Birmingham, AL: USA vs. Guatemala WCQ Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nicodemus, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Call US Soccer. I'm sure you can get them at Will Call. They do have a number IIRC for just such an emergency. Go to their website. As much as I criticize them, I don't think they want to keep you out of the match.

I see you weren't charged. Heck, just buy the cheapest tickets and sneak on in to the supporters section if the tickets are for another area. It's not like we're going to narc on you. Don't worry about it!

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in an 80,000+ seat stadium on a weeknight. (Though the USA v. Argentina game in the '96 Olympics sold out.)

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless something has drastically altered, Legion Field security is very lax during soccer games. These crowds are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more tame than the college football crowds and they're quite relaxed. I've never had supporter's sections tickets at Legion, but have wandered in and out of the section no problem.

4. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Alright, I'll just get the cheapest tickets and jump in. I also talked five friends into going tonight, so we have to impress my friends from Baharain. :)

5. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    My friend and I missed the USSF deadline for ordering tickets through them, so I had to order through Ticketmaster, and the supporters section tickets were already sold out (this was three weeks ago). So I just ordered cheapie tickets for a nearby endzone section and am gonna make my way over to the supporters section once I'm in the stadium.

6. MelH

MelH Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Kalispell
    The USSF letter said supporters section was in section A & half of section B...

I wonder if the fine people in sections B, C, D, and E know that they WILL be standing and singing for the full 90?! I hope they wear their red! ;)

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Baharain has a big game against Japan tomorrow morning at 0530. Now, if you can find that game on in B-ham, you are a true friend! ;)

8. Blazer85

Blazer85 New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Hello from another in the Magic City!

It's now been reported that over 20,000 tickets have been sold. Just passing that info along.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Operation Whitesnake! Let it begin !!!!!

10. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I dont think I can find that game on in the whole country. They are going to have to settle for a Guatemalian asskicking. BTW, they think Baharain would kick our asses. They are true Eurosnobs. I really hope we dont lose. :)

11. MelH

MelH Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Kalispell
    Well, after all: Baharain IS ranked 52nd!

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    if you are from Bahrain, wouldn't you be an Asiansnob? :)

13. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Uh, I dont know. I know a lot of Americans that are Eurosnobs. :)

14. MrSparkle

MrSparkle New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Downers Grove, IL
    on the ussoccer website, they've asked fans to take alternate routes to the stadium in order to avoid traffic.

http://www.ussoccer.com/events/report.sps?iEventID=16199&eventreports=6342

I plan on getting there at least a couple of hours early (circa 5) and am used to Chicago-style traffic, so should I even bother with the detours? will it save me that much time, or will it create more headaches?

15. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I saw heard that we had sold 20,000 tickets to the game. Am I still going to be able to buy tickets at the gate?

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    WTF ??

World Cup Qualifier
    U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Guatemala
    March 30, 2005
    PROHIBITED ITEMS

* Aerosol noisemakers
    * Camcorders
    * Coolers
    * Backpacks
    * Flares/smoke bombs
    * Food & beverages
    * Handguns/concealed weapons
    * Knives
    * Large drums (cannot occupy a seat)
    * Large radios/boom boxes
    * Poles (ex. flagpoles)

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What difference does it make to you?

Sachin

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I want to see and hear Sam's Army (not @) with that stuff on my tv??

19. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am driving 5 1/2 hours to be there. I am really excited. Cant wait. This is the first MNT game I have ever been to!
    Is the post I read eariler true that we cant even take backpacks in?

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Congrats on your first cap.

Sachin

21. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks As you can tell I am pretty pumped.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all depends on what time you're going down. Traffic can be bad in Birmingham for instance, I used to live 7-8 miles from my office, but it would take me over an hour to get home.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guatemala is staying at the Embassy Suites in Homewood (suburb ajacent to Birmingham.)

24. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    It depends on which direction you're coming from. The problem you're facing is that Legion Field is about a mile west of downtown and the intersection of I-20/59 and I-65, which is known to us here as "Malfunction Junction." At 5:00, most everyone who works downtown will be leaving via one of these highways or out Red Mountain Expressway (US 31/US 280).

So basically heading into town on I-65 either way is not so bad (certainly not Tri-State Tollway bad) until you get close to the exits they recommend.

I have seen more problems on the I-20/59 route, and the exit at Arkadelphia Road has backed up in the westbound direction when there are events at Legion Field. It's a crappy exit requiring a left hand turn at a light to go back across the interstate, and there's a lot of semi-trailer traffic because that's the exit for US 78, the main direct route to Memphis from I-20.

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Operation Whitesnake begins at dawn!!!!