Black iPod

Discussion in 'Technology' started by skipshady, Jul 12, 2004.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    <insert politically incorrect joke here>

Jaguar giving away limited edition black iPod
    I wish I heard about this earlier. They had 75 to give away, but only have one left now. Then again, I thought a black iPod would look badass, but I am left unimpressed:
    [​IMG]

From the article:
    It's nice that they're thinking about me. Not that I would (or could) buy an X-type any time soon.

That is, unless you dangle a free iPod in their face. Then they'll follow you to your website, apparently.

2. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    That is pretty lame. They could really make a black one look cool, but alas, I'll keep my white one.

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    i hate the white. the black is ok, but my biggest problem with the iPod is that I think it's ugly and i like my portable electronics to function as accesories...perhaps it's the metrosexual in me coming out.

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    See, I love my iPod -it looks better in person than in photos- but I like the look of the iPod Mini better.

The black iPod is a good idea in theory, but I hate the white buttons and the black lookes too matte. Maybe bronze or dark gray (a la Apple's "brushed metal" interface) would work better?

Speaking of alternate colors for iPod, I'd like to see Apple come out with bright colors like red, blue, yellow or green. Remember My First Sony? Now, those were awesome.
    [​IMG]

5. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Didn't I see in another thread where you could turn your iPod "old school" by putting it inside a plastic case and it was as big as an 80's walkman? It kinda looked like this My First Sony.....and about as big. hehe.

6. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Yeah, it's called the "Retropod" hahaha

[​IMG]

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I still have that real Walkman sitting at home. :)

8. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Do you actually still have cassette tapes to play in it?? :D

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. They're keeping my dresser level. ;) Actually I still do have most of the tapes I owned before CDs, I just haven't listened to them in 6 years.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I'm thinking about burning some of my MP3s to tape to free up some hard disk space.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok, my dad is going to the US of A for 2 weeks tomorrow. I spoke to him today and out of the blue he asked me was there anything I'd like bringing back - other than a Kerry/Edwards banner (he'll be in Boston the precise time the convention is) I couldn't think of anything - but then 'ipod' flashed into my mind.
    Despite the better exchange rate over here, ipods are still stupidly expensive here compared with the US.
    I thought about getting an ipod mini - are they much good? They say 1000 songs can fit onto it, but they say it has 4GB of memory. Can 1000 normal songs fit into 4GB? Obviously they won't take too many 17 minute versions of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" but then I'm not in permanent prog rock mode.
    Also if there's a good place in NYC (narrowing it down, he's going all over the NE) to buy these things cheaply - do tell and I'll pass on the info to him.
    Basically, are they worth it?

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    iPod Minis are still sort of "hot" despite the new iPod notMini, so I don't know if your dad will be able to find a good deal. According to Pricegrabber.com, every place has it for around $250.

Also, Massachusetts has a lower sales tax (5%?) than New York City (8.625%), so he'll save a little bit of money buying it in Boston than in NYC. The most obvious place to look is the Apple Store (I think there's one in Cambridge, near Harvard's campus), but major electronics retailers like Best Buy will have it too.

As for the 1,000-song claim, "a song" is a 4-minute recording encoded at 128 kbps, and AAC is near-CD quality at 128kbps. So, that's 4,000 minutes or 66-plus hours of music.

Is it worth it? Well, for $50 more, you can get the new bigger iPod with 20GB of memory, so you're paying for the look and the smaller size. Depends on if that kinda thing matters to you. And a lot of places might be trying to clear inventory on the older iPod (suggested retail for the 15GB is $300).

I like my iPod. It's small enough and sounds good enough, and I buy music from the iTunes store instead of real stores, so it works out for me. And then there's pPod.

13. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks. I'm a bit behind the times on the old portable music front. I haven't had anything worth having since my last walkman gave up the ghost in the early 90s. I didn't like portable CD players, and mini discs just passed me by and it's only now I'm looking at mp3.
    It's all a bit of a blur but you've cleared the waters a lot. And thanks for the scoop about Mass.

With regards to the machines themselves - I pondered whether I actually had 1000 songs I'd listen to, let alone more than three times that for the 15GB and God only knows what I'd fill 20GB up with. Having said that, the bargain hunter in me can't just ignore the fact that you're geting far more for your money the bigger you go. Size wasn't a massive factor as even the bigger ipods are much smaller than anything I would consider 'large'.

I'll just give you a quick price comparison I rustled up (best UK prices):
    ipod 20gb - £224 = $412
    ipod 15gb - £183 = $336 (avg price is £210/$386)
    ipod mini - £175 = $322

Ahhhh, it's the old coolness/size/age type trade-off scenario dealy.

