Bill Hamid at DC United (on loan from FC Midtjylland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Oct 28, 2011.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bottom line: he didn't look good enough, and a Yank is only given a very short leash in Europe. Since he was a freebie, no sweat for FCM.

Our goalkeeping situation is bad, may become desperate.

3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #853 Ceres, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    The analysis is factually wrong ... FCM did not bring in Hansen and Hamid in the same transfer window ... they signed Hansen before the start of last season but he and the FCM defense were doing quite terrible at the start of the season, that is before they made a tactical change from 4-4-2 to playing 3-4-3 in mid-late september 2017 ... and from that point on, Hansen and the defense suddenly were looking better and better ...

Hamid
    was signed just around a month after they had changed to 3-4-3, but they obviously had been negotiating to get him to sign before they made the change and when they actually signed the contract, Hansen and the defense had only been looking good in their past 4 games ... so the timing was quite misfortunate, but it would have been impossible to predict that Hansen and the defense suddenly would turn rock solid after a terrible start.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and beamish repped this.
  4. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I've let the site editor know. My mistake.

The bigger point here is that Hamid wasn't valued too highly within the club. Hansen wasn't playing that great to fend off Hamid, it's just that Hamid was/is a disposable asset for them.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hansen has been excellent ever since Hamid arrived, while Hamid did poorly in the last 2 out of the 3 important games they let him play in april ... so they did give him a chance inspite Hansen doing great and that you should not really change a winning team close to become Danish Champions...

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hamid's big mistake was going to January camp with the USMNT rather than his new club team.

7. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hansen is on a team that largely dwarfs their competition so it's hard to assess someone's contribution who sits behind one of the best defenses in the league. He's been a largely above average goalkeeper his whole career so I'm not sure saying he was excellent is fair when his team is limiting shots more than 80% of the league. Now, I understand managers not wanting to change what's working, sure, but let's not act like Hansen was just playing on another level. If he was, I don't think we would have seen Hansen dropped after one bad game in favor of Hamid.

Also idk if throwing a goalkeeper into three important games after him basically not playing for seven months was a great strategy on FCM's part lol. Not sure that was much of a chance to give the guy, but I guess that's the type of investment we see from a club has when they get players for free.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

adam tash and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free transfers can be risky

As a player, you want your club to show that they value you as a condition to moving. You’re much more likely to be in a team’s plans if they’re willing to pay for you

If you go on a free, the club might just be taking a flyer on you

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus he's not that good.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Europe is finally realizing MLS is willing to pay money to get our players back. It's the perfect scheme: get Yanks from the MLS on a free, keep them sitting around so they beg someone to rescue them, sell them back to MLS for a profit.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    He wasn't too busy last night but looked tidy and confident when called upon. I wouldn't be too surprised if his form surges the rest of the season, but I guess we'll see.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    This Exactly

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    sounds really crazy

I hope he performs out of this world for DC and actually gets a chance next sum m for the Danes

15. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm baffled DC couldn't get a dime for Hamid. Couldn't they find a better placement than FCM? Yikes.

16. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    DC United didn't try to trade him. They wanted him to stay and offered him a decent contract to stay. That said, they managed it poorly as he had been making clear his desire to go to Europe and they could have traded him a year or two before his contract expired.

17. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could have but they chose not to because DCU is run by idiots.

Gorky and Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  18. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or got a transfer fee of at least $1.

19. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You don't get a transfer fee when someone is out of contract and a free agent.

superdave and BostonRed repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    There should be a courtesy couple of Buds & pack of bubblegum.

21. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol yes, that's why teams transfer players before they get out of contract. Ones that want to see a return on their investment, anyways.

22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #872 Ceres, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    The summer transfer window is now closed and FCM signed a 3-year contract with their 29-yo former keeper Mikkel Andersen as a replacement for Hamid ... it's a keeper they did not really find to be good enough to be their 1st keeper around a year ago when they did a swap deal with Lyngby to get Hansen ...so it still seem to me that they expect Hamid to replace Hansen as 1st keeper before his contract expire in June 2020. .. as also wrtitten before, then Hansen will be 35 by then, which is "ancient" by Danish Superliga standard.

Last season FCM sold around $18 million worth of players and in this summer transfer window they have sold their highly talented centre back Bubacarr Sanneh to Anderlecht for €8 million, left back Andreas Poulsen to Borussia Mönchengladbach for €4.5 million, attacking midfielder/striker Dominick Drexler to Köln for €4 million and left winger Mikkel Duelund to Dynamo Kiev for €4 million, besides a few other minor sales, so they have sold players for more than $24 million this summer as you can also see right here :
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-midtjylland/alletransfers/verein/865

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Strong performance from him last night.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I wouldn't call that a strong performance. He was lucky to not be punished when coming off his line and missing a ball the attacker put off the post in 26th minute. He continues to not be set for shots and his positing is off. He is too far to the left and behind the line on the goal he conceded. He mad a nice save that isn't in the highlight around the 82nd minute, but again his positioning was off and wasn't set. How has Henin fixed these things in his game?

TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so you're saying he's good enough to play in Europe ;)

The Irish Rover repped this.