Bill Hamid at DC United (on loan from FC Midtjylland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Oct 28, 2011.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Right. And given how petty DC United was towards Hamid last season, in retrospect he should have pushed harder against the club instead of being loyal.

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petty? They offered to double his salary, but he wanted to go to Europe anyway. He had been scouted for sometime by Euro teams, so playing the last 3 - 4 games of the season wasn't going to help him one way or the other. They wanted to see if Clark was up to being their #1 GK.

3. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It was quite petty and offended many of their longtime fans.

While its good that he is coming home, that pettiness certainly rubbed many fans the wrong way.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So is an American under contract to a European club but on loan to an American team still considered an American Abroad?

:thumbsdown:

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a fan since '96 and it didn't rub me the wrong way, because I'm a fan of the TEAM first.

Most fans in the YA forum are fans of the player, before club.

I'm also a fan of Bill and was glad that he took the initiative to go to Europe. While it saddens me in one way that he didn't make it with FCM, I am glad he's coming back to DC.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #831 Ceres, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    in the article, the FCM Director of Sport is saying that they have a standing agreement with Hamid, that he can go on loan at the end of August before the transfer window close, if he is not getting to play by that time, but he also says that a sale is out of the question, because they want him back later, if he is send on loan...

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Btw ... Hamid signed a 4½ year contract with FCM, starting 1. January 2018, so his contract with FCM do not expire before 1. July 2022 ...

8. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he can start off at FCM in a better position with his next stint there.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Jesper Hansen is 33 and that is really old by Danish Superliga standard, so I do not think his contract is being extended when it expire in June 2020.. if they are going to keep him that long ...

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mediocre result for a mediocre player.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so his Viking adventure is on a temporary pause. I would hope he returns to them by next summer or perhaps in winter if Hansen somehow could up.

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Bill is still on contract with FCM—and I suspect this thread will remain fairly active—I went ahead and updated the title.

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #838 Ceres, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Regarding his loan deal move to DC United, and his two possible rivals Clark and Ousted who have both played in the Danish Superliga in the past, then Clark was no success playing relegation play-off's for Horsens, which is why they send him packing after only a year at the club, while Randers did not want to extend Ousted's contract after they had just won promotion to the Danish Superliga, so there is no reason to compare them with Hamid, who signed with an FCM team that became Danish Champions and now actually refuse to sell him, but want him back when his loan deal expire.

Baysider and Winoman repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's exactly what they mean for a 1.5 years long loan in the summer: the rest of the year, plus the next year, until 31. December 2019, as you noted.

16. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Seems to me Hamid is a bit long in the tooth to be considered a promising player out on loan to improve. I'll be surprised if he gets recalled after the loan and gets back into the team. He'll be almost 29 by the time his loan is over. I think his Euro adventure didn't pan out.

ChuckMe92, The Irish Rover and Baysider repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    29 in keepers is like 24 for field players though. But you're probably right, his only thing on the resume is the MLS job & that's not going to be enough at this point.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    He's never going to make the Scottish Premiership at this rate. Thanks a lot MLS.

Gorky, BostonRed, VBCity72 and 3 others repped this.
  19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This made me laugh for some reason.

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    They signed Jesper Hansen when he was 32, so I don't think being almost 29 will be a problem when he is to return ... had he been a field player a return would have been more than unlikely ... but 1½ year is a long time and if Hansen all of a sudden get injured, they will then need to find a good replacement and then a return would suddenly be more unlikely ... but for now, I think they expect Hamid to replace Hansen before his contract expire in June 2020. .. by then Hansen will be 35 ...

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He is also not going to play any halfway important role in our national team. He will remain a flawed goalkeeper who is over rated by MLS fans.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The problem is that he didnt want to sit on the bench. If he cant be a number 1 in denmark, he has no chance of being one in the bundesliga. Hamid is a long way from being a Bundesliga level goalkeeper and either route would have been reasonable, but would have taken a couple of years of a lot of hard work and still might not have happened.

23. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What in your opinion are his flaws / weaknesses?

As for the National Team - this move makes perfect sense in terms of his remaining in the mix for the USMNT starting job. Had he stayed in Denmark and on the bench, he would have certainly been out of the mix, but playing regularly for DCU will get the rust off and help him stay among the top options over the next year as things start to shake out.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It is basic fundamentals. I've shared my thoughts on him in the goalkeeping thread in usmnt. if you search for posts by me with "Hamid" in that forum/thread, you should be able to find more details and examples. off the top of my head... positioning/angles, doesnt hold balls/bad rebounds, and commits and goes to ground early. he has suffered a lot of injuries, but dont see improvement since 2014.

It might keep him in the picture, but unlikely for him to be a top option. I'd still take Guzan over him and Steffen is way ahead of him, many years younger, and rumors of a move abroad in the future. So maybe a short term third string option but others will be pulling away or catching up.

25. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Fundamentals? He has solid fundamentals and he has great reflexes. Plus he has matured greatly over the past five years.

Guzan? You have to be kidding me. He was a liability every time he suited up for the national team for the past 4 years. He made horrible mental mistakes and he plays like an English GK.

I hope Steffan can make the move to Europe and doesn't get stuck in a situation like Hamid did where he was locked into a contract with DC who had no interest in letting him go to Europe, but to claim that Steffan is way ahead of him is laughable.