Black Lives Matter

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by prodigal_mind, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Shocked that there is no thread on here, but i just wanted to pay my respects to the black community. I hope that the movement catches on in Portugal so we can remove the statues of the disgusting racists from our history. I just ordered a Benfica Jersey with BLM on it and i advise all the forum users here to do the same for your respective clubs. Also feel free to donate to the cause as the oppression of black people needs to be put to a stop.

2. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I agree, thank you for this thread.
    I am disgusted by racists, there was a kid in my team two years ago his dad was racist, although his son was a good player. I banned his dad from games and his dad pulled him from my team.

3. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    #3 Joe Martelo, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Just bumping this thread.

we need to have more discussions about race on here. I notice many Portuguese like to pretend we aren’t racist but it’s time to confront our colonialist past and white fragility and come to terms with it.

my daughter is dating a black guy, and I don’t care. It’s actually pretty normal where I live (Toronto). I even gave him some tips on how to improve his soccer game. my daughter said she would come and make me some dinner for Father’s Day today (I am divorced) so I’ll probably see him later today.

I want her to focus on school first , but if they were to have a kid I wouldn’t complain. I would coach them to be a good soccer player. If they had a son, I think they could be like Nani as my daughter and myself are pretty technical players and her boyfriend is fast and tall. He also has decent dribbling and soccer was his second sport, his first sport is basketball. He is a fan of Manchester United and likes Bruno fernandes a lot, I told him hey bud I told you so.

4. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    this is so true. This forum is absolutely full of privileged white males. It’s not enough to just say you are not racist, you need to be anti racist. Especially if you are white since you are automatically born with the sin and need to repent.

Joe Martelo repped this.
  5. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I am an anti racist.
    I have friends from all races and am proud of that fact.

the other day an Indian friend visited me and we practiced physical distancing and ordered Indian food on Uber Eats. He also likes football and we discussed football in great detail.

I also apologized on all
    Portuguese’s behalf for the atrocities committed by Vasco da Gama and the others from the 15-17th century.

6. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I’m confused. If you’re white you’re automatically born with the sin of slavery? Please remind yourself that slavery existed in Africa far before a Portuguese ever set foot there. And we didn’t go looking for slaves, we went looking for a trade route to Asia to avoid having to pay all the middle men in between for spices. The Africans TRADED their slaves to us. Maybe some Portuguese went and captured some in the years following but this idea that a bunch of guys got on a boat and captured people as slaves in lands they don’t even know...

Also this appeal to buy a Benfica BLM Jersey... Who exactly is helping who? Give me a break. We are all privileged? Shut up, most here are immigrants or children of immigrants. I’ve had more abuse in this country specifically because of being white and specifically because of being a foreigner than I’ve ever seen given to a black person. That’s not to say black people don’t experience racism but there is a general willful ignorance in society right now because most black people who die at the hands of the police, do some stupid shit to help create that scenario. Even with the guy in Minnesota, he kicked at them from the back of the squad car. If he didn’t he’d still be alive. Instead people want to steal from stores because... somehow this cures racism?

This forum is meant for soccer so you shouldn’t be surprised people aren’t talking about it here because frankly, ITS ALREADY ********ING EVERYWHERE ELSE. Is it possible to have a single place on the internet that doesn’t need to shove racial politics down your throat? Apparently not, how ********ing sad is that? If at one point in history we were an enlightened species we are quickly on the descent from the perch of enlightenment. You have morons in Seattle creating places segregated by race yet somehow those are the anti-racists.

There are 30/40 million slaves STILL in Africa. Zero protests about that. The Russians must be laughing their ass off at the downfall of Western society and culture. The best part is when they use these rappers to send these political messages. The same rappers who got handed million dollar contracts to spew shit music that breeds racism because half the crap they call music is about doing drugs, shooting people, stealing, killing etc. Nobody asks why is that? But they will continue to buy in to the main generator of modern day racism. You guys are so far away from the real problem it’s laughable. But hey, go protest. Not sure it matters for a group of people that never had enough faith in democracy to try to elect someone outside of the two groups in power in the US.

RedBullSeven repped this.
  7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

So you show up here after being gone for several years to post this?

Lol.

8. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would ban you if I was the mod such a bigoted post.

9. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Yes, Slavery has existed since Antiquity, but it does not make it any better. So what if slaves were often sold rather than being directly captured? it is still a crime.

We should remain guilty and acknowledge these issues, because silence just perpetuates further inequality.

30/40 million slaves still in Africa? you do know that Africa largely lags behind in socio-economic development precisely BECAUSE of western colonialism? that is something that structurally leaves an adverse impact on society for generations and generations. Another example, is the horrible treatment of the indigenous tribes of Canada. This marginalized group continues to experience higher rates of alcoholism, drug use, and incarceration. Many of their forefathers had their culture stripped away from them, as they were forcibly westernized within institutions, that have become known as residential schools.

I am really disappointed in your attitude. Can you explain exactly how you have had more abuse than any black person you saw? is it because you are white and probably live in a gated community, sheltered away from the plight of racial minorities? I really want to hear this. What did you eat for dinner? Many that I know can only scrap to afford 2 dollar burgers at McDonalds, and hence this harms their health and contributes to shorter life expectancy.

I am an immigrant myself, but I do not have much money. My daughter's boyfriend is black and so are many kids I coach and people in my community. I have seen plenty of racism. Also, there are a lot of rich Portuguese immigrants in Canada - they are treated very well here and are exceptionally privileged compared to minorities.

10. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
  11. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #11 prodigal_mind, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    you are obviously speaking from a place of privilege. Disgusting post! This abuse you claim to have faced is probaly just a symptom of white fragility

the people doing most of the looting are white supremacists btw. The whole point of the Benfica black lives matter jersey is to spread awareness. There is and always has been systemic racism. Whites don’t allow blacks to prosper in the USA and the oppression blacks face even cause them to resort to gangs and in turn kill each other. I stopped dating white girls not long ago because my biggest fear in life was finding out I was in love with someone who will one day reveal their true racist thoughts. I stick to non whites now. Another benefit about this is that i dont have to worry that my children will be racist anymore as anyone can be radicalized after watching a few jordan peterson or ben shapiro videos no matter how good of a parent you are.

I have faith in you.

Joe Martelo repped this.
  12. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  13. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree that's why I have all my black friends 10 dollars each

14. VERDINHO

VERDINHO Member

May 29, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    George Floyd was a career criminal. Look up his crimes. Disturbing. The media is portraying this man to be the modern day Jesus Christ who died for your sins. Don't get me wrong, his murder was wrong, and the cops responsible deserve to suffer legal consequences, but that is it. Everything that has happened after that is an absolute embarrassment.

BLM's main principle is that they want white people to pay reparations to black people. They also tend to fight racism with racism. We now live in a society where its okay to be anti-white. As an anti-racist of all kinds, that bothers me.

Also,
    Who created the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade? PORTUGAL.

Portugal ended slavery 100 years before the USA did, but nobody pays attention to that part. When it comes to slavery, we are public enemy #1.

15. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You know what I find truly sad? People like you and Aveirenses will go to your death beds never knowing just how absolutely mother Fu*"ing stupid you are. Really hope the both of you have no kids, we need to find ways to prevent mouth breathers from reproducing.

16. VERDINHO

VERDINHO Member

May 29, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've just read two of the most pathetic pieces of emotional garbage in awhile. Grow up.

Some of you guys really need help. It really goes on to show everything thats wrong with your side of the political aisle and it's why Trump is going to win again.

17. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You read? Sure you didn't get help with that? #WWE #Jesus #Patroit #Guns #Nascar #conspiracytheories #lackofeducation #QAnon #foxnews.

18. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    This is some real cuck shit. How you managed to make this about you is pretty unreal. You have to be looking reeeeeaaaalll hard to find people who think Portugal is public enemy number 1. If anything, portugal is getting off easy, most people dont even know Portugal started the slave trade.

Also, the main purpose of BLM is in no way shape or form for white people to pay reparations.

Genuinely, I think you need to get off the internet and speak to some real humans. These are some pretty surreal statements.

19. VERDINHO

VERDINHO Member

May 29, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #19 VERDINHO, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020

Oh, the irony. Where are you talking to your fellow humans in the real world? BLM protests? Liberal havens? Grow up. You should explore the world a bit more, you aren't getting the full scoop on what alot of people REALLY think about BLM. It's a total cult.

You act like this is the first time you have heard any opposition of any sort to BLM.
    That is what i find pretty surreal. How boxed in you are so you can have your biases verified. It sounds like you are the one that needs to 'get out' more.

All lives matter.

20. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    All Lives Matter? This thread is getting ridiculous. Didn’t realize we have so many ignorant posters.

21. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yea ridiculous, it always makes me mad when i hear all lives matter. White lives do not matter as much as black lives right now. Our people have lived in harmony for centuries, black people wish they can have half the privilege we have. This is why i said i only get with interacial girls as my biggest worry is having white kids become alt right wingers like aveirenses. Im still waiting for him to describe how exactly he has been treated worse than black people. Especially since according to his post history he claims to be very wealthy. He just sounds like a privileged and very fragile white man. Hes the type of person who probaly walks into clothing store and sees the employee serve a black customer before him, then goes home and cries about how he suffered racism that day due to being white.

22. VERDINHO

VERDINHO Member

May 29, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #22 VERDINHO, Jun 24, 2020
    There it is, the libtard defense to 'All Lives Matter'.

"All other lives do not matter as much as black lives right now"

You guys all parrot the same thing. Like robots. Non-player characters. NPC's.

It really goes on to show how warped your heads are. The George Floyd incident was isolated to Minneapolis, but all of the sudden it transforms into this global thing where all of the sudden we are living in the 1800's again and there is no equality for black people everywhere? I am not buying it, not sorry.

Never kneeling.

All Lives Matter.

23. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #23 prodigal_mind, Jun 24, 2020
    Its a fact black lives are under more oppression than any other race in this moment of time. All lives matter, but black lives right now takes precedence due to the systemic racism against them.

I hope one day you can check your privilege. I used to be ignorant as well, but i am glad i saw the light and became enlightened on the subject. I'm hoping Biden and Trudeau eventually run with a promise of reparations. Conservatives are already trying to cheat in the election by stopping mail in voting to voter suppress and are even trying to bring in voter id which is once again oppressive to african americans. Ever since trump took office african americans are under more and more race attacks. Please just try to imagine if you had to fear for your life to go to the store to buy skittles or to go out on a jog. Its disgusting that any other race can do these things without fear but for some reason african americans can potentially die doing these things by right wing lunatics

24. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    IMG_9580.JPG IMG_9581.JPG
    Hey guys. Should we break down this piece of history for BLM? Columbus is on it. Let’s continue to worship a man that put a gun on a pregnant woman’s body. Like black people aren’t racist. Like Portuguese Americans never face discrimination and bigotry. We aren’t even consider to be that white for ******** sakes.

VERDINHO repped this.
  25. VERDINHO

VERDINHO Member

May 29, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A reasonable person!

[​IMG]