Birmingham, AL: USA vs. Guatemala WCQ Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nicodemus, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    it is safe.

2. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battle Hymn of the Republic

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoo hooo!

Girlfriend lives in C-bus, Georgia and I have that week off. She just asked me if we could go to Birmingham and see the Nats, even had the ticket prices and everything.

Nice. Very nice.

See ya'll in Birmingham.

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    that is a great girlfriend!

5. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    FYI
    I will be handing off a 20x20 Baby Ass US flag to Daniel Johnson and Warren next week while in Florida for vacation. Seing it was uncertain if the Big Ass Flag could make it from Aztec,a you guys will still have the colors.
    Enjoy, Bd

6. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    I have a feeling these won't make the Top Five list...

<sung to Glory Glory Hallelujah>

We love Bruce Arena of the red, white, and blue
    'Cause this is what he said:

Who the f*** is Guatemala
    The Yanks go marching on

<sung to Guantanomera>

Ten Waffle Houses!
    There's only ten Waffle Houses!
    Ten Waffle Hou-ses
    There's only ten Waffle Houses!

7. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's bringing the smoke bombs?

8. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Just dont throw them at the playerss or we will be playing CR behind closed doors with no fans.

9. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    Flares would be better. It's a night game -- they'd look so freakin' awesome.

Did I just say all this out loud?

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Operation Whitesnake! Nicodemus knows the deal!

11. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    A friend of mine with the organizing committee says that about 10k tickets have been sold. This sounded disappointing to me, but he said that it is ahead of the pace for the friendlies that have been here (and drawn well). The risk may be a smaller walk-up crowd due to the weeknight thing, and who knows about the weather.

Get your friends to make the trip. I am definitely pulling out the patriot speech down here.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's true, that's a dang disaster.

13. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If thats true, then where the hell are all of these B-ham & AL soccer supporters!?!?! There's 1,000,000 people in that city!!

man, that sucks. we're gonna' be a single block of awe-inspiring red behind one goal surrounded by empty seats, or guatemala fans :(

14. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I'm not worried yet -- I'm just not ecstatic. Media blitz is just starting. Thousands of kids play soccer here, but I imagine the school night thing is going to keep some mom's and dad's home.

15. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I think it'll be in the 20K range. Alabama is not a soccer state and Birmingham isn't really a soccer city. Just cos you play soccer doesn't mean you wanna watch it. I'll never figure that one out but that is the way it is.

16. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing to keep in mind is that Wednesday night is church night in Alabama for most people. I suspect this will affect attendence somewhat.

Also, I would like to add that PR for this game has not been good, and that has surprised me- particularly given the fact the Alabama Sports Foundation(aka Bruno's Event Team) is involved with the game. They have a history of putting on great events locally, with one example being the Bruno's Memorial Classic senior golf tournament. This tournament is the #1 attended on the senior tour, minus the majors, and every golfer raves about this event.

They need to ramp it up and fast!

17. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I think we will see the media/PR stuff pick up a lot in the next few days. I still think 25k is a good bet, and the guy on the organizing committee still said he thinks 30k.

Either way, I am ready to yell, chant, scream, sing my arse off, whether anyone else is there or not.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weeknight thing certainly isn't helping the cause. That's preventing a lot of potential regional attendees that would need to take a day or two off of work. The weekend games are obviously better.

Cities do poorly sometimes. Foxboro and Colombus both have drawn less than 10K for games before, so I guess it's bound to happen on occasion.

19. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
  20. Bogart

Bogart New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm going with 2 other guys to my first qualifier. I'll do my part. :)

21. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I don't have a ticket yet, but reading the above I guess I have no reason to be nervous about that. Hoping to either buy from the window or bum from the parking lot a section A/B ticket since I don't really have time to pick one up in advance.

I'm going though, so, you'll have another voice, even if it's a New Yorker. (at least I'm not a UT alum (just kidding)). I've never been to Alabama, so, it'll be an eye opener. Looking forward to it.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Operation Whitesnake...... discuss it with Nicodemus...... and dole that sh|t out!!

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gathering place/time info for Tuesday and Wednesday night to be posted in the next day or two....

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I think 20,000 for Birmingham would be pretty good.

25. loupgarou

loupgarou New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    New Orleans
    Hey y'all. I'm driving up from New Orleans with a friend. We were wondering if there is a supporters bar or hangout for before or after the game. It's to far to drive back the same night so we figured we might as well relax while were there. Sorry, if this has been covered before, I didnt wade through all the pages since december......