BigSoccer toolbar for FireFox

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Foosinho, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    are you making this by yourself? cool though

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Completely by myself.

4. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've tried to install this and I've restarted the browser 4 times and my computer once and I still have the "this extension will be installed after you restart firefox" message. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall, but it won't allow me to uninstall either.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did an older version work for you? Or has it never worked? What version of FireFox? What OS?

6. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Is there a way to resize the toolbars in firefox? I have all that space between "Help" and the penguin I could fit the toolbar in.

7. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The previous version seemed to work with the exception of the smilies. I'm on Mac OSX using FF version 0.9.3.

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have access to a Mac, so it may be difficult, but I'll see what I can find out.

As for resizing toolbars... I don't know. It doesn't appear possible (yet). At least not easily.

9. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice work Foosinho.

I remember in a previous thread you were asking about XUL. Did you do this with XUL? Did you also use other parts of the Mozilla development framework, such as JavaScript and XPCOM/C++?

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all XUL, JavaScript, and CSS. That and a few XML files for the installer that describe what's in the extension. It's got support for internationalization (tho I can't figure why anybody would want the BigSoccer toolbar in Spanish, for example), and skinning. However, it only has en-US and the default skin available right now. I'm concentrating on features first.

Oh, and I used PHP to generate (on-the-fly) the XML document that FireFox reads over the network to check for updates. I just drop the updated XPI file into a directory on my webserver, and when you click on "update" in the extension manager it automagically knows there is a new file there. It's pretty sweet.

11. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Very nice.

BTW, it works on my setup: Gentoo Linux 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 with Firefox 0.9.3.

12. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    roflmao

Very funny, I like the pissing.

w2k sp4 FF0.8 didn't work but after a quick upgrade to 0.93 installed like a charm.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just uncovered a bug. The extension was designed with 0.9+ in mind, but the install manifest says it should would on 0.7-0.9. Just fixed it, and the next version (whenever I add enough features to consider releasing) will explicitly state that it won't work on older browsers. I'll try and remember to update the website as well.

14. mozilla

mozilla New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    What does the toolbar do?

I love FireFox btw.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the website:

16. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    It's just a mixture of links and inserts specifically for Big Soccer . Nothing you couldn't do with a few tags but useful none the less.

Stuff like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All by pressing one button.

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should add, development is ongoing. Going for the low-hanging fruit first, and adding additional smilies and other images.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Installed it.

Is there anyway to make it floating? I'd like to move it next to the main menu so I don't have more than two toolbar lines.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sachin

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't quite figured that out yet. I think that http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tbx may be helpful in this regard, but I don't know for certain (just found in on a search, haven't tested it out, and not using FireFox on the machine I'm on now :( ).

20. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New update!

[​IMG]

As for the issue on the Mac... I would try launching in safe mode (which we discussed somewhere around here) to uninstall the extension, and then trying again with the new version. I'm [​IMG] that it's not working for you.

21. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's cool, Foos. I don't mind being your Mac beta tester. :)

I'm not sure how to do (or if even it's possible to do) safe mode on a Mac. I'll probably just uninstall and reinstall the browser and try to add the toolbar again. Bummer is I've got to write down the bookmarks that are exclusive to FF and all the handy dandy extensions I've dl'ed. I'll let you know how it goes when I get around to doing this.

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for being understanding.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Safe_Mode_(Firefox) has instructions for safe mode on Mac OSX. I've never used OSX, so if you can't get that to work I'm afraid I won't be of much help.

23. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    An observation: I have inlined images turned off, so the smilies and other images don't do anything for me. But that's besides the point . My actual point is to emphasize the built in Bigsoccer Code.

Speaking of Bigsocer Code, I would like to suggest a BigSoccer Code List button which generates a pop-up/new window with the list of codes and their usage.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

24. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I haven't been using for two reasons:
    1.)I don't like the clutter or the thicker toolbar

2.)I don't really have a need for any of the functions. If there were some way to say, post a reply to a thread without having to visit the thread (I.e., the "What are you listening to" thread on MMTV forum, then I'd probably use it. I suppose I could look at the source code and make my own bastard for my own use.

25. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    can you make one for IE users? i can use firefox at home but not at work. they don't let me install it