Bin Laden: Okay, so He was at Tora Bora

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Northcal19, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
  2. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I guess Bush prefers a free Osama to a dead or captured Osama. Useful as a bogeyman, to all the Fox News-watching / Rush Limbaugh listening Americans. Osama made Bush's presidency. Without 9/11, Bush would've been a one-termer, like his dear old dad.

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, this guy is obviously just a disgruntled employee, like:

General Wesley Clark
    retired Gen. Brent Scowcroft
    retired Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni
    former Treasury secretary, Paul O'Neill
    "terror czar," Richard A. Clarke
    former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson
    Stuart Bowen, the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction.
    John DiIulio, former head of the Office of Community/Faith-Based Initiatives

5. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He he, good one. They have no intention of catching him, he's still on the payroll...... ;)

6. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Tell me something -- how does it feel to be so cynical?

Does it feel great to wake up in the morning, assume the worst, and going through the day with these kinds of nasty fantasies?

How's the ulcer, by the way?

7. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Let's see, where are some of these guys now?

Clark -- failed candidate.

Scowcroft -- incorrect op ed writer.

O'Neill -- see that guy fading down the road? Bye Paul, have a nice life.

Clarke -- see that guy walking with O'Neil? Bye Richard, have a nice life.

Wilson -- getting his hiking shoes ready to join O'Neill and Clarke.

8. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps you could explain the relevance of this post because I'm not seeing it.

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't honestly say that the cynicism surrounding Dubya and his merry band of apologists and boot lickers hasn't been earned.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Berntsen using this opportunity to issue his formal mea culpa for incompetence over the loss of bin Laden, since it was his responsibility for the capture, or simply trumpeting the issue to sell a cheesy book? The better part of wisdom in this case is to beware CIA Analysts selling tell all books, as they're more than likely resting on a foundation of fiction!

11. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    KK's attempt to color all these naysayers insignificant. In KK's eyes, if you don't drink the KKoolaid, you're a failure.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Oh, here it is:

:D

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    You're not seeing it?

I am shocked.

All of these guys have blazed on the scene, and flamed out.

O'Neill railed against tax cuts. Guess what? The tax cuts jump started the economy and kept the recession shallow and short. I bet less than 1% of the Amerian public remember who he is...and fewer even care.

Clark was going to be the centrist democratic answer to Dean, an return to Clintonianism. Guess what? You got Kerry.

Clarke was supposed to blow the lid off of the Bush administration with is his "revelations" about their lack of preparedness for 9/11? Guess what? His book, and his career, are in remainderdom.

Wilson? You think he's heading for glory? Nah, he's gonna join this company.

Over and over and over again you guys think that "Yeah!! This _________ is gonna be it!!"

The Duelfer Report...the Downing Street Letter....Clarke....Wilson..."it's gonna be the coup de grace!!!", say you all.

And now this CIA book.

You're wrong then, you're wrong now, you'll be wrong tomorrow.

One day, some day, I am gonna start a thread that will go on for pages with quotes from you guys about this revelation, and that revelation, and your desperate desires to see things work out the way you want them too. There may not be enough bandwidth.

Doesn't it wear on you, just teensy bit?

14. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how does any of this negate the facts which they have presented?

15. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    In the marketplace of ideas, these guys have been marked down for quick sale.

And even then, nobody's buying.

There's your negation.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. :rolleyes:

A host of current and former BushCo officials has offered - time and again - testimony to what we can plainly see: that the invasion of Iraq was completely uncalled for, that the planning prior to the invasion was an absolute joke, and that the occupation of Iraq has created more problems than it has solved.

Karl's response? Their books haven't sold.

17. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because that's all he's got. He can't discuss the issue on its merits so he tries to change the subject.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Many of the people on the list had the courage to come forward in opposition to a popular president during a popular war.

It is not shocking that they were put down, particularly when you have an administration that is very good at coordinating its attempts to discredit its critics.

The chance for this all to come to a head was in November 2004, but we blinked. In hindsight, that is not overly shocking as it is rare (indeed if it has ever happened) that we change presidents during a war.

The current free fall in Bush polling numbers demonstrates that the people were not necessarily thrilled with his presidency as they were uncomfortable with the unknown. Couple that with mistakes that Kerry made throughout the campaign, and it makes sense that Bush held on by one state, particularly with the extra -- and effective -- work of Karl Rove in a few toss up states.

Karl is right on one thing. Those of us who do not like Bush ARE frustrated by the continual yawn when new info comes to light that really should sink his presidency. The DSM is perhaps the best example.

19. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    So have tons of other tell-all books in other administrations.

Only naifs like you would assume that because some guys get on the soapbox, then, by God!!, it HAS to be true.

The thing is, you and your ilk simply can't face reality.

You're on the wrong side.

The wrong side of ideas.

The wrong side of history.

The wrong side of politics and economics.

The American people, in their wisdom, simply don't care what you and your allies think about this issue, or that issue.

You're marginal...insignificant...ineffective...worthless...inept...

You're going nowhere, and going there really fast.

20. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Wow Karl, where do I sign up? I want to be just like you, really I do. Because you are always right.

21. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

No. You simply don't care. And neither does Bush. About how the USA does. All your side cares about is staying in power. Such is life in a post-reality world.

22. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    You see, this is classic.

The argument here is that "it's not whether you are right...it's whether you INSIST that you are right. Anybody who INSISTS that they are right...especially if I disagree with them...well, THAT's BAD.!!"

Well, I am not always right...but I am right about this.

Too bad for you.

23. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    1) Wrong. Let's see the examples. And, I want books published DURING the administration (first term even better). There have never been so many people jump ship and attempt to expose the dirty laundry. I'm open to every example you can find.

2) Wrong again. I read what people have to say, examine their credibility and then decide. You should try it some time.

3) Strike three my friend. We are living reality every day.

4) Strike four. Being on the minority party side doesn't make you wrong, it just makes you "out of power." We will see if it lasts.

5) Wrong.

6) Definitely wrong.

7) wrong and you may have a point with many democrats economically.

8) This is where you might need a reality check. The country goes through ideological swings, and we are certainly in a conservative one right now, but your side is at least in danger of suffering a major backlash in the next few elections. Democrats have to realize that and get a more coherent message out there, but "the people have spoken" doesn't pick up the . . . Oh, what's the word I'm looking for . . . oh yea, nuance yea, that's the ticket.

9) your typical blathering crap that isn't worth responding too. Strike nine.

24. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    "Put down?"

Clarke testified before Congress. O'Neill was on every talk show imaginable. Scowcroft can get space on the op-ed page of The Wall St. Journal and The New York Times anytime he wants. Wesley Clark had the Clinton brain trust behind him.

"Put down?"

These guys weren't thrown into Gitmo and given orange suits!!

No, what you guys do is the worst sort of "spin." Maybe, just maybe, they were discredited because, in the end, their IDEAS and POSITIONS are discreditable.

Nah, that can't be...because, well, even though we criticize KK because he thinks he's always right, WE think we're always right....because, heck, we're better...and, gosh darn it, people like US!!!

25. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strike nine? You play baseball? Ever?

Re-read Karl's post... I think you missed its veracity!