Bird Watching Thread

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by YankHibee, Apr 14, 2008.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    We've just had a family of these guys move into the hood. We used to see them about twice a year, now they've found our suet cake. I'll get some shots when I can.

[​IMG]

guignol repped this.
  2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    As it happens, there are (though the files are huge).

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    been a while since i've had a first-time sighting in my garden:

[​IMG]
    Phoenicurus phoenicurus

called a Common redstart, but far less common to us than the Black redstart.

Gilbertsson repped this.
  4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I really should get better at identification. I see so many birds being on the trails almost every day - it'd be nice knowing what I'm actually looking at. I've been trying to get my flora identification knowledge back...I had it once, but it's mostly forgotten.

5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Cute little guy, sorta looks like a chickadee in reverse..:)

This guy came on the feeder last night, he's shy...and quick. But I'll get him soon. This was a grab shot through the window.

[​IMG]

guignol repped this.
  6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    last sunday i had a beautiful afternoon working in the backyard, with blackcaps singing away (probably the most melodic birds in these parts), chiffchaffs darting around and a robin perched over me the whole time.

then monday morning was completely different, skies gray and lowering (but temp very pleasant) and while stopped at a light a flock of starlings flew over me; not as dense as when they are in a murmuring (thx to whoever here turned me onto that word) , but very evenly spaced and flying due north, , no more than 50m high... they covered my whole view of the sky from rooftop to rooftop, and the display went on uninterruptedly for at least 30 seconds. awesome.

in a little cycle path through some shrubbery closer to work i raised a group of about a dozen magpies, that was impressive too, and fit the mood perfectly.

when i got to the parking lot at the factory i saw probably the same (or mostly the same, they break up and rejoin groups constantly) starlings: higher up, and with a more open view of the sky i could count them very roughly: between 15 and 25 thousand birds. it's been a loooong time since numbers like this have been seen in the region (they are ruthlessly hounded as pests) and i'm looking forward to some nice exhibitions in winter evenings to come.

Gilbertsson and usscouse repped this.
  7. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    OK. I need your help

Went on a hike on Sunday. I want to say I saw a Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina). However the crown was super crimson. It was definitely not a House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus). Any ideas? Also, it was never still. Always moving and with another bird of he same exact species

I did see a:

Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)
    [​IMG]

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Where were you?

raza_rebel repped this.
  9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i don't know why you say "however": i don't know the chipping sparrow myself but the pics i find of it show a crown just as red as a house finch. if you saw the black eyeband too then it looks pretty clear to me.

how bright colors look can be influenced by lighting, the surrounding environment, sunglasses...

10. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Prince William Forest State Park

Hola guignol. Thanks for your help. On revision, it might be a Chipping Sparrow. The light may have been playing tricks on my eye :cool: and made the crown a crimson color instead of the dark orange it contains. I knew right off the bat it wasn't a House Finch. The crimson part of a House Finch usually runs from the crown down through the bib as opposed to the crown of the head, where these two birds had their orange/crimson markings solely. Also, we were hiking in some very vegetated woods, whereas House Finches are found in settled habitats, such as city parks, urban centers, residential backyards, farms, and forest edges. I would have said it was a Cassin's Finch except they are not found east of the Rocky Mountains.

Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)
    [​IMG]

Cassin's Finch (Haemorhous cassinii) - It looked much darker than this and exclusively on the top of the head.
    [​IMG]

House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)
    [​IMG]

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    there's a hullaballoo going on right now in southwest france over the capture of chaffinches and bramblings (Fringilla coelebs and Fringilla montifringilla).

in the Landes department these are considered a delicacy and trapping them in november a "tradition".
    this has of course been illegal for as long as songbirds have been protected but the folks down that way don't see it that way. the local good ol' boy authorities have long turned a blind eye to this but in the past 2-3 there's been big pressure from Brussels, not to enact laws against this, but just to enforce those already in the book (and obeyed in every other region of france).

chaffinches are not a particularly rare bird, (though bramblings are in our climes). the problem is that the cages they trap these birds in also catch tits, robins, goldfinches... just about every songbird that appreciates sunflower seeds (meaning almost all).

