BitTorrent newbie help thread.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by M9fanatic, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I am new & I am trying it. I downloaded Azureus. When I use the configuration wizard & test the default port I get a NAT error. How do I find a port that works?

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to open your router, or you will always have a NAT error. The link I provided above covers D-Link routers, but the process is similar on other brands.

3. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    What does...

...mean? I get this everytime i start up Azureus.

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhh... that Azureus did not shut down tidily. [​IMG]

Are you sure you are logging out / shutting down cleanly? You may want to manually exit Azureus prior to logging out or shutting down if this is happening often. I occasionally get it - usually when I do something stupid and lock up my machine and have to reboot.

5. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    I need serious help. I'm getting the same "NAT error" when configuring Azureus. Only, I have no idea what/where my router is or even if I have one. I know it sounds stupid...and I'm embarassed, but I can't find it (if I have it) in order to change it. Doesn't one only have a router when he/she has more than one computer. I only have one. Anyway, can anyone help? The D-link weblink doesn't help me.

6. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    Nevermind...I think I figured it out somehow. Did it through my firewall.

7. TheKing G

TheKing G New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    california
    to watch a xvid file can use divx or vice versa . Basically im asking can you use divx or xvid to watch any avi files

8. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Can you do this if you connect to the internet DSLModem - Computer?

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just need to make sure your firewall software - even if it's the basic WindowsXP SP2 firewall - allows connections on some port range (6881-6889 is the default) that your bittorrent client is expecting incoming connections on.

10. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    1) How do I check my xp firewall settings?

2) I recently installed XP and had my bitorrent stuff going to an external hard drive. I had the shield season three, half way done, how can I resume that using azureus - or can I?

thanks.

11. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    i just click on the red X :confused: is there some other way to close it down?

12. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    OK, new to XP, that how do I check firewall settings was lazy :)

But, these speeds seem slow, slow, slow. I've got 4 seeds and 34 peers and I'm getting between 1-10 dl speads. Ports are open.

13. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I downloaded a movie. but when it was done i ended up with a folder full of Rar files? WTF do i do with them?

usualy you just open the file and play the movie.

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A rar file is a kind of zip file. You need a decompression program like 7-Zip (www.7-zip.org) - which is free. Just download it, install it, and open the first rar file in the archive and it'll automagically span the rest of the files together.

Usually they are 14.3 MB files, but I'm not sure what the significance is of that particular size. Splitting the file as such creates some redundancy, and allows you to go snag the missing portion (if you know where to find it) rather than redownload the entire file should there be a corrupt segment. That's more a throwback to the old newsgroup days, but it's still pretty valid today.

15. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    yeah i have the decompresion program but i dont know what to do with all these files. i decompress them and nothing happens.

its weird. my pc just freezes

16. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok...i have a mac laptop, and i basically use whatever wireless signal i can get as a connection. Most of the time, this signal comes from my school's library.

So, i downloaded BitTorrent a little while ago, tried to use it with a music torrent site, but with no results. Alll that would happen is the thing would show up in the viewer...but the download would never ever progress at all. And it wasn't like the thing i was trying to DL had no seeders either. It was pretty popular.

So, i get on here, and DL azereus instead, as it seemed like it was a bit more user friendly. Now, i'm at the configuration spot of it, and I'm testing port 6881, and it tells me i have a NAT error thing again. I went into system preferences, and it says that the firewall is off. Does this meant the libraray connection has some kind of built-in firewall or something? am i screwed if that's the case? Is there a special european port series i should be trying? I'm in the dark.

17. equakesfan

equakesfan Member

Sep 13, 2002
    San Jose
    I didn’t turn my VCR off so I was didn’t to tape the USA Trinidad game (Stupid VCR)

I was able to watch it off my computer by downloading Burst v3.1.0b from this site

http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/index.phtml?action=download

Next I went to this site to download the USA Trinidad game

http://torrents.huntparkinsider.com/index.html

I wasn’t able to play it on windows media player so I went to this site and downloaded DivX 5.2.1 for Windows 2K/XP

http://www.divx.com/divx/download/

I still don't understand half of this thread but I was able to watch the game.

Best of Luck

18. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I recently updated Azurus. Ever since them my download speeds have slowed down a lot.

Any ideas on what I need to change?

19. Wacky0151

Wacky0151 New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    hiya all.

wonder if any1 can help. I am after football albums from recent request from me m8s. But i am just wondering if any1 can help & suggest a bitorrent website were i can download football albums?

I hope u can help.

Regards.

Paul.

20. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Does anyone else use http://www.myseasonpass.com/ ?
    I love it - you basically set up subscriptions for programs you want to see, and new updates are listed as they are posted. Saves me the trouble of searching in individual torrent sites.