Black & Blue Award

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GoRapids, Oct 20, 2004.

1. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    2004 Colorado Rapids "Black and Blue" Award, to the player who most exemplifies the Rapids' team spirit of Black and Blue. This will be the first year of this award, and the winner will have his name inscribed on the trophy, as will each yearly winner from here on.

2. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Heh ... I forgot Cannon :)

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with Spencer as a farewell gift. He has been the captain and leager of the team. This season wasn't his greatest but I'm giving this one with the past in mind.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    What exactly is meant by the "team spirit of Black and Blue?"

Seriously. Just what does that mean to the Rapids this season? I could argue that this year it implies the player who has been injured the most. Should it then go to the player who has played through injury? The team goon? Or simply someone who leaves it all on the field, week in and week out?

I assume the latter, but it seems odd to label that as "black and blue."

5. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Greenie's right on this one, what is Black & Blue? I'm forced to use my own interpretation on this one so here is my definition:

This award should be given to the player that most exemplifies a willingness to carry-on in the face of adversity. Willingness to play through pain, and yet still continue to give quality outings and contribute to his side. This award should be given to the player that always puts in 90 minutes regardless of scoreline, isn't afraid to foul or be fouled...

Having these as the criteria for a "Team Spirit -Black & Blue" award, I could think of no one more deserving on this squad than Chris Henderson.

As far as a gift or token award for Spencer, I have too much respect for that man, and think he would feel almost insulted to get an award out of charity. Spencer will be acknowledged by the fans, and John Spencer knows that each and everyone of us thinks the world of him as a player and a person.

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go with team spirit and leadership and that's why I voted Spencer. No one aside from Cannon has really stepped up this season. So I give it to Spencer for the past few seasons.

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? There were a few banners on the front of the supporters section but that is all I've seen.

I don't mean out of charity. I'd give it to him for previous service because this is the first year for the award.

8. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call this the leadership award, and I give it to Spencer for stepping down as captain before the end of the season and letting Pablo take the reigns of the captaincy. Pure class, Rapids spirit, all the way.

9. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By being given the Captain's armband time in and time out, he was Pepsi Best 11, it's not like the guy is short on accolades. On the other hand, neither is Henderson... I mean, in all fairness, this award could be a contruct of the Rapids organization in order to honor Spenny somehow before he goes, but hell, it could be Henderson's last year too. I stand by my statements regarding this award and how I would think that Spencer would regard it.

If you want to give out awards on prior service, that's what lifetime achievement awards are for. I don't see this organization ignoring John Spencer, and not putting him in with Paul Bravo and Marcelo Balboa on the Rapids wall of fame. Spencer will no doubt get his, he doesn't need an award for this year based on prior service.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris "Energizer Bunny" Henderson. Only Cannon and Borchers played more minutes than him, but Henderson was going as hard in the 90th minute of every game as he was in the 1st. Many games he seemed like the only field player who cared about the result. He also tied with McDLT for the team lead in assists.

11. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voting's tight on this one I see. A lot of good arguments, but I have to go with Hendo.

I love Spenny, but this year there have been a few nights where he just didn't seem to "be in to it". I don't know if it was frustration, or apathy, or fatigue... whatever. I agree that handing over the armband was a class act, but I just dont feel he "left it on the field" every night. Something I felt Hendo did.

I like the definition of "leaves it all on the field", as you can probably guess, although the "official" description isn't that clear.