Bladders: Latex Versus Butyl

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by smithxi, Jun 7, 2006.

1. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Which is REALLY better of the Two, and why?

2. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    in short
    natural latex bladder - softer/natural feel (i believe the ball retains it's shape longer too)
    butyl bladder - firm, but can keep the air pressure in the ball longer than latex

latex>butyl

3. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    when you go out and buy a ball, which bladdered ball do you buy?

4. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    i like to have a consistent feel when i have a kick around and what not so i stick with latex bladders, but if you're looking for something to play in the street than i would suggest a butyl (or PU - polyurethane) bladder because most of those balls are made out of durable materials (shell) for harsher surfaces (such as concrete)

mitre makes some good, cheap footballs

i heard select makes some of the best footballs

5. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    if my dad sees this he's going to kill me, but i just bought the select numero 10 for $43 with tax. It's a slick little ball. I was inspired to buy it yesterday when I was kicking around my friends and I noticed it's really soft feel. It's amazing how nice this ball is for $43. I just had that sensation all over the top of my foot when I kicked it. Nice ball, but do you think the adidas finale sportivo is a better ball than this one? I noticed the sportivo has natural latex and the select numero 10 has latex. Is there a difference in the two?

6. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    Years and years ago, when I was in europe, i had my first experience with select balls, and for the next 6 or so years, that's all I used. I LOVED them. Until I played for my HS team, we were supplied with balls, so I never used them anymore. After that they were difficult to find locally. To this day, for the money, they were the best balls i remember using. However nothing compares to the Aerow IMO...

7. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    word, I love the texture of the aerow.

8. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Yeah, the Nike Aerow is a top notch football - it has a good balance. Better than the thermo-bonded footballs adidas has been pulling out of their ass for the past four years. The rotiero and teamgeist feel mushy and when it's wet/raining it feels slick.

9. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    do you think the adidas finale sportivo is a better ball than the select numero 10? I noticed the adidas finale sportivo has natural latex and the select numero 10 has latex. Is there a difference in the two?

10. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    i'm not sure whether they are the same, but they'll probably be simliar in construction and properties. i think they are the same material just different wording.

11. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    yeah really, like they're both latex. okay, i'm done obsessing, FOR NOW at least!