Another question - in the US, if the mini is $250 and the 20gb is $50 more - why are people still selling the 'old' 15gb ones for $300?

14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Don't plan on being able to buy a mini in a retail store in NYC. I've been waiting for mini's to be in stores in NYC since they first became available and still haven't had any luck. At the Apple store they say that occasionally get new shipments, but I've never seen any proof.

Boston may be better for buying a mini because I think Manhattan is the biggest I-pod consumer, but I wouldn't count on it.

The near-cd quality is a bit of a misnomer, IMO. I'm not much of an expert but I think there is a noticeable drop off in quality. I also think it usually works out to be less than the number of songs than they claim. For instance my 40 gig doesn't really have 40gigs of space on it and there are always songs that are longer than 4 minutes.

I'm glad I got the 40gig (and glad to hear that the 60 isn't coming out soon so I don't feel obsolete). I don't go running and when I do exercise with it, I use a small pack - I don't mind that I can't strap it to my arm like with the mini, but some prefer the smaller, lighter mini. I have about 4000 songs on it right now and I like the fact that I don't have to worry too much about running out of room. I don't want to have to manage what's on my portable audio other than create a playlist or two.

After Tivo, this is probably the coolest electronic device to come down in a while. Totally worth it.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Can you get on the waiting list at the Apple Store? And I think they have free delivery in Manhattan... I'm wondering since I want to get Airport Express (I could use better wireless reception in my bedroom and I want to plug in my speakers and printer) but it's on backorder right now.

maczebus,
    If your dad can get a good deal on the "old" (as in, less than 1 year old) iPod, then I would go for it. The battery life could be better (a lot better) but otherwise, it's still a great machine. I won't be replacing mine any time soon.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not sure they're doing the waiting list anymore. They don't offer it when you ask about minis and they don't have a recording anymore about it.

I assume your getting the newer cheaper Airport basestation? I bought mine a few weeks ago and they said they were phasing out the old and bringing in a newer cheaper one.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Honestly, I didn't think the Minis would be a hit at all. I figured a few early adapters would buy it but it wouldn't sell all that well otherwise. Which explains why I'm not Steve Jobs.

Yeah, I'm getting the new cheaper one. There's already a wireless network in the house, and I'm going to use the Express to get better reception and print/play music wirelessly.

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love my aiport express.

19. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    I just got a mini iPod. I ordered it from the Apple website and then waited four weeks before they sent it directly to me from Shanghai.

While looking for a case for the thing at the Short Hills Apple store, the sales people said that they do occasionally get shipments of mini iPods, but they sell out in a day. Ordering online is the only reliable way to get it.

20. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ain't NYC, but they do have the mini iPods at the Apple Store in Roosevelt Field Mall out in Garden City. My buddy bought the regular one and they seemed to have a decent amount in stock. Plus you get a $30 discount if you present your student id along with a driver's license. Of course the tax is high so it almost cancels out the discount.

21. snowsuit

snowsuit New Member

Oct 1, 2000
    san diego
    weren't the 4th generation ipods supposed to come in different colors? how disappointing that didn't turn out to be the case. wouldn't apple sell craploads more if the full-sized ipods didn't come only in dorky white?

& you can still see the ipod peeking out of that '80s walkman shell. $100? ******** that in the ass.

i guess it kinda annoys me that portable mp3 players look so dumb. i'll have to go back to buying records again unless i want to be shuffling through sleeveless burned CDs for the rest of my life.

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    There are still rumors coming out of Best Buy that the next release of the 4th generation 'Pods will have different colors, though it might just be a labellling thing to help their employees (remember, it's "Best Buy", not "Best Employees" or "Best Service").

Seriously though, I don't know how many more craploads they can sell, especially when people seem to like the white and half the people I ride the train with are listening on their iPods. But I think you'll see a bump in the Mini's iPod, which is more for the form-over-function folks.

23. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Supposedly, Hitachi is set to announce a 6GB mini hard drive (the iPod mini uses Hitachi's similar sized 4GB drive) for a 4Q release, so many people are expecting a 6GB iPod mini announcement later this year (with the software improvements of the recently announced 4G iPod). I imagine there will be different colors, a la the original iMacs.

If you want a 3G color iPod, here you go:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/accessories.aspx

They seem to have a multitude of colors.

[​IMG]

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Which reminds me. HP is supposed to come out with HP-branded blue iPod this summer when they start shipping HP and Compaq PCs with iTunes installed.

25. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Man this sucks. If I knew I could get it in different colours I wouldn't have got it in this cheesy white.

Damn it :mad: