Birmingham, AL: USA vs. Guatemala WCQ Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nicodemus, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Nico has friends with bars in good places. He says he will post the hang-out spot soon in this thread.

2. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a number for the box office at Legion Field? I want to know what their camera policy is for the game.

4. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area

5. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you can, please post here what you discover regarding the camera policy. Many thanks.

For what it's worth:
    From all the US and higher profile matches I've been to over the years, my guess is that security will either care or they will not.

If security does not care, you can probably bring in anything you like -- of course, within reason -- as long as you are not toting around a large camera bag containing 15 detachable lenses. This implies that you could conceiveably carry in a detachable peep-zoom, but you might want to leave the camera bag at home, as I know many others who do the same.

On the other hand, if security does indeed care, they will likely check that you do not have a detachable lense. They may also pull out a credit card and make sure the lense that you do have, if even attached/embedded/a part of the camera, does not extend beyond the long edge of the card (approximately 3 inches). Note that not all security gaurds are created equally; if you fail to get in on one line, go over to and try another.

Whether security will care or not I think depends on the organization running the event, in this case either FIFA and/or US Soccer, not the stadium, who I would gather could care less.

I have an attached peep-zoom that is about 3 inches and have never had a problem.

6. nysoccer7

nysoccer7 New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    This is only a half truth. What was stated in the meeting was that approximately 10k tickets have been sold to out of town supporters through group ticket sales, and Tickermaster. It was also stated that traditionally the Alabama soccer fan will buy late, and or walk up. The weather will probably be the deciding factor in attendance with so many walkups.

7. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
  8. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Keep the tips coming for us out-of-towners!

I'm staying in the Homewood area and was wondering if there are any good pubs/bars/bar&grills, preferably with a sports theme, nearby that have a decent selection beers on tap or, better yet, make their own microbrews.

Love British Pubs, as their beer is IMO the best around and the telly is always tuned to football... any of those around?

Also interested in the same thing in the 5 Points South area.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go folks, Tuesday night's "gathering" info:

MELLOW MUSHROOM
    1200 20TH STREET SOUTH

(205) 933-5061

TUESDAY, MARCH 29 - 7:00 P.M.

Since it's a night game on Wednesday, we figured the "formal" meet up should take place on Tuesday. I've noticed the night before gatherings have worked better at the matches I've travelled to. Birmingham's downtown is pretty much laid out on a numerical grid, so Mellow Mushroom is easy to find. It's on the corner of 20th Street South and 12th Avenue. Super easy to find. There's parking behind the building, but it often fills up, but probably not on a Tuesday night. Be prepared to possibly pay $5 or so for parking because parking can be tight down there, but once again, it probably won't be necessary on a Tuesday.

We opted for choosing a pizza place that has a bar in it. There is both an indoor and outdoor section, pizzas (both regular and more off the beaten path types of pizza), sandwiches, etc. This way people can drink if they want to, but it won't keep out the under 21 crowd either. Since it's a spring break week for many, we figured it'd be best to choose somewhere as inclusive as possible age-wise.

Mellow Mushroom is right in the heart of Five Points and there's a bunch of other bars, restaurants, pool halls and clubs in the area too for people that might want to diversify where they imbibe.

Bars in Birmingham don't have to close by any particular hour. How late they stay opened is determined by the individual bar, so if you want to stay out 'til 6AM, you have multiple options. Somewhere will be open. The super late night places are Bailey's, Marty's, The Nick, etc. Just ask around, somebody will point you somewhere that stays open super late if that's your thing.

One last note, Five Points South is generally a very safe area and it's near a police precint. I grew up in Birmingham and have spent a thousand nights down there without incident or having ever witnessed an incident. However, most of the crime occurs when people take shortcuts by cutting through alleys. I know that sounds like common sense not to do that, but I just want to remind people. Cutting through alleys is just about the only place I've heard of crimes being committed down there.

Look forward to seeing you all in Birmingham.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go eat barbecued ribs at DREAMLAND and find out why their slogan is "Ain't Nuthin' Like 'Em Nowhere." Good stuff.

11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    ?????? :confused:

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    ya got that right. Go. It is a must.

13. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Dothan, AL
    OK, thats established the night before (we can"t make it, boo hoo).

Is there going to be any fan base for after the game?

We're staying at the pickwick game night, anyone else up for it??

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    if we win!

15. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Guatemala will be training at Indian Springs School today at 4:00 (Monday). I wonder where their team bus will be headed afterwards.

16. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Just to be clear. This is what my friend told me.

Either way, I am encouraging people to come and I hope others are as well.

17. rlo127

rlo127 New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    wheaton, md
    New on this board, and just wanted to add I'll be there this Thursday. Was wondering where the after party will be LOL. We are staying at the residence inn and would like to know of any good clubs (18 & over). Thanks :)

18. MelH

MelH Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Kalispell
    Welcome to BigSoccer!

You get there on Thursday - and you're gonna miss all the fun....

Hope to see ya in the stands on Wednesday! :D

19. rlo127

rlo127 New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    wheaton, md
    haha my bad meant Wednesday :) fly out thurs though

20. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're getting in Wednesday morning and staying at the Radisson near 5-points. Can anyone recommend a good bar/restaurant to watch the Spain match on FSC that afternoon before the match?

Also, any general spot other USMNT supporters plan on hanging/drinking before gametime (or, for that matter, after the victory?)

Thanks!

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    contrary to the fact that we are hosting a WCQ, B'ham is NOT a soccer town. You are gonna be hard pressed to find somewhere that knows what FSC is. Just check the local restaurants/bars.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only places that tend to have Fox Sports Espanol (or at least use it) are Mexican restaurants and they'll close halfway through the game for siesta.

23. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    OK, I got screwed. USSoccer never sent me my tickets!!!!!!! I am really pissed. I assume everyone else got theirs. So my question is, is it possible for me to get tickets at the gate, what about the supporters section. I am really pissed right now.

24. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you can still get tickets at the game b/c that is when I am getting mine. No way a USA match in B-ham is going to sell out?

I would guess you could pick yours up at will call. I would call whoever you bought your tickets from.

25. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I really dont think the game will sell out. I guess my bigest concern is getting supporters tickets. I just checked and they didnt charge me for the tickets. This was back when people were having problems ordering tickets. I got an email saying everyones tickets were recieved.