Blake and Hart out?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by bigdush, Jan 26, 2004.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
  2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big news, and interesting. Blake and Hart combined were making, what, 75k? Looks as though we are having more salary cap problems than even the SA article on team salaries let on.

I guess the natural questions are: Are they getting anyone to replace the striker position now that both Blake and Schmidt are gone? What do we do if Zizi, CC or Spencer go down simulataneously, play Chung or Hendo up top?

I'm thinking Hart will end up in the A-league, as another MLS team would have to trade to acquire his rights, same with Blake...

What a wasted draft choice in Blake though (even if he was a third rounder). Not even a year and he's already gone...

Way to go Wank and Counce... Great player development there....

3. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    No offense to the USsoccerUK gang, they've been better than anyone in getting out advance news... but in this case, I don't see how this is "big news" nor anytyhing surprising to anyone following this board... or even the Denver Post, for that matter.

It was widely known that Wes Hart was out of contract following last season, a point that was emphasized when he wasn't included on the list of salaries from the players' union. (same for Blake)

I suppose you could argue that by virtue of the fact that the Rapids haven't signed Hart (or Blake) to a new deal that they in effect "haven't asked him back."

If that were true.

From what I've been told -- also by a "source within the team" as well as one within the league -- the fact is that the Rapids did offer Hart a new contract. However, this contract was reportedly for a reduced salary, told to be the high $20s or very low $30s.

If true, this is unfortunate and an insult not just to Hart but to any young player that busts his ass for 3 or 4 years (or more) in the league. Hart may not be among the league's best outside backs, but he's managed to at least perform capably in this role for the Rapids for the past two years. And you certainly can't argue against the guy's commitment, work ethic or match intensity.

No offense to the first- and second-year players making squat, but it's one thing to get paid minimum wage as a regular stater. It's another thing to have put in four years of your life and be forced out of the league not because your ability is lacking but because management doesn't think you're worth $35K.

To think people still wonder why many young Americans choose to play on the reserve side of lower-division teams in Europe. Hell, if you're going to be treated like crap, might as well do it in a foreign country where you can see the sights, right?

What's also interesting is that Hart's named hasn't really turned up anywhere recently, other than the suggestion by the USSUK article of the Seattle Sounders -- which I'm curious why of all the A-League teams they're the ones cited; if this is actual interest from the Sounders, or just a conclusion drawn from the fact that Hart went to college in Washington.

4. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    So Hart isn't on the Rapids this season. Big Fricking Deal!! Just watch him against Beasley and that will tell you why. Also, in our league today you better be able to push forward even if you are an outside back. He should considered himself lucky for lasting this long. Best of luck to you in your future endeavours. Pro sports is a cutthroat business.

5. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    By that logic, not one of the defenders on the Rapids' roster should be under contract. Same goes for most of MLS.

I guess the Portuguese internationals should hang up the clears, too.

6. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    Yes, because all 140 lbs of Beasley is so good. Come on, all you have to do is keep him in front of you or double team him and he goes down. 80% of the strikers in MLS make Hart look like a little girl. Defenders are a dime a dozen in MLS and the Rapids can certainly do better than Hart.

7. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Pretty freakin harsh. Guy had a few bad games. Everybody does. Truth is he did bust his ass every game.

Most MLS midlevel players are underpaid. Asking him to take a paycut is just as harsh. Great message the team and league is sending.

I'm not saying there aren't better RBs... The cuthroat side of this business is definately, harsh.

Oh and, stopping Beasley just aint that simple.

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hart leaving the team, and maybe the league, is another indication of the level of talent in the league going up. Some argue that it sucks he didn't get a great new contract offer, but the Rapids decided that they either have enough at bodies at the position or can find enough. I think Ritchie K. and Seth T. can both take over for Hart and the draft just brought in 5 defenders to look at. Hart never excelled on the team and he lost his spot. So it goes in professional sports. Make a name for yourself or go.

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    OK. Name a few currently available defenders with more than 1 year of experience in MLS that will play for $30K -- that will definitely do better than Hart.

A salary of $40K and he likely would have stayed, even if he knew he'd be limited to the reserves. Sounds like a very worthwhile expense to me.

In competition for starting places, sure. But getting rid of veteran players that will kick their own ass in training -- not to mention never give up on trying to win back their starting spot -- is hardly going to do much good towards improving the league. Or individual teams, for that matter.

