Bizaar to me?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by SH diddy, Aug 26, 2006.

1. SH diddy

SH diddy New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Livonia
    Can I get a hand from someone who may know something I missed.

1st....A defender intentionally kicks the BALL into his/her own net during play.....Whats the correct call?

This just happened in a U14 game and the ref said "Corner Kick"...had it been unintentional it would be an own goal.......Myself I am baffled!

Same game,,,,Goalkeeper plays a ball to her teammate in a wide area and the opposing forward choses to NOT chase and pressure,,,,,the back with the ball advancing to near the midline slows up and attempts to play a square ball to her centerback,,,however she miss hits the square pass and sprays the ball backward to the forward who had chosen not to chase...The ref calls offside.

Can an opponet play you a ball and force you into being offside?

Any help would be great on these.

2. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this "kick" was directly from a free kick then a corner kick is the correct call (deliberate or accidental). OTOH, if this was from the run of play, then it most likely should have been a goal, resulting in a kickoff for the kickee. ;)

YHTBT, but I think this would not be offside since the "defender" had complete control which would reset the offside picture. (In fact, a similar scenario is on the referee test. ;) )

3. SH diddy

SH diddy New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Livonia
    It was from the run of play in the 1st instance......I am well aware of the dead ball issue you bring up.....I think this ref has tied all balls played into their own net in the same catagory as "balls from restarts"

Also, a little help in this shorthand lingo.."YHTBT" ???

4. USRef

USRef New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    YHTBT: You had to be there

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    short answer: new ref (hopefully):eek:

6. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001

7. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    me too. What do you mean when you say "during play?" Are you sure this wasn't a dead ball restart/free kick? If it was a free kick, where was it taken from?

8. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a player puts a free kick directly into his own goal from within his own penalty area the kick is retaken because the ball does not become live until it moves from the penalty area to the field of play.

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do6, he does not state where the ball was kicked from, hence my comment in hopes that the ref had a prayer of doing the right thing. :)

Clearly, from subsequent comments, the ref needs a conversation with his mentor or assessor (and maybe a 2x4) lest he be found strung up by the short hairs in a the near future. :eek:

10. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Both of those calls seem to be misapplications of the Law. :eek:

11. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001