Blatter '2018/ 2022 World Cups were supposed to go to Russia/ USA'

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by YankBastard, Oct 28, 2015.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big enough news for its own thread.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34657900

Suspended Fifa president Sepp Blatter has suggested there was an agreement in place for Russia to host the 2018 World Cup - before the vote took place.

He also said a late swing in the voting towards Qatar undid a similar agreement to give the 2022 World Cup to the USA.

Asked whether it was a mistake to award the 2018 and 2022 tournaments simultaneously, Blatter replied: "It was agreed that we go to Russia because it's never been in Russia, eastern Europe, and for 2022 we go back to America."

2. VogelsingerKlinsmann

Jun 22, 2014
    Soooo, if there was an agreement with the U.S. Then sounds like SUnil Gulati is involved.

3. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Sunil in handcuffs? :)

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Since we are dealing with Sepp and tranlation to Russian and then English, I'm assuming, they thought there was a general consensus that the cups would go there - until the vote. Just like Congress, it is 'generally known' how a vote will go beforehand.

I don't think he is that dumb to say both cups were pre-agreed upon (IE bought).

ussoccer97531 and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  5. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunil is sinking deeper and deeper.

6. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...Sunil, where you at??

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone tell what the hell that article has to do with Sunil??????

Damn, people.

juveeer and Shabs repped this.
  8. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...all this stuff is (supposedly) going on and Gulati wouldn't know about it? With the way FIFA operates, people are making the (justified, frankly) association with Gulati, since he's part of FIFA.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not following. My understanding is that the US had the best technical bid, and there were significant problems with Australia and the East Asian bids, while Qatar's bid was always laughable on the merits. I recall the consensus being Australia might get it due to never having hosted, or the US might host due to the quality of the bid, with the latter being far more likely. Understanding the facts at hand had nothing to do with criminality or conspiracy or anything like that.

Elninho, Marko72 and Ironbound repped this.
  10. VogelsingerKlinsmann

Jun 22, 2014
    Sunil Gulati, "I see nothing . . . nothing."

[​IMG]

Pl@ymaker, cleansheetbsc and kickingdead repped this.
  11. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    As much as I would like to have Sunil out of office (which is a lot), what Blatter is suggesting doesn't have to mean bribery. I would doubt seriously that Sunil is involved in any financial improprieties. US soccer would have to be involved in such things. I don't find that likely either. It does suggest some sort of voting collusion, which is how these things work, and not likely to be breaking any laws.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think some of you are trying to find something that isn't there. Like a few others have said, they usually know who's going to win these votes before they happen, so it seems like Blatter is saying that it was assumed that Russia would win 2018 and USA would win 2022, but Qatar swept in late and changed that.

juveeer and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's a reach to criticize Sunil in this instance. They discussed it beforehand. It was agreed based on the arguments that the U.S. had the best case for hosting another World Cup. They went to vote the next day (or whenever), and by that time Qatari royalty dropped numerous bribes on the presidents of Nigeria and other corrupt federations, so that changed the vote. What, should Sunil have stepped up his palm greasing game to counteract the Qatari Federation's? Didn't necessarily need to bribe people much if at all beforehand to get them to come around on the U.S. since '94 is still the most attended World Cup ever, in spite of there being significantly less matches then. There was more legal monetary incentive to do it in the U.S. than anywhere else. Just not enough to outweigh the illegal for Qatar after bribery. This just reinforces Qatar's bid was corrupt, not like we didn't already know that though.

GiallorossiYank and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. VogelsingerKlinsmann

Jun 22, 2014
    So Sunil can continue to live his jet setting lifestyle, flying all around the world and getting the best seats in the stadium. I doubt he is innocent.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You haven't explained how this report suggests he isn't though.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He wasn't in the ExCo at the time.

I have no problems with people leveling some anger in Sunil's direction and wanting the administration of the men's program handed off to other, more capable hands. I don't have a problem with people wanting to remove Sunil. But let's complain about what he is actually responsible for.

I do lay a whole lot of the blame of the enormous waste of resources that the 2022 bid was at his feet. He seems to have been totally blindsided by the decision, totally taken by shock at just how transparently the graft had simply bought the game lock, stock, and barrel. He needed to figure that out sooner. Not his best moment by long shot.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  17. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed :thumbsup:

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No this is Blatter trying to say to the US DOJ, "I wanted to give the US the World Cup, really! Go after the French guy if you're pissed off about losing the WC to a desert country in the middle of the summer. I wasn't to blame!! Really!! I, as FIFA president had nothing to do with the process!!!"

It's him grasping at any straw that might give him a chance to stay out of the pen.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

juveeer, Eleven Bravo and russ repped this.
  19. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    There's a video at the original link in which Sepp is speaking English, so no translation errors there. Unless there's a translation error between Sepp's brain and his mouth.

Eleven Bravo and brewcity77 repped this.
  20. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There usually is one.

juveeer and 21st Century Pele repped this.
  21. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Does this mean that Qatar out bribed us?

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have loved the US to have won the bid, but I would have been alright had it gone to Australia.

That said, if it had to be a middle east nation, it should have gone to Turkey... A nation that isn't the size of Rhode Island and not a Jihadist safe haven.

ttrevett repped this.
  23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing to see here.
    US had a slam dunk bid.

24. Gilma1990