels because the bribe money is too damn good..........He already has the outcome he wants and we will know in 3 weeks what the vote was all about.

14. Luis Suarez

Luis Suarez Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blatter is so blatantly crooked and delusional, it's laughable. Here's to this hopefully being the final nail in his coffin...

15. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL, La Liga, Serie A, and Bund could even tell UEFA to go F themselves. They are big enough to form their own league/ federation. TV will flock to where the stars and those Big 4 are where the stars are at.

Luis Suarez repped this.
  16. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Not as simple as you make it sound. Players lose their FIFA standing, probably are able to break from their contracts from those teams and other leagues could go sign some of them. There will be push back within each federation. New Leagues and Federations will pop up under FIFA's sanctioning. There would be schisms small and large.

It may be good to have FIFA knocked down a peg or two or even replaced all together with a more transparent and much less corrupt organization, but the years it will take to get everything sorted will royally suck for fans of the international game. Again, may be worth it in the long run. I don't know.

17. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    If they are going to do a winter World Cup, wouldn't they be better off scheduling December/January with the winter breaks in many leagues? November seems like the worst possible time. I mean shit, it doesn't even sit well with MLS as we have our playoffs then. November seems to be the height of club football as summer leagues are wrapping up, summer to fall leagues are in full swing and fall to spring leagues are starting up.

canchon repped this.
  18. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2022 Winter Olympics are in Jan/Feb 2022. No way the WC can be at the same time.

Also I am assuming winter means Nov 2022, which would be more than a year after qualification ends (in October 2021). That is really awkward.

Mr Martin repped this.
  19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    #19 Marko72, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Indeed, they couldn't have mucked this one up any more if they'd planned to. But they got their bags of un-taxable money, and Blatter gets to call the shots and get Noblest Prince of the Known Universe awards everywhere he goes, so it's ok, right?

EDIT: A second round of money bags I'll wager, even. The first in 2010 for the actual vote, and now another to move it to November and make it all official.

20. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the qualification timetable can be modified to correspond to the date of the actual WC, so I don't think that is really an issue. But there's plenty of other stuff....

tab5g repped this.
  21. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call him to kiss my ass.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    :speechless:

23. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it just will start in November but end in December. I imagine they don't want to have the World Cup on two different years, and I bet they would also want to avoid Christmas. So maybe November 21st to December 21st.
    I know this has nothing to do with why you posted this, but just seeing those words got me thinking. If Gulati manages to delay this vote, great. But if he isn't able to, or if he ends up supporting it, I hope he gets something for his support: putting Copa America 2016 on the FIFA calendar. Random idea, I know.

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way Blatter calls for a vote if he doesn't already have the votes. This is a done deal.

International football NEEDS to be wrested away from FIFA. UEFA and CONCACAF should walk. Could probably talk Australia into it as well. Stage a rival WC in summer 2022.

Kilmer17 repped this.
  25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just talk Australia, but also the Pacific Rim. Japan and South Korea may walk too. After all, both lost as hosts as well, and are tired of the Gulf states running the show in the AFC.

If UEFA splits, I would love to see a "PRFC" (Pacific Rim Footballing Confederation). I can see the east Asian states (Like China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand team up with the USA, Canada, Mexico and Central America) to break off of CONCACAF and the AFC to form a huge money federation that instantly rivals UEFA and COMNEBOL. I think if UEFA pulls out, and the carribean nations of CONCACAF decide to throw their lot with Qatar, I think a PRFC split is doable--It immediately takes the political power away from AFC and CONCACAF and now joins a big league block with UEFA. The balance of power will shift and COMNEBOL will probably join the larger powers of the big money leagues, rending FIFA obsolete in the course of months.

But yeah, it has come down to this.

SOCCERMARINE repped this.