Blanco's Arrival Delayed

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by SP Gunners, May 21, 2007.

1. SP Gunners

SP Gunners New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    For all you Fire fans, looks like you'll have to wait a bit longer for Blanco. According to http://www.femexfut.org.mx Blanco has been named to the squads for both the Copa America and the Gold Cup.

2. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA
    what in the F**k are we paying this guy for? He's basically gonna be shot by the time he makes it here, what? In September?

3. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But it makes sense that he would be named to both squads, I'm sure they have a large pool. However, since the Mexican manager has mentioned he wouldn't "force" anyone to participate in both (wish I could find that link) then I was under the impression that it was his choice. Unless this is the final squad, and all the players have already agreed to participate, then my bad. My spanish is a bit rusty, so I couldn't actually make my way thru the page very well.

4. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rate we are going we will be buried so far down the league chart by the time he gets here it wont matter.

5. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was expected the way he is scoring so nothing surprising.

6. Rowdies 71

Rowdies 71 New Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Oak Park
    Even more perplexing that we knowingly paid that amount of cash to someone who will without a doubt show up spent physically.

This is getting riskier as time slowly slips by.

7. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Next year.

It just doesn't feel like the Mexican Federation would want Blanco to play in both tournaments after this marathon season and then go right into another club season.

So, I'm still hoping that they are basically politely giving him the choice to pick which tournament he would rather play in.

8. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    This is why you spend the off season trying to get someone. You don't wait until March or April. WTF were the Fire doing from November-February?

9. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...probably, talking to Blanco and others. :rolleyes:

10. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Doods, put ur self in his place. Copa America or MLS ?

11. kornkid15

kornkid15 Member

Mar 16, 2007
    chi-city
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    According to the site, 28 players are selected but there will be a cut to bring the list down to 21 for the Gold Cup. Thats all it says. I'm assuming those that don't make it to the squad for the Gold Cup will go to Copa America. Two other things that spark the light are, Marquez ain't gonna play in Gold Cup cuz of him wanting to make sure Barca win La Liga. And as much as I love Nery Castillo, why in the blue hell did he pick him to the squad again after he's creating all this drama bout being hurt and not being able to play and other national teams showing interest in him. Whatever. 75% chance Cuahu won't play in Copa America. I say that from what the speculation that Televisa throws around on its show.

12. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Exactly, this is the preliminary roster for both tournaments, but that doesn't mean the same team will go to both tournaments. If America doesn't advance in Libertadores, Blanco will probably be on the Gold Cup and not Copa America roster.

13. Fire-wisla

Fire-wisla New Member

Oct 14, 2006
    chicago, ill
    Hopefully he doesnt get injured during those tournaments. Also most likely he will be very tired from playing.

14. Rulas

Rulas BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    look at the forwards that got called tho. bofo, medina, bravo, borgetti, castillo. that is a tough list so i think that maybe blanco gets cut.

15. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bofo was crap yesterday.

Besides, wouldn't Cuauh be competing with the mids?

16. Rulas

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i believe on the list he is listed as a forward. thing is bofo would make more sense playin with bravo and medina. i guess i left kikin fonseca off that list too. and im sorry medina is listed as midfielder. but even in the midfield you have pardo, medina, and arce who was playin well. i guess it depends what hugo is lookin for. if he is lookin for speed i dont think cuau will be on the final list.

17. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
  18. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    but they aren't exactly the same position as Blanco. Only one that is the same position as Blanco is Bofo. But so far Cuauhtemoc has been playing better then Bofo. And Bofo hasn't done anything with the NT.

19. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    When he'll be gone for World Cup Qualifying games.

20. Rulas

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    but like i said, it would make sense to play bofo when bravo and medina are also most likely goin to be on the squad.

21. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Relax guys. Cuauhtemoc will only play one tournament either Copa Oro or Copa America.

22. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA
    he's only signed for 2 years. As far as I heard it's a guaranteed contract. So the Fire is essentially paying him $5 million to play a season and a month. (unless he does only play in one tournament)

This is starting to prove the monumental waste of time/money I initially thought it would be.

23. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    My understanding was that he signed for 2 1/2 years and this is the half year.

24. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's correct.