BlackBurn v. Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bjb7223, Oct 26, 2004.

1. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It wasn't only this game. He has been awful for a few games in a row now. He has been playing like a chicken with his head cut off. All he does is throw himself at the opposition. How many times did he get caught out because he makes a ridiculous attempt at a tackle at midfield. If he does miss completley like he normally does he ends up in the referee's notebook. Carragher has to cover his ass all day long leaving two attacking players for Sami to cover in the middle. Finnan needs to take over the right back role until Josemi can learn to play with some disipline.

3. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    i still can't believe what I saw on the replays...Cisse is very unlucky

I was looking forward to him settling in properly and hitting form 'cos hes pure class. (i was also looking forward to seeing him out play and outscore Drogba seeing as how he is twice as good but half the price!)

Morientes in January anyone?

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I feel really bad for Cisse. Lets just wish him the best and hope that he will be able to play football again.

For now Kewell and Garcia will split time up front. With Pongolle hurt also, maybe Mellor will make the bench. This is really Milan's chance to shine because we have nobody else thats a goalscorer. January should be interesting because our need for a striker is now obvious.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mate of mine was in the Rovers end when the injury occured. He swears blind there was actually an audible crack.

Great shame - that's three broken legs in two league trips to Ewood Park now.

The game itself was a belter I thought - lots of meaty play and not too mcuh fussing from the man in the middle. The injury aside, it was a good, honest, competitive game. Players being allowed to compete is a rarity these days and should be applauded. Let's not get blinded to that by the obvious horror of Cisse's injury.

The defending at both ends left lots to be desired, but at least Baros has started finding the net consistently. He needed to add that to his workrate attributes.

Agree on Josemi, not his best game. To me, the key is pace. He was roasted by Emerton (we must reclaim that adjective from it's more recent application ... :D ) throughout because he just couldn't keep up with him - and Finnan was playing so far up the park that he had to push on to close that channel. End result: any ball to the left wing had a slow left-back in a midfield position defending against a quick midfielder attacking the left-back position.

I'm a big supporter of the concept that we needed to play higher up the pitch when Houllier was still in charge and I'm glad to see that Benitez concurs. Unfortunately for us we are still short on pace at the back, even if the increasingly peerless Carra is doing what he can to quicken us up through the centre. And Traore is coming good as well, which is a relief. If only he could sort his throw-ins out. Anyone else noticed that? You watch him next time - almost all his throwins go straight to an opponent. I first noticed it against Millwall.

Anyway, good point on the road after an unsettling early loss of a player.

What is far more upsetting is Arsenal's inability to beat Southbloodyhampton at home. I anchored an 8-match accumulator around that result and the other seven, including bloody Carlisle v York, came in. Rory Delap owes me £55.

6. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    I'm guessing Benitez spotted Traore's throw in problem vs Millwall and tried a fix against Blackburn I thought, he kept faking throwing it up the pitch then turned and threw the easy ball to an unmarked Hyppia, although I now can wait in dread for the day he does it and a sneaky forward pinches it off Hyppia and scores.

7. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think liverpool played quite okay ,knowing that cisse had broken and all.the only bad thing was the defending!I am now starting to hate Josemi.I dont think hes good enough to put on the reds shirt!The second goal was all his fault.first he gave away the free kick,and then in the box ,when hyypia gave him the pass,the lazy a$$ didnt even move!!!

8. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    All things considered, it's a valuable away point for us. The down side was of course the injury to Cisse, but perhaps that is what Baros needs to really fire up. I hope they play Kewell up front now, and leave Riise in midfield.

9. AwayKit

AwayKit Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the same thing will happen (one could argue that it has) with Hyypia's slow-rollers squared to the keeper. It's become very predictable, and although he's one of the best at doing it and I know it relieves pressure, it's risky.

10. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    I agree, i'd like to see Kewell play behind Baros with Garcia and Riise both in the midfield, Riise of course wide left, he has played very well there in the last two games.

11. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Harry needed a good kick in the butt for his poor form, hence starting him on the bench against Blackburn. However, now it's time to let him prove his worth and also with Baros... his form in Euro was awesome, so put the hard word on him that we need him to really fire while we're short of forwards. It's when the chips are down that you see the true value of a player.

12. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems the problem of years past has come back to haunt us. Thy look like the best club in the world for fifteen minutes or so, and then turn around and make Blackburn look like Real Madrid on a great day. Where was the marking on the first goal??? And what the heck was up with that second goal. All those guys in Red looking like the ball was one of those missing weapons of mass desstruction. My fiance thought we were gonna get thrown out of the pub I was so mad. THrew my Liverpool cap about twenty feet and couldn't mute my "What the (insert fave four letter word here) was that over and over.

Garcia is looking like a real steal. I can't believe Cisse broke two bones in his leg. It didn't look anything like a serious thing, but I think his foot go tcaught up in the turf just at the worst possible moment. He won't play again this season. Dadgummit.

13. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dadgummit???? Holy Bad Defending Batman! LF don't mince words, man. :cool:

14. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to keep it cleaner than I did the other day. This is a family program after all. :D

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'm finding that out. Getting PM's from young people reading about the Stanwood Prowlers. Got to stop my 'clever' little ways of getting swear words in here.