BlackBurn v. Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bjb7223, Oct 26, 2004.

1. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    expecting Josemi back.
    Josemi, Jaimie C. , Sammi, JAR, Garcia, Did, Xabi, Kewell, Baros, Cisse(should be well rested)

3 points is a must against relegation zone blackburn. they're last in the league.

2. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    Agree with the lineup, and with Carragher in the net, basically the same lineup that came out against Charlton, with the exception of Josemi back.

3. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey got that [R] thing right. I know that Blackburn is in 20th place, but do we really need to take them on with only 10 men and no keeper? or will Henchoz get a second game, this time in the net. We know he's good with his hands ;)

My Lineup:

------Kirkland
    Josemi---Sami--JC---Djimmy
    didi------Xabi-------Kewell
    Cisse---------Garcia
    --------Baros

Dudek
    Finnan
    Diao
    Biscan
    Mellor

4. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    I don't understand this alignment at all. It looks like you have put a German tank on right wing, in front of Josemi, and I cannot parse out the linkage there.

One of the essential questions that Benitez will be asking is: "Do we field a second-string side against of tottering opponent that should be very up for the match, in advance of the Deportivo encounter Wednesday week?"

This would entail sitting Garcia and Alonso. First of all, my view is that Benitez will be expecting the Spaniards to figure greatly in his overall tactics in what will only be viewed as a 3 point must in Spain. I suppose that a tie might be acceptable in some circles, but that means beating Monaco again and Olimpiacos, the latter away game. The Reds certainly have their work cut out for them in CL play.

By then, Gerrard and Nunez might be fully fit, at least that is the PhysioRoom forecast.

I favor trying to handle Rovers with a squad similar to the Millwall selection, since it is very clear the side was very prepared and played well together, and with the travel the first squad can take all the rest available.

I think I would put Hyypia in at CB instead of Henchoz, though, and Kirkland as keeper.

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    One thing about running a team is to have them playing together. If we're thinking of a win against Deportivo, then we play our best team against Rovers. Cisse and Baros need match time together and the rest of the team are starting to play and anticipate each others moves, we should keep it that way.

Don't underestimate Rovers, they need to break out of a slump and they've caught us before. If we gain a good lead (and we're not scoring a lot yet,) then sub in.

We'll meet a very different team in Coruna' this time around than the "Give up ground and play for a draw" squad we met at Anfield. We need to have players that know who they're playing next to on the field.

6. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yeah ,i agree,Deportivo is going to be a very dificult match,they are no longer going to play for a draw,and they are a very attacking side,lets not forget.Think they will play the full strenght side,since lets not forget that this is a squad with new players and they still have to learn more from each .
    I think this will be the lineup

--------Kirk
    --Josemi--CARRA--Hyypia--Traore
    --Garcia--Xabi------DiDi--JAR
    -------Baros----Cisse

7. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Certainly that is a well-held view, and I don't challenge the thinking especially. It seems to me that Benitez has to balance carefully the EPL aims and the CL aims. At this point, with a game in hand and playing better, Liverpool has overcome its deficits from a month ago when 12th. With three three point games facing the side, the next worrying EPL match is against 'Boro, there. A tie would not be a bad result.

We can only observe from a certain distance -- insulated as most of us are -- what is going on with the players, what their fitness level is, how fatigued, how game-ready. I should not be surprised to see the same squad run out for both Rovers and Deportivo, but to see Garcia, Josemi or Alonso knocked for the upcoming match would be a grave situation, IMO.

No one commented on the lineup with Hamann at RM. Is it just me?

8. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I didn't draw it well but I think we will see Cisse as a right sided player more often with either Finnan or Josemi at right back given a charter to get forward. In that configuration Didi has a responsibility to cover that side and the center halves and D-jimmy have to cover with three. With that configuration Cisse gets a chance to attack the oppositions left fullback for pace and Garcia gets a freer role . Thats essentially how we played in the second half of the game on Saturday. I agree with USscouse, players need a run of games together --keep the lads sharp and use the kids against 'boro on the 9th or 10th.

9. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be off to Trooper Thorn's Irish Beef House in Reading, PA for this one shouild anyone care to join me! :D

They serve $1 pints of Killians BTW...

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    OK, then. As a matter of fact, Cisse, while a threat, did not figure into the outcome of the Charlton match in any significant manner. Baros should have had at minimum two goals; effectively, he was pants when all was summed up. ( So it was very significant that he finished well against Millwall. ) I will quickly agree that Cisse on the right side opens up the center for Garcia, or anyone else that slots in there, so, tactically, I think it's a good venture, especially against a side that doesn't have an especially strong defensive midfield, and Rovers are certainly in that camp.

