Birmingham Hammers (Birmingham, Alabama)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by BERTHOLD, Jun 17, 2014.

1. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
  2. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
    #2 BERTHOLD, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Update: The Birmingham Hammers are hosting U.S. soccer legend Eric Wynalda and his Wynalda Soccer Academy for a week long camp in Daphne, Alabama. Check out the Hammers Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/BhamHammers for more details.

3. jlove

jlove New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Haven't heard other updates lately. But there have been some large crowds in a number of locations in Birmingham for the World Cup games. Interest in soccer is clearly growing in Birmingham.

4. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Go Birmingham. Birmingham is going to be a great place for USL Pro.

5. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
    #5 BERTHOLD, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    It will be interesting to see how the USL Pro exploration reveals itself, if indeed, that is the level of competition under consideration. Could the Hammers be waiting on, or pursuing an Atlanta Silverbacks organizational move to
    Birmingham? Can the 'Backs, as an NASL franchise, co-exist and continue to grow in the Metro ATL market with Major League Soccer?

6. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Silverbacks are going to be finished. The Silverbacks are practice games for Terminus Legion. Birmingham can support a minor legion team. I just hope they get the right minor league and not the one that folds.

7. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Question may be ... What type of timeline is the Silverbacks organization on, in deciding their future?

8. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The thing that I worry about the most is that Birmingham finally gets a team and that league goes under. I don't think that it is very far out there to think that NASL will go under in 10 years.

9. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
    I'm not sure what the short and long term goals are for the NASL ... Although, there appears to be a variance of Philosophy between the NASL and MLS regarding the future of Professional Soccer in the marketplace.

Hammers could opt for a United Soccer Leagues affiliation, which would allow some flexibility in selecting a competition level.

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the team is strong, they can always switch leagues. Look at the end of the IHL. Six of their teams moved to the AHL and still exist:
    • Chicago Wolves
    • Grand Rapids Griffins
    • Milwaukee Admirals
    • Utah Grizzlies (relocated to Cleveland; Grizzlies would reappear in the ECHL)
    • Manitoba Moose (relocated to Newfoundland when Winnipeg got the Jets back)
    • Houston Aeros (moved to Des Moines on the whim of NHL affiliate Minnesota Wild, who also owned the Aeros)
    In addition, a seventh team, the Cincinnati Cyclones, moved to the ECHL. All of them still exist. In fact, the only reason two others--the Orlando Solar Bears and Kansas City Blades--folded is because they were owned by the same owner as the Griffins (Rich DeVos), and the AHL only allowed one team per owner. (The Solar Bears would reconstitute 10 years later in the ECHL. KC has a different, lower-level team.)

11. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seemed to remember from back when Nike/ Umbro sold the league that the new owners own the franchises for Atlanta and Birmingham. I'll see if I can find the article that was in.

12. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    They do. I've seen the article on BS before.

13. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
  14. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
  15. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :thumbsup:Good luck to Birmingham, they'd be a great addition to USL Pro.

16. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
  17. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
  18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Wild did not move the Aeros on a whim. Les Alexander, the owner of the Houston Rockets, who controls Toyota Center made it impossible for the Aeros to continue in that building. He just kept raising the rent until they left. He made sure the staff of the building did everything they could to make life difficult for the Aeros while they were there. I know several of the front office people for the Houston Aeros. They tried to make a deal with Alexander and then explored several other venues in the Houston area. The Wild wanted to stay in Houston. It just didn't work out.

kenntomasch repped this.
  19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/359940.html

NuRock Soccer Holdings, based in Atlanta, is led by Rob Hoskins and Alec Papadakis. NuRock Soccer Holdings is currently a USL franchisee with a Premier Development League operation in Atlanta and rights to acquire two USL First Division teams in Atlanta, Georgia and Birmingham, Alabama marketplaces, respectively.

RobtheAggie and ButlerBob repped this.