Bigsoccer-TrueFan index: Lamest stat ever.

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by fuzzyBunny, Sep 24, 2002.

1. fuzzyBunny

fuzzyBunny Member

Aug 24, 1999
    Palo Alto CA
    Looking at the number of BigSoccer posts for the individual teams forums (as of 9-24-02), I couldn't help notice that the Colorado Rapids had the fewest number of posts but had the highest attendance. Meanwhile, the Earthquakes had the lowest attendance but the highest number of posts. Now that the regular season is over, now's a good time to see which team has the truest fans.

By comparing BigSoccer posts to attendance, we can see if fans attending the games are talking about their team or if they could care less.

Now some of you might say, "But aren't half the posts on the Quakes board just teenyboppers talking about Landon Donovon." To that I say, "True, but where just having a little fun here. Who's to say they're not true fans. Stop being so serious. And by the way, you misspelled Donovan".

Without out further delay, I present to you, the Bigsoccer-TrueFan index (BSTFI): Lamest stat ever.

City                   BS Posts  Attendance  BSTFI
      ----                   --------  ----------  ----
      Chicago Fire           5530      12,922      0.43  
      Colorado Rapids        1399      20,690      0.07 
      Columbus Crew          4657      17,429      0.27
      Dallas Burn            2455      13,122      0.19
      DC United              17447     16,519      1.06
      Kansas City Wizards    3408      12,255      0.28
      Los Angeles Galaxy     1828      19,047      0.10
      MetroStars             7934      18,155      0.44
      New England Revolution 5228      16,927      0.31
      San Jose Earthquakes   13988     11,150      1.25
      Non-MLS Cities         196       0           oo

Sorted by city we see the teams with the truest fans.

City                   BS Posts  Attendance  BSTFI
      ----                   --------  ----------  ----
      Non-MLS Cities         196       0           oo
      San Jose Earthquakes   13988     11,150      1.25
      DC United              17447     16,519      1.06
      MetroStars             7934      18,155      0.44
      Chicago Fire           5530      12,922      0.43  
      New England Revolution 5228      16,927      0.31
      Kansas City Wizards    3408      12,255      0.28
      Columbus Crew          4657      17,429      0.27
      Dallas Burn            2455      13,122      0.19
      Los Angeles Galaxy     1828      19,047      0.10
      Colorado Rapids        1399      20,690      0.07 

Analysis:
    Honorable mention must go to the "Non-MLS Cities" fans who were so hard core, they caused my calculator to freak-out, question the meaning of God, and give a divide-by-zero error. But as evidence shows, deplorably, they attended ZERO games. Surely they cannot be considered true fans.

Which leaves fans of the Earthquake the most, hard-core fans for 2002, with a BSTFI of 1.25. Breaking the 1.0 barrier. This only shows that after every game, Quakes fans flock to BigSoccer to question Yallop's tactical descions, ask whether Russell is truely healthy, and debate if Landon looks better with his hair dyed yellow or orange.

Also breaking the 1.0 barrier are the fans of DC United with a BSTFI of 1.06.

On the other end we have the fans of the Rapids and Galaxy with a BSTFI of 0.07 and 0.10 respectively. One must ponder if they truely care what is going on with their team.

Congratulations Earthquakes fans. We'll see who is BSTFI leader in 2003.

2. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Wow. What a total freaking useless post. Glad you spent a few hours devising a scheme that has no scientific or real world value.

3. fuzzyBunny

fuzzyBunny Member

Aug 24, 1999
    Palo Alto CA
    Great! I'm glad atleast someone appreciates how useless this post is.

And the best part is that this post, and your little comment, will stay at the top or this forum for years to come since no one ever posts here. Atleast until the next crash.

4. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Well then congrats are in order. Anyone who ever enters this forum will know what a bore you are for generations to come.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your ratio shows the number of bigsoccer posters with no life compared to the number of real fans who go to games. Low score should be good! It looks like Colorado is the real winner. ;)

6. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on DC! (Though, regrettably, this post won't count toward our BSTFI)

7. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    What a retard. Hardcore? "Oh my gosh, I saw someone who looked like Landon in the grocery store!!!"

Aimer: I love Joe Cannon

Nap: I love Aimer

Yeah, quakes fans rock. :rolleyes:

8. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Aren't half the posts on SJ boards are by fans of other teams posting "Move San Jose Now" threads:)

9. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Hey! No fair! The Fire is not at Soldier Field!

heh heh, I jest.

Truly useless, nice work.

10. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    I think there's a job for you in Wall Street somewhere.

11. fuzzyBunny

fuzzyBunny Member

Aug 24, 1999
    Palo Alto CA
    I also believe this is why the Revolution staff restricted the open sections to just one half of Gillette stadium. Not to artificaly create demand but to pump up the BSTFI numbers.

12. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move San Jose!

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those people have to turn a profit every once in a while.

There's a government job for stats like these - which are pretty funny by the way.

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job, fuzzyBunny! These statistics would make Lynne Meterparel proud. Doesn't she do the attendance figures for those other teams now, anyway?;)

15. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow....i guess i AM really an "untrue fan" (...quakes season ticket holder since the beginning, attending at least one game a season, crew season ticket holder since the stadium opened (i couldn't bear the thought of going to a woody-hayes-worshipping **** hole), and have been to soldier and arrowhead. plus, two MLS Cups now attended (so i've been to the razor, too, and was sitting right behind the post DeRo clanked it in off last year)). the tickets i'm unable to use are given away either to the supporters groups, or the mayors kicks for kids program. 'n' all this from minnesota.
    thanks for pointing out to me how much i suck. a true service!!! i'm now going to totally forget how much of a blast i have in the casbah, tell all the great quakes fans i've met to p off, and save my money for the next "furries" party.

16. fuzzyBunny

fuzzyBunny Member

Aug 24, 1999
    Palo Alto CA
    It's alright.

Don't feel too bad. I buy a pair of season tickets for the Quakes each year and I only have 89 posts to my name (currently).

So if you go back the past two years and assume only half of my posts were on the Quakes board, I have a personal BSTFI of ~0.80

Wow! The personal BSTFI (P-BSTFI), an all-time low. This is the lamest stat ever.

Thankfully there are others on the Quakes board to make up for our woeful P-BSTFI.

17. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, now takin out the "Landon Donovan is hot" posts, u are down to about 5K posts, so no, Quakes do not win.

18. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I dont think the stats were lame at all. Quite informative. Good work. It just the fans who post a lot are obsessed with soccer and have no other life. Agree with a poster above Colorado is the real winner.

19. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    It seems San Jose fans are so obsessed with posting here on Big Soccer they forget to actually attend the games. which makes San Jose fans the biggest nerds as far as MLS fans go. Colorado fans are the true fans.

20. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Wall Street.. A talent to use stats to make what is not true look true is usually most valued in Washington, DC..

21. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On second thought, maybe a Wall Street accounting firm could use you.

22. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    I just finally happened across this thread and this made me laugh....why?

cuz everyone on the Quakes board KNOWS that my love is not for Joey. we're just friends. The love lies elsewhere and his name isn't Landon either.

23. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ron Jeremy? Remember a player only loves you when he's playing you...

24. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    "I'll neeeever teeeelllll" (eerie voice)