BL 20/21 MD 13: Union Berlin - BVB

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by podrinje, Dec 18, 2020.

1. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Second game in four days for Terzic. Union has been the surprise of the season thus far so it will be a challenging game for us.

Terzic has decided to roll out with almost the same line-up as against Bremen bar two changes:

Burki
    Guerreiro Akanji Hummels Meunier
    Can Witsel
    Sancho Reus Reyna
    Moukoko

I'm disappointed that Hazard is not playing and would like to have seen Dahoud in place of Wisel or Can.

2. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Awful line up. Clearly the influential players have demanded to play.

Can and Witsel should not be playing together. I can't watch the match tonight, but I will be recording it and watching it tomorrow morning.

Hopefully we should win, but far too defensive playing Can and Witsel.

Bellingham rightfully deserves to be dropped, but one of Bellingham or Dahoud has to always play.

Edit

Nice to see Moukoko start again.

astrophyz repped this.
  3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hazard still has injury issues.
    I'm a bit worried that the whole offense played 90 minutes on Tuesday I think except Moukoko who played 80. I was surprised that none of them got subbed and I'm even more surprised that they start again. But looking at the bench, there is no one else except Brandt for Reus.

I don't mind Can in midfield as he's someone who can create even if he's not as elegant as others. A bit more creativity in midfield would have been nice though.

4. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    i could see a low scoring affair like their Bayern match

5. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    this isnt pretty

6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It is a bad game and we already made several mistakes in defense that could have easily ended in goals. We also have problems with their simple pressing which is a bit embarrassing.

7. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    It was incredibly stupid playing Can and Witsel. We know it does not work and the reason must be, because Can and Witsel are big names.

8. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bad luck for Moukoko who hit the post.

0:0 at halftime. Not good enough.

9. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    yeah the post was unlucky but we really didnt create a lot

10. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Favre over here going...

with me - without me.... crap doesnt matter

11. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Berlin scores...that corner wasn't well defended.

12. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Moukoko answers, almost a repeat of his first half chance. Great finish.

13. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    The line up was a shocking one. I can't ca watch, but our big problem has been the midfield. Witsel has been terrible for a while and the partnership together with Can is the worst possible one.

Terzic needs to bring on Dahoud quick. Now depending on who has been better he needs to either take Reus off for Brandt or, move Reus to the left and bring on Brandt.

14. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    someone put up a video of his goal.. younger goal scorer in BL ever

15. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    really brandt for reus? um how about witsel?

16. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    we really have no freaking people at all to place in there for offense off the bench. sad state of affairs

17. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Another corner, another goal for Berlin...

18. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    and theres that.. so leaving in witsel amounted to what exactly

19. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    we will get one back

20. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Very disappointing to lose such a game where the opponent just plays the simplest football: Pressing and relying on dead ball situations. We need to find solutions to that.

In another thread someone mentioned in regards to selling Sancho that we have enough options. Today showed that it doesn't take much to be out of any options at all.
    Sancho fades the longer the game goes on and just cannot go on playing 90 minutes. Moukoko was engaged till the end but otherwise our offense was very quiet and visibly tired at the end. But there were simply no alternatives available for the wings who were poor for most of the game.

I thought Witsel didn't look too bad for what he is supposed to do. He often helped out in defense and was semi-decent in the build up. But we definitely lacked pressure coming from our midfield and opening passes for our offense. Only Guerreiro did that. I thought Berlin defended quite high at times and it seems only our defenders can take advantage of that.

21. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    That was me and I completely understand but it would be totally bewildering to me that we would have nothing to rely on as far as subs go

22. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    If we look at the central areas: Witsel, Can and Reus, none of them are creators. It's telling that Guerreiro created like 3 dangerous balls from central areas where he so weirdly and enjoyably drifts. I think more than these 3 guys combined.

We need creators in the middle! Brandt and Dahoud. These are basically the only options. Heck, we can play Guerreiro there too, and he'd do better too. We should have at least one of them in the middle.

23. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Watched the first half and Witsel was awful. Typical hiding performance. I will watch the second half later. Can at least showed for the ball, but we need more creativity.

Everyone knows what has to be done. But it is going to mean upsetting people.

Dahoud and Brandt/Reyna in a three man midfield. Reus can move to the left. Hazard/Sancho can fight it out for the right wing.

The results are the same because we are playing the same foolish midfield.

Witsel must never play for this club again.

24. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    It's the same problem and things actually got better when Brandt played, because he passes the ball quickly.

Can is a defensive midfielder, but he showed more for the ball and tried to pass quicker even though it's not his game. Our defenders are ponderous in possession because they lack options. We can only progress up the pitch by going out wide

It's really not rocket science what needs to be done. Until we play a 3 man midfield with Can, Dahoud and Brandt we will continue to struggle.

25. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I agree with that 3-man midfield, Can surrounded by Dahoud and Brandt. If that's going to work like early 2010's Barca, then we'd need a lot of overlapping runs from our FB's. But we're handicaped on the right, until/unless Morey can show more of his promise.

But right now, the only player who can play the #10 in 4-2-3-1 is Reus, and he's in bad form. Maybe Reinier can do it, but you can't throw him in the fire and give him all responsibility.

So that's another point 4-3-3.

Speaking of youngsters showing more of their promise.. I feel like young players who have grown up under Favre's coaching have been football-traumatized in a way. They were taught to always be cautious and pass the ball back. I remember watching Morey when he first joined, and he was having much more fun, though admittedly it was in summer pre-season games. But I feel like Reyna too could use some de-Favrisation :)

eaglespark repped this.