Bitcoin, Blockchain, Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    IIRC Madoff also just finagled client statements to show 20-25% returns regardless of what the market was doing. So that's why his clients considered him a "genius" Harry Markopolos knew it was a scam and warned the govt who ignored him

The biggest red flag, he believed, was that the return stream rose steadily with only a few downticks – represented graphically by a nearly perfect 45-degree angle. According to Markopolos, anyone who understood the underlying math of the markets would have known that such a return stream "simply doesn't exist in finance," since the markets were too volatile even in the most favorable conditions for this to be possible. Based on this and other factors, Markopolos eventually concluded that Madoff could not mathematically deliver his purported returns using the strategies he claimed to use. As he saw it, there were only two ways to explain the figures: Madoff was either running a Ponzi scheme (by paying established clients with newer clients' money) or front running (buying stock for his own and the hedge fund's accounts, based on insider knowledge about market impacts from about-to-be-executed client orders at his company's unrelated broker-dealer business).[4]

Markopolos later said that he knew within five minutes that Madoff's numbers didn't add up. He claimed it took him another four hours to uncover enough evidence that he could mathematically prove that they could have been obtained only by fraud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Markopolos

russ repped this.
  2. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Agreed.

Setting aside the scammy nature of these "exchanges" for a bit, I've been convinced that the underlying "securities" are worthless to begin with. While it might be cool that these mining rigs can solve ever-more complex mathematical problems, why does that provide value? And while crypto fanboys decry fiat currencies, how does crypto serve as a stable store of value?

Far smarter people than I, from Charlie Munger, to Jamie Dimon, to Warren Buffett have all failed to conclude that cryptocurrencies have any value whatsoever. So, I guess I'm saying what you're saying, in that cryptocurrencies simply turn real money into heat coming out of computers.

The Jitty Slitter and russ repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - that is exactly why I raise it in this context

If you control the trades AND have custody of the trading accounts/assets the potential to do fraud is big by falsifying the transactions.

Madoff claims to buy stocks in the fund which go up - except he never did the trade, and never received the stocks - but reports the gain.

SBF did exactly that in a new way. e.g a customer take a trade against alameda and makes 1m - reported into their trading account. But Alameda never pays in the corresponding loss. It is essentially a fake trade.

This is why he wanted to be able to do this at scale with US retail investors.

russ repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly.

This was the question that was resolved in the now infamous discussion between SBF and Matt Levine about cefi/defi - if you inflate a new token, and everyone agrees it is worth something - is this transparent ponzi real?

The instant collapse of Terra/Luna proved that in fact, these ponzis can collapse at any moment.

5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The funniest thing about Madoff was that not only did he not do the trades, he just stuck hundreds of millions in a Chase Private Client business account.

I have a Chase Private Client business account. You get a debit card and a direct line to customer service. They waive most of the nickel and dime fees that the poors have to pay. If you want to refinance, they offer some low interest financing. That's about all a Chase Private Client business account gets you.

But, yeah, sure, he was a financial genius.

russ, bigredfutbol and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to say that I really enjoy this thread.

Some of you are really good at understanding and explaining stuff that makes my eyes glaze over. (I actually have an economics degree and I work in public accounting and crypto is still pretty much Greek to me)

Really helpful reading from you all.

MattR repped this.
  7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    While I know you're not directing such compliments in my direction, I might still suggest the wonderful Crypto Island podcast.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #833 spejic, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    That's the frustrating thing. They are so obviously a scam even pro-crypto people admit it. But there's no way to prove it until it falls apart, and that could take a long time. They are very good at playing their game. They make it very hard to move large amounts on the open market, and don't let their coins get caught up in bankruptcies. It's probably the other big supposedly-backed-by-hard-money stablecoins that are going to fail first.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Binance CEO losing the room over him probably having to pay back 2.1bn received from FTX sale under clawback

10. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Binance really isn't long for this world. The run is only getting bigger and there are some weird shenanigans going on with stablecoins behind the scenes. Really massive movements in and out. The guess is that most of the people putting money into Binance were Chinese (they were based there originally until crypto was curtailed in that country) and they are trying to get their money out but in dollars or anything not yuan. So Binance is doing some major shifting to try and find dollars.

We have no idea where Binance is currently located and who the executives are besides CZ. This will be interesting. FTX failing was a disaster for crypto. Binance failing would be a cataclysm.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for some definitions of “cataclysm”

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean it's obviously crooked, but even if there is a chance it isn't crooked, why on earth you you risk having your crypto there?

Squawk box did a good job of showing him up there. If he wants high transparency and to set the gold standard in the industry, why doesn't he get a proper audit?

He then went on to claim that big auditors don't know how to audit exchanges like Binance

That is deeply pathetic

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  13. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    SBF is being held in a prison called Fox Hill. This is one of the worst prisons on Earth. It is grossly overcrowded and there is essentially no sanitation, healthcare, or prisoner protection from violence or rape from other inmates. There is most likely some sort of situation going on between him and corrupt elements of the Bahama government that he may have tried to influence at an earlier time (recall the situation with the "hacker" that isn't yet explained). Is he even going to make it to US custody? This isn't the kind of place you put someone if you want to guarantee that happening.

ChrisSSBB, russ and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    1397331.png

In normal company news, we had our 2022 wrap up townhall from our CEO this week. Maybe it's a reaction to all this crypto nonsense, but he said an analyst told him "you had a boring year. We like boring" :D

superdave and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
  16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy from the OC is correct about the fraud though.
    It's Kevin from shark Tank who is the mark-I mean,investor.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It must be delicious to all the contestants he roasted on Shark Tank that he was duped by a bushy haired punk in flip-flops sitting on a beanbag.

song219, superdave and russ repped this.
  18. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

here is the Chair of the House Financial Services Committee Maxine Waters blowing a kiss to the second largest donor to the Democrats in the past election cycle, Sam Bankman-Fried

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Looked like she was gesturing to the woman with him. But good luck with your outrage du jour.

celito and xtomx repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Let me remind you that SBF said he donated just as much to Republicans. He just didn't disclose it.

21. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    and you are gonna take his word for it?
    SBF has a reputation as an honest man?

22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, Maxine Waters is free? After what she did to that reporter? She's one of the most dangerous people in Congress. If she's blowing someone a kiss, they'd better get their affairs in order.

23. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes I do. Since he wanted to keep his Democrat brand in tact in public but probably also needed support from both sides of the aisle to get the legislation along with preferential treatment he wanted to get passed.

25. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    yes , I’m sure he have to the GOP too… but only Soros gave more to Left causes in the last cycle

until we get actual numbers, it seems his donations to the GOP were more of a ‘token’ variety