Birmingham City Centre being evacuated

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt Clark, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4668313.stm

On a Saturday night, the West Midlands police are patrolling Broad Street in the middle of the Birmingham city centre, emptying out bars and sending people home. According to BBC News24, a number of controlled explosions have been carried out around the area following "a credible and serious warning of potential danger".

The police have termed the announcement a "public declaration of caution", which according to post-9/11 government procedures is language used to announce a major terrorist threat (all of this from the live commentary on News24, which, like all rolling news networks, is liable to spill out any old shit as it becomes available).

For anyone who's been out on a Saturday night in Birmingham (the UK's second largest city), you will know that no police commander is going to order evacuation unless there's a damn good reason to do so ...

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    "controlled explosions"? Is that a typo, Matt? (I hope).

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Is that not an American term? It's what we call a procedure by which a suspect package/bag/whatever is blown up. It usually involves a robot or heavily armoured person approaching the package and setting tiny, carefully and specifically shaped bits of plastic explosive that will destroy the package - including any explosive device it may contain - without causing a wider detonation.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Yikes. Sorry. Yes, it's used here as well (sort of an oxymoron of course :)). In fact, that's what I thought you meant at first, but then I didn't see any mention of it in the linked article, so I thought maybe it was a mistake, thinking optimistically that perhaps you meant to write "controlled evacuations". Here's hoping a) nothing comes of this and/or b) they find something but succeed in stopping it.

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right here:

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Just so I don't look like such an idiot, I think the article has been updated since I first viewed it.

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D Fair enough.

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Morning reports suggest 20,000 people were evacuated and the chief of police in Birmingham explained the situation in more detail.

Like I said last night, it's got to be pretty credible if they're going to mobilise the police to clear 20,000 pissed Brummies out of Broad Street ahead of closing time.

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4665153.stm

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hmmmm. Seems to me that it would require more than a Saturday night prank to make the police evacuate the city centre of England's second city.

11. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just a procortion by looks of it, of soz for starting the other topic about this, i didn't see this thread :)

12. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If this happened in the United States, the leftists would be screaming that the Bush administration was fabricating a security threat to advance their political agenda. But, that's just because the left is full of kooks and nuts.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, people with half a brain raise a skeptical eyebrow when the little color coded terror alert is heightened to some new hue WITHOUT any such evacuations or more specific threats cited.

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I do agree with you that liberals have half a brain.

15. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    And you were also kind enough to confirm the point his subtext was making.

16. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well at least we left aren't narrow minded, backward thinking, un generous, full of bigotry, just look at my sig, that what it says about liberals in the dictionary, conservatives tend to be the oppisite of that

and your hate towards liberals shows what a right dick you really are, you are a very angry person

17. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thankfully, I can't see your sig. If you're using the dictionary to define liberals and conservatives then you are woefully behind the times.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's nothing to do with leftists... any opposition will have a tendency to do that sort of thing. Pretty much the same complaint was made, (along with many others), by right wing opposition parties when troops were called out at Heathrow airport.

The problem is, of course, that most electorates want entirely conflicting desires satisfied. They want to complain when something DOES happen... and they want to complain when something DOESN'T happen. They want to be secure... but they don't want to be inconvenienced or made to pay even one penny to achieve it.

The real story about this regarding America, of course, is that things that affect the ability of the US airlines to make money are usually quietly dropped.

19. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    during 1992-2000 Republicans were critisizing the Clinton government left right and centre, if a democrat government was in charge and doing this the conservatives would critisize just as badley.

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm not sure you're aware of how dishonest the Bush Administration has been. The warnings came out solely to benefit the campaign and had absolutely nothing to do with security.

Given the bogus warnings and the phony Iraqi nuclear threat, the next President is going to have a much harder time combatting real terror risks.