BL Matchday 29: BVB vs Mainz

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, Apr 13, 2019.

1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bürki
    Wolf Weigl Akanji Diallo
    Delaney Witsel
    Sancho Reus Bruun Larsen
    Götze

2. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sancho scores the 1:0, nice assist by Götze.

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sancho 2:0. Deflected again but not an undeserved result.

4. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    First half ends 2:0. Good first 35-40 minutes, the lead could have even been higher. But we also started to lose control towards the end just as I thought that it's nice to see the team trying to keep scoring despite the lead. Weigl had a few mistakes too many for my taste. That should warn the team that they need to keep their concentration up.

A few weeks ago, I thought this would be a tough game against a team fighting to stay in the league. So far, Mainz looked quite poor and they play like a team that has nothing to fight for. This should be a game to improve the goal differential. Against this Mainz team, the target should be to erase what last week's result did to it.

5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolf has been outstanding.

6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The second half looks more like last week's performance from us. Bruun Larsen needed to get subbed 20 minutes ago. He tries much and works hard but nothing's working for him and we lose too many balls because of him.

7. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    How bad is Guerreiro's injury? JBL needs to go on loan and play.

8. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I can't explain how such a first half can turn into such a nail-biter. A lucky 2:1 win but barely anything positive can be taken from the second half. Sancho seemed to be the only good one in offense in the second half. Bürki deservedly gets praise from the stands.

Matthäus thinks we looked really tired but I don't know, the workload the last weeks wasn't high. Reus doesn't agree to use that as an excuse as well. Either way, playing like we did in the second half, we won't win anything.

kbvb and astrophyz repped this.
  9. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Burki ends up saving our asses...something I would not have thought would be the case after the first half performance. Unfortunately, this has been a constant this season with regards of taking the foot off the gas and getting dominated by inferior opponents which reflects on coaching lack thereof.

hava repped this.
  10. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Changing the back line in the middle of the second half probably has something to do with it.

11. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Larsen was by far the worst player out there, how he gets ahead of phillip every time is beyond my understanding

12. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It looked as if Wolf had an issue shortly before getting subbed. But his sub alone cannot be such a factor. Mainz attacked with ease through the middle or our left side as well. The whole team just watched the ball instead of taking control.
    Favre correctly said that one issue was that the FBs were too often in 1 against 2 situations. It's nice that he makes that observation. The negative aspect is, I somehow didn't see a response to address that challenge when the solutions for that are pretty basic.

13. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This team is fluking their way past oppositions like Mainz. JBL is horrible. He cannot hold up the ball, score tap ins, create chances, beat his man....you name it. How does he start ahead of Mo?

If not for Burki, Wolf and Sancho, we do not get away with 3 points. Götze, Witsel, Akanji and Diallo were somewhat decent. But what the hell do the rest of the squad do? Reus, Delaney, Weigl either did not show up or make a ton of mistakes.

We are lucky that Bayern will be facing Frankfurt and Leipzip in their last 2 matches.

Our midfield is literally just Axel Witsel. No wonder we cannot retain the ball. Losing Gurreiro and Hakimi to injury has caused us a lot of problems on the left.

hava repped this.
  14. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I really hope that the Wolf substitution was forced, otherwise it's a very bad one. I would have introduced Paco instead, where we're up 2-0. Or even introduce Dahoud to better control the midfield.
    I think Favre has to consider playing either Reus or Gotze as a winger with all the injuries. This way they can both stay on the pitch with Paco.

hava repped this.
  15. kbvb

kbvb Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Top performance from Wolf. He is showing some promise at RB position and has done pretty well so far.

Sancho has to be the most consistent (and best) player for us this season. His ability to make right choices in final 3rd stands out. The kid has a bright future.

Gotze had one of the best games for us after his return from Bayern. Created lots of opportunities to score.

JBL is good at taking the ball forward through link up play, but messes up all the good work with poor choice of pass. He killed 2 of our best opportunities (one with 4 vs 1).

Diallo has some of the best dribbling skills in our squad and helps a lot with attack. However, by 60th min, he looked tired and we were exposed on the left flank since then.

Average performance from Reus, Witsel and Weigl.

Team looks scared every time there's a set piece against us. Even with Akanji, Zagadou, Diallo, Toprak, Witsel, Delaney on the pitch, we sucked at handling set pieces.

Leadership on the pitch is clearly lacking ever since Kehl retired.

hava repped this.