How exactly did Hart "lose his spot?" It's not like training has been underway and someone else outshined him in preseason. Arguably Stewart will be a better right back, but who knows yet how well Stewart will rebound from his injury. Who knows if any of the new kids will perform any better? None of the new players in 2003, including Crawford, could beat Hart out for the position.

Here's a guy who started 29 games in 2003 -- that's tied with Chung for most on the team -- and started 25 games in 2002. Yet without even putting any of the draftees on trial he's suddenly so worthless that he's offered a pay cut?

Again, I'm not suggesting that Hart should have stayed on as a starting player. And if The Wank feels he's such a weak reserve, then just what the hell was he doing playing so often for the Rapids in the first place?

It just mind-blowing that a team who wants to beef up their defense in the offseason begins by releasing two players who were seen as key components for the past few seasons.

Mind you, I'm not sugegsting that Fraser and Hart should still be starting; I'm only questioning what the hell is (or isn't) going through Hankinson's brain when he decides in the blink of an eye that two of his regular starters aren't even worth keeping as reserves -- especially when there are known, extended absences on the horizon for regular starters.

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this isn't too tough a blow for Hart. I liked the effort he put it. I think he could have provided good cover for the Rapids at a reasonable price.

This may be giving Hankinson and Counce too much credit, but at 26 Hart is unlikely to develop into a starter. He is most likely destined to be a journeyman or bench support in the league. Since MLS rosters aren't large does it make more sense to reserve non-starting player spots for tomorrows starters? If that's the rationale I'm not sure I disagree, but I doubt it is the rationale.

On the bright side for Hart expansion is coming to MLS soon, and if he stays with it he'll probably be able to continue to play. At the moment he must answer a question most people have to answer at one point or other in their lives. Is it time to move on? Good luck to him in either case.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hart needs to go, period. I know Greenie gave him a glowing farewell on the Rapidsfan.com. and some of it is deserved. Hart did the job asked of him, and we never heard a complaint. He was a forward/midfielder, and was morphed into a right back. That's why he sucks at right back! He was adequate, but I would have taken David Vaudrieul and his shogun haircut back there before Wes Hart. There's no place on this team for him, and yes the quality of MLS is slowly creeping upwards.

Fact is, is that regardless of Hart's pricetag, the Rapids need to get a couple of the boys greencards, find a TRUE IMPACT starter with an SI slot, and find a solid Midfielder to sit the bench with Kingsley (who knows, that could be Gregorio?). Letting Hart go is hardly cutting off the Rapids nose despite their face. Same goes for Blake (whose attitude and commitment could have been what saw him off). Everyone should still thanks Wes Hart for his dedication and a couple great games, including a scissor kick goal to equalize KC, back in the day when he was still an offensive player.

13. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hart, Frasier & Blake

Granted, Hart does play hard and Frasier is a great person however after last year's terrible perfromce in "goals against" the Rapids need to make personnel changes on defense. With Blake, I'm suprised because he performed well in training and practice games - worth another year of development to see true potential.

14. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hart, Fraser, Blake, and Herdsman?

So we all have our favorite 'projects' don't we??

Blake- never seemed to get the minutes
    Schmidt-Preseason Pheeeee-Nom, then what the heck?
    Fraser- Elegance, speed, and now, dumped
    Hart-Hard to argue Hart was any better for the team than Herdsman, who I thought was worth keeping (sorry Greenie, but Herdsman could catch Beasley), but why did we invest two years of playing time in him?
    Herdsman-yada-yada-yada Forward? No! Defender? Not in the middle...

All of the above share the common thread of Yoda putting players in a position to look bad:

Blake & Schmidt needed some ice time, we had PLANTY of 0-2 and 0-3 games to sub them into. They sat.

Fraser had another year if he played 60, not 90. Fine, let's see what we use his Cap room for..

Herdsman was a natural marking back for the speedy wings...too bad he was rarely played there. He made interior mistakes, but Donovan/Beasley didn't hurt him outside.

Hart is a great 'play me anywhere' guy who could help the team off the bench, but was abandoned to play man coverage in obvious zone situations for him. Sigh.

New Coach?

RLH

15. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll miss Wes Hart. He did work hard and enough can't be said about that because he has the desire which in my opinion is better than the skill. He also had skills too, I just couldn't phrase that correctly.

I hope the Rapids didn't offer him a low ball salary.

Hey Wes, if you can give those foreign leagues a shot. I would think it would be interesting to see him at a second division German club. He has the experience that the game aspect won't be overwhelming so he could get adapted to the culture easier. I just hope things work out for Wes.

I will miss him.

16. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Hart's gone big deal. He did play his heart out and did what was asked ... but a 50K bench player ... no way. Same with Fraser who I'll conservatively put at 70K with his reduced salary ... why would you want to spend 120K of your total team salary (1800K - 1.8 M) on two bench players? Especially one (Fraser) that probably wouldn't be satisfied on the bench?

Hart isn't worth 50K.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if that was where we're going to put one of or discovery picks once Zizi or Spennie gets a green cards.

I have no problem with Hart and Blake being gone ... Hart will never bite us in the butt ... Blake who knows - but reports are he's a baby.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen brother. There are other fish in the sea.

18. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but the MLS pond isn't exactly that well stocked with talented fish. Hart would have filled in well on the bench, and we just never got much of a look at Blake. Given our lack of depth in those positions (although we drafted a lot of defenders, we are really weak depth-wise up front now...), these cuts are a cause for concern.

Most likely, we won't notice these guys are gone, but it was at least a questionable move (outside of salary concerns) in my opinion.

19. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'm not suggesting that the Rapids should have kept both Fraser and Hart -- nor am I convinced that either were keepers. I'm only questioning the logic of The Wank spouting off about such a great defensive need without having any proven backups for a defensive line that will be short for a number of games in 2004. Fraser at $70K is an incredible bargain even if he spent the entire season on the bench (although he'd be miserable about that I'm sure).

questions...

- Do we know (has someone heard) that Wes was holding out for $50K, or is this number a guess?

- Do you think that $50K is too much for a reserve player who occasionally starts... or just too much for Hart in that capacity?

- Where/who has reported that Blake was "a baby?" I still think people are confusing him with Jason Cole, who was cut from preseason for said reason. I don't recall seeing Blake ever puss out in training, so I'm curious if others have.

20. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    where is the union when this happens to players? Hart was a starter the past couple of years so basically he was doing a good job. In any other business this would compare to a good yearly evaluation..after 7 years you would think the players union would have made more strives to help the players--some steps in place to get a salary scale, arbritration, etc...when this happens Can hart collect unemployment? aren't the contract for at least two years with option years. Is blake basically waived?

21. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talent Poor!

With the low salary cap in MLS an administrator could and should argue against $50K bench players. In reality 50K is a meager sum for a professional athlete, whether on the pitch or bench.
    Hart, however, is talent poor and simply does not justify an MLS contract at any price! IMO players of his ilk are a dime a dozen and none of them belong in MLS.

I frequently read the argument that he is a local kid, he hustles, he works hard in practice, etc.. Those are characteristics of high school athletes they do not define professionals.

22. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    1. Guess :)

2. Too much for Hart. I don't think he's THAT great of a reserve player.

3. I think you're right about my confusing Blake with Cole. Guess I don't really know that much about Blake ... so therefore he can't be that great.

23. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Boy that sounded arrogant ... didn't mean it that way. Just that if he was so great he'd have found some playing time.

24. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Re: Talent Poor!

Likable local kid. Seems like that is worth the $10 grand they were arguing over. Rush coach, Littleton player, can start in a pinch, decent practice player. I think it is bad business to alienate two local clubs for $10,000. I would have made it work.

25. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greenie, I saw Blake and Vallow get into it during a practice because Vallow called him offsides during a scrimmage, and Blake was about a yard and a half off. He worked hard, but it's hard to play with a chip on your shoulder, and I think he had one. However, Blake made it to his final stepping stone, so God knows what his deal is? I think Blake is talented. Maybe one of the other reasons Hankinson needs to go, is his lack of ability to mature young talent. I have no problem with Hanki's want of professionalism, but maybe he has a zero tolerance policy with kids in their early 20's who are going to need some maturation?

Garlick managed to keep his mouth shut until he saw the writing on the wall, the problem here, is that Blake hadn't even spent a full season, hadn't proved himself in front of 3 quality strikers and a guy who lit up the preseason. What "promises" could Blake possibly have been expecting to come to fruition? Bad situation all around if you ask me...