Bill Simmons and Colin Cowherd

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Palermo10, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "BS Report" on espn.com is a podcast with Bill Simmons and Colin Cowherd.

http://espn.go.com/?topId=4313875

If you fast forward to about the 52nd minute mark, they start talking about international soccer, Premier League, etc.

Great stuff! Cowherd is opening a bar August 12 and he says hes throwing a party for USA-Mexico... Simmons says starting August 15 hes a Tottenham Hotspur fan and hes going to watch every game.

2. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that I disagree with that interview was Simmons' thought "why MLS won't make it" was because of the "Americans want to watch the best" meme, conveniently forgetting that college football and basketball are also huge in this country without having the best players. Not that this means there might not be other reasons why the league wouldn't make it, but it's still lazy logic on the Sports Guy's part.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but unlike most ESPN people, I don't think Simmons cares much about college sports, other than the occasional Holy Cross (his alma mater) run in basketball.

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I listen to almost every "BS Report" and my head nearly exploded like when Clayton Bigsby ripped off his hood to show his KKK brethren his face.

I don't know much about Colin Cowherd, but I thought he was a Jim Rome type that usually bashed soccer?

5. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Cowherd's an idiot in general.

Simmons is one of the funnier guys out there (his twitter feed during the Jackson funeral was pure quality). He started following Spurs a few years ago because he felt like he was missing something. There's a good column in his archives about how he came to pick them.

6. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I never realized Bill Simmons sounded like a 17-year-old girl on "The OC." I half-expected to hear him say, "I know, right?"

But great to hear these guys getting bit by the beautiful-game bug.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conspiracy theorists who listen to that will cite it as proof ESPN is going to convert Classic to International and go after the Prem or La Liga.

8. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm going to listen to this in the afternoon, but Simmons said he was going to start watching Spurs after the '06 World Cup and that he would write about them and soccer in general and he didn't.

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually brings that up during this podcast. Claims that it was lost to the rigors of parenthood and all, but that he really does want to follow them more closely.

Only thing that bugs me there is the way he says "Tottenham", pronounced like "Totten Ham Sandwich" or something.

Yeah I've seen him write that several times, been meaning to write him an e-mail about that. I sent him one a number of years ago that he replied to, but this was well before his current popularity so I'm sure he'd be less likely to get back to me this time.

I'd never heard of Colin Cowherd before the podcast came out, but if he really was a soccer-basher before and has now been converted to being a fan, there might be hope yet for all of them.

10. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see nothing wrong with that logic. I think in order to get people interested like myself they need to see the game played at this highest level in order to peak their interest.

11. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What about Drew Carey?

12. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drew is a sports fan with an open mind. There are some out there but we have those that arent so open minded. I think Drew's passion for the game grew when he got into International Soccer (supporting the US). He is also a big Big Barca fan too? I will say yes there will be some that game into the game because of MLS. But when you see a US WC game or EPL game with passion of the fans its hard not to fall in love.

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, he goes with whatever makes him feel popular. He had some slight negative views until it became a company priority (and he had a new TV show to pimp) and all of a sudden he appreciated the sport.

I haven't listened to this episode yet and am debating how much I want to. I usually like Bill's podcasts, but cannot stand Cowherd.

14. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's not what he's saying, he's saying MLS WONT make it because it isn't up to the standard of the big Euro leagues or the international game because "Americans only want to watch the best". That's the logic I was calling out.

15. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never heard Cowherd before, but it came across as genuine; worth a listen to, a good all round conversation for 1 hour.

16. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is also empirically wrong as MLS has worked. For a league starting from scratch in 1996, to still be going in 2009, with all these stadiums, an ever improving standard of play and an ever growing fan base it has done well. No, it hasn't turned soccer mainstream like Bill imagines, but it has been a success.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's totally changing his schtick then to promote his new TV gig.

18. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he actually talked about it extensively, now that you mention it. how he finds he can do 4 minutes, but struggles with the older formats where he had to fill up to 14 minutes, why he does not have a partner on air, and his whole approach. In fact he got pretty personal, a little too personal at times, but it was pretty interesting what he thinks makes him successful.

Since you know him, I would like to hear your take.

19. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thing with college sports is the alumni connection and the feeder league status. College sports is a multi-billion dollar industry even if the players are considered amateur and can't work (wink wink). MLS doesn't have the deep community ties that college sports has. Remember - American football started on college campuses and didn't go pro until early 20th century.

20. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but BCS schools (especially) have plenty of fans/fanboys without those connections, or even living near said institution, and none of those people are turned off by the level of play compared to the NFL and NBA.

21. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BCS schools also have lots of money/connections to control the narrative. They don't spend that multibillion for nothing.

Plus there are subtle differences between the college and pro games that don't exist in MLS vs EPL. The players are all young, there's pomp and circumstance (??), they don't get paid (allegedly), and there is no playoff so every game is built up as the game of the century. Plus there are established rivalries along historic, geographic and class lines that don't exist in MLS. Auburn - Alabama and Michigan - Ohio State are like Liverpool - Man United and Arsenal - Tottenham.

MLS needs time to grow/expand traditions. Look at the Canada Cup or the Portland/Seattle/Vancouver cup - we need those rivalries in all cities and need them to grow. Takes time.

22. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    How was the vacation? :)

23. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    well was listening to coward and he talked about his bar.. and since the USA game is not on english speaking channel or one he gets, he is not having the party and was calling soccer and embarrassment.. he also was calling it the biggest soccer game ever... which is ridiculous.. I tried calling in, but couldnt get thru. He also said soccer is only getting big because of the "browning of america" do you think he would still be employed if he said basketball is only big because of the blacking of america? I dont. What an idiot.

24. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why is soccer an embarresment just because ESPN didn't put up the money to show the game? That is Monty Python like logic.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g[/ame]

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's typical Cowherd. On the BS report - smaller audience, much less posturing, man of the people, open to the game. Get him in front of a bigger audience and he's the meat head again.