Still, the Reds do not need to expend a great deal of resource against Blackburn, who do not show the ability to mount any effective attack. They score one goal per game on average at home, and only the creaking wreck that is Spurs and Birmingham City have less goals on their own pitches. I should expect a 2-1 result, in favor of Liverpool, even if the side features part of the second string.

11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    what a treat!

12. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    And I just noticed my first post in this thread, I put Carra in the net, instead of Kirkland, my bad. I feel stupid.

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good point. Cisse has essentially been playing as an all out attacking right midfielder in the second half of games. It give Garcia the opportunity to play centrally where he serves as the link between the midfield and the strikers. So far fullbacks havn't been able to deal with Cisse's pace down the right side. When he plays centrally he has had trouble finding the space where he can stretch his legs. Defensively it isn't any different that having Garcia on the wing because its not like he tracks back anyway.

It should be interesting to see if Kewell gets his starting place back. Traore deserves to keep his spot because he has done great at left back. Riise's goal against Charlton may convince Rafa to keep him in the midfield. If Kewell can ever find his form we would be an incredibly dangerous attacking team, but I'm starting doubt that we will ever see Kewell at his best in a Red shirt. I'm also not sure that Josemi should automatically get his spot back. He was terrible in the games leading up to Man United. Finnan played well in his place, and I like Finnan much more at the fullback than in the midfield.

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Isn't this what happened to Diouf....?!!!! :rolleyes:

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Oh, WE all noticed. We were just too gentlemeny to try and hurt your feelings.

Next time though..!

16. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    He'd probably keep out more goals then Brad Friedel would for Blackburn, although to be fair to Brad, his defenders give him no support whatsoever.

17. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    except he has no pace and can't cross the ball, or score. :D

18. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    Yea, thanks, you just boosted my self-esteem tremendously

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    There are vast differences between Diouf's and Cisse's play. Cisse is an aggressive physical player who takes it to the defender, using both finesse, pace and power. Diouf relies on craft and cannot use his physical strength effectively, so Houllier pulled him back to wing, which I think robbed him of confidence. In his WC stint with Senegal, he was a little bit more of an unknown factor and how to play him was not so clear as has become. Now a defender can wait for Diouf to overplay the ball and that's that. Cisse will shove the ball down a defenders throat, if given a chance. I look forward to the Cisse/Ashley Cole matchup. Maybe at Lens Diouf was playing the kind of football where craft and pace allow a striker to score at will. In the EPL the only player to show that ability recently is Henry, and Henry is actually significantly more physical than Diouf.

I have been impressed with Finnan's play enough to favor him over Josemi in general, but I think that Benitez will play Josemi in the Deportivo match, for obvious reasons.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    All good points but my comment was supposed to be a bit of wry humour, LB got it.... :cool:

21. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Thank you for the kind word. I knew that you were aiming at burlesque -- after all, the prat that Diouf has become at Bolton deserves mention, dunnit?
    Someone mentioned in another forum that Diouf made another player look good. Wow! Diouf makes the average traffic cone look like Nesta.

22. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on at noon here on the right coast, but I'll be taking it in at the local. I could watch at home, but I want to avoid "honey do's" from "she who must be obeyed" while the match is on. They've got Too-gay back to go with Dick-off, but will be without little Davey Thompson and Oily Amoruso (bloody hun).
    Two of our old boys will probably play for them -- the American Eagle and Matteo. But the one we must hate (other than the Scum manager) is Legbreaker Niell.

I predict a win!

23. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Garcia and Kewell both on the bench. Finnan and Riise in midfield.

Kirkland
    Josemi
    Hyypia
    Carragher
    Traore
    Riise
    Hamann
    Alonso
    Finnan
    Baros
    Cisse

Subs:
    Dudek
    Kewell
    Garcia
    Diao
    Warnock

24. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    I guess Rafa is trying to save Garcia for CL matches and figures we can win thsi one without him on the pitch? That's what i'm figuring, good starting line-up, we should take 3 points from this one.

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    This is why on your thread I suggested wingers might be a bigger necessity than strikers, although I know most of you disagree. Neither Finnan nor Riise are bad players, but its Blackburn - you should be able to tear them apart. Finnan's not really good enough to play on the wing..........
    Good luck today - I didn't mean to come here and criticize. You're still better than Blackburn. :p