another problem is that they only do this for one month, they do it in the very month that the birds are migrating massively through the region (obviously not by coincidence) so the effect on populations is far from negligable.

this is a repeat of a similar brouhaha concerning ortolan buntings that came to a head a few years ago. here the problem was even worse because large nets were used to trap them... and everything else flying through. when you consider that between 50,000 and 80,000 ortolans were being LEGALLY sold per year in france (a special regional dispensation for this existed until 1999), and bird counts in scandinavian nesting grounds had dropped to less than 8,000 pairs, the coming disaster was so obvious that even the regional authorities took notice.

but just as the most boneheaded of trappers keep trapping ortolans (the league for protection of birds found and communicated to authorities the GPS coordinates of over 100 trapping points in the area just this last spring) hunters in southwest france have vowed to defy authorities to uphold their "traditions", pointing to the dispensation that the spanish government has asked for from brussels (not obtained i believe, they just act as if it has... what else to expect from a nation where slaughtering bulls makes the sports pages and chucking goats from village church steeples is considered a holiday activity like our easter egg hunts?)

more on the subject generally:

http://www.komitee.de/en/homepage
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/07/songbird-migration/franzen-text

12. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    guignol repped this.
  13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the LPO (Ligue de Protection des Oiseaux) here carries out commando operations to free both ortolans and finches. it's no picnics since the guilty parties get very aggressive, and the gendarmerie in the region tends to side with the trappers. even a mayor of a small town has been caught red-handed (and got off with a slap on the wrist). the LPO still frees the birds they find, but instead of destroying the traps like they used to , they now just gather info (names, license plates, GPS coordinates) and sends them, not to the gendarmes, but directly to brussels. there are TWO ministers in charge of the gendarmerie (interior and defense) and neither will take kindly to a relative handful of good old boys who roll their R's making the french republic look like a banana republic in front of the EC.

raza_rebel repped this.
  14. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Raza, am I recalling correctly that you did some work at an NGO in Costa Rica?

15. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
  16. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I was trying to remember the names of the organizations where some of my friends worked. I had an internship at FECON in San Jose, but it didn't really amount to much.

17. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
  18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    walking the dog this evening i saw what i thought was a sparrowhawk; i saw talons out, but only got a split-second look before it dipped behind a building, and it was more gliding than diving, so i thought it might have been one of the two wood pigeons i had seen just before.

15 minutes later i was looking at the magnificent dusky sky and about 60-80m up... this time there's no two ways about it: unmistakeable silhouette, and what speed! flying straight horizontal but with a good wind at her back; she comes at a group of crows like lightning and hits one in midair with such force! they both tumble, and to get airworthy again she needs to let go but the crow just falls like a rock.

not sure she found it on the ground because a couple of minutes later i see a sparrowhawk flying back against the wind to where she'd come from. could have been her mate though, it was a bit dark to be sure.

19. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in re: ortolans

Once it has been fattened on millet, the captured ortolan is drowned in armagnac, plucked, and stripped of its feet and a few other tiny parts.

in the Stilton household, when i was a tyke, my father used to joke about ortolans, but i swear we never ate them.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Getting tired of winter already, so I found this spring pic I took on the wisteria on the deck. It makes me happy.

[​IMG]

raza_rebel repped this.
  21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'd love to plant some wisteria on a veranda. Slowly working towards my off the grid mini farm.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    tired of winter already? umm... scouse... it hasn't started yet. just trying to cheer you up! but rememeber that winter is great for bird-watching!

my wisteria is finally taking off about 4 years after I planted it on my neither deck nor veranda... i guess you'd call it a patio. unfortunately i don't have any good pics but it's an awesome place to hang out... i'll share next spring!

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This time of the year we're usually down in Cabo San Lucas for a couple of weeks. Prolly why I was moaning about the weather.

What's nice though is the Sparrows and house finches follow us down there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're, obviously, not there this year. Hope some feeds the hungry little buggers.

24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walking through the neighborhood about a week ago and saw this:

[​IMG]

Northern Harrier. Perched in a tree about ten feet away, until it tired of an audience then leaped out and glided to another perch a couple hundred feet away. I'm so used to seeing the ubiquitous Red-tailed Hawk around here. So cool to see another raptor.

raza_rebel and guignol repped this.