BL 05/06 R26 Borussia Dortmund - Kaiserslautern [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by jonam, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    The Stuttgart match ended surprisingly with a draw but we still suffer from the draw at home against Mainz. On Saturday we HAVE to win. If not...the small hope of UEFA cup is completely gone.

2. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    I will be making my first trip to the Westfalenstadion for this game!

Will also be there Wednesday for the Länderspiel - I am still working on my anti-Klinsi posters :p

3. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Oh how I envy ohk4. Jonam is right this is a MUST win. We just can't keep dropping points if we intend to grab a UEFA Cup spot.

4. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    First match v Kaiserslautern finished in a draw (3-3). A draw, big surprise there. Smolerak scored a hat-trick but so did Altintop for FCK. Fortunately he won't take part on Saturday so that bodes well for BVB. Rosicky still hoping to be fit to take part in the match, any further updates?

5. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Shit, just read that Altintop should be ready for Saturday.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beating Kaiserslautern is something this team should be able to do. If you can't beat a relegation candidate at home in such an important match, then the UEFA Cup is a pipe dream--then again BVB drew against Mainz so...

The nice thing though is that the middle of the table is so packed, as poor as BVB have been lately, its only a four-point gap to that second UEFA Cup spot.

7. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    I second all of your comments and picked out this last little bit. Just imagine if BVB had been able to win a couple of those drawn matches. Surely they'd be in the driving seat on a European berth.

8. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Maybe Odonkor will be on the bench tomorrow as he wasn't performing well in today's practise session. Steegmann would be our central striker and Smolarek moving to the right. Still I doubt that David will not start. Especially against a weak defence like Kaiserslautern he will be a weapon.

9. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly, based on recent form, I'd be more worried about Sanogo than Altintop.......

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good! Then you will know what to expect should you ever meet me there. Though, I think based on my upcoming location, we'll meet at the Frankenstadion again. :)

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kaiserslautern's youngsters are coming along from what their fans tell me.

I think Odonkor is in s#it form and possibly needs the rest. He has to be tiring and breaking down.

However, our offense has been so pathetic, that maybe Steegmann can help. I'm not "high" on him, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

12. david29

david29 Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This feels almost exactly like the buildup the the game against Mainz two weeks ago. A strong win puts us back in contention for the Uefa Cup place, but another poor home performance combined with next weekend's trip to Hamburg could see us closer to the relegation places than 5th spot.

That said, I think we'll be able to come away with a victory this afternoon. I don't imagine it'll be pretty, and I couldn't exactly tell you where the goals are going to come from, but I think we'll do enough. 1-1 at the break, 2-1 to Borussia by fulltime. Fingers crossed.

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope you are right, but these guys have done nothing to inspire me......

14. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  15. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    2-1 Skela scored, and now Kringe has.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen anything of it yet. About to check the BVB Club for highlights. Anyone here see the match??

17. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Nope. Waiting for your match report, actually.

18. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Awesome result. Anyone got highlights of the match?

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the result could have been even more in favor of BVB, if the chances had been converted. Good win, especially important with the Stuttgart-'Gladbach draw.

20. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yep. It really is big. Hopefully they'll string together some more wins and nab one of those UEFA cup spots.

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another guy is doing it today.

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't get that happy. We have to go to Hamburg next week.

23. david29

david29 Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We're also playing at Borussia-Park the week after, a fortnight that'll have a big impact on our hopes for 5th place. That said, results in Leverkusen and Gladbach went our way last night and our own win should give the squad some confidence. If we can actually put away some of the many chances we're creating then 4-6 points from those two matches isn't beyond us. Still a big if, however, despite yesterday's outcome.

24. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    well BVB had a lot of long shots and buckley played his best game so far, atleast that's what i think. hope to see something like this in our next game

25. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We still squandered too many chances for me to be confident in anything. It's not like we beat a really good team. FCK sucks. We were supposed to win this match.

We were "supposed" to beat Mainz too, but didn't. That's my problem. Mainz are better than FCK, but have no business taking points from us.

When this team puts together two or three straight wins, then I'll consider gaining confidence in them, but until then, they are just a disappointment waiting to happen as far as I'm concerned.