Bigsoccer Mixed CD Project Round 6

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Mad_Bishop, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for all your dedication folks. We've reached the half year mark. I'm really surprised that we've gone this long. I'd like to extend a hand to our new members, ElasticNorseman and Kopiteinkc. I know Kopite, and am confident that he brings excellent taste to the mix, while Elasticnorseman has demonstrated his on this board a lot, as well.

I think all the members know the deal now. If you're a lurker or just seeing this thread for the first time, please feel free to PM me for more details or to sign up. We're always on the hunt for fresh voices (to be honest it's getting harder and harder to make the pairings while avoiding previous matches).

So check your PM's, fire up those burners and let's get cracking!

(I mentioned in the round 5 thread that we should discuss skipping December. Chime in and let me know what you think)

A bunch of appropriate links are found here

2. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I posted this in the Round 5 thread, but it looks like ACzone is no longer up and running.

3. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen, this may be a dopey idea, but I thought about it a while ago.

Why don't we do this for December...

If I am not mistaken, OBartleby did get one mix in, right?

Whoever got that... I think we should produce copies of his mix, and everyone in the project should get a copy... or whoever wants one. We can offset the cost to the person who did get it by using part of a $5.00 donation to that fund that was set up. I think it would be nice to contribute to it.

I think it would be a nice December/holiday gesture, and we can all experience the mix he made... we can all have the single partner for December... OBartleby... and we can help out the family.

What do you think?

4. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Saltenya94 is the person who got the only mix Dave made for the group. He's no longer participating in the project, and I haven't seem him around. But it's not a bad idea, Iceblink. I like that idea, as well as murph's idea of just shipping all previous mixes from this year to a partner (although I do still listen to three or four mixes regularly from folks). I don't really care what we do, I just won't have the time to organize anything.

(oh and Iceblink, I haven't found a new partner for you so far, so if you want to trade with me, I don't mind taking on another partner)

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saltenya94 is from the DC area and still pops up on the DC boards. It shouldn't be too hard to contact him, which I'm happy to do. I don't think he's equipped to do the CD burning thing too well, but I could handle it.

6. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea. I'm up for it.

We could even create a tree like we used to do on the Pavement mailing list to disseminate bootlegs. Nancyb could send it to three people and those people would send it to three people and so on. Pretty quickly you can get a lot of copies out there. I'd be willing to volunteer to be a branch from nancyb.

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for including me on this months list, I have a pile of CDs waiting for me to create an excellent mix.

I have some tough choices to make but looking forward to it.

8. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we do anything for December, I might be sending along a supplementary disc. I could make a kickass Christmas mix right about now, assuming some of the rules were set aside. Like the one about the number of songs by any particular group.

9. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    damn, murph is on the ball. I already recieved his two disc'r. I'm half done iwth his, so I'll just have to consol my self in that. I'd listen to it, but my headphones are buried in my luggage I never unloaded from my car, and my wife's asleep so I can't use the speakers. I'll listen tommorow. They look VERY promissing.

10. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um. Wait a second.

Who's my match for round 6?

11. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Uh, that's a good question, Alex :eek: I think my list is at home though and not in my breifcase, so I'll have to get back to you. I can see that I never sent a PM, 'cause there's no sent one in my box. Oh yeah, and e-mail mw what we were talking about on the way to your hotel in LA...I was really drunk and forgot what I told you I'd send you.

12. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got your mix, Mad_Bishop. (I'd like to know what program you use for the sleeve.)

I'd have listened to it right away, but my computer shat the bed the other night, and basically, that's my CD player, so...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I recognized 3 band names, of 19. My roommates recognized 5 and 9, respectively.

13. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
  14. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I guess this is what's intended by this thread? Hope you guys like it...

Disc one-fiesta

1.Jovanotti-L'ombelico del mundo
    2.Perry Como-Papa loves mambo
    3.Moloko 1930's remix-sing it back (as found on Saint-Germain des Prés café 3)
    4.Southern culture on the skids-camel walk
    5.Los Lobos feat. Antonio Banderas-El cancion del Mariachi
    6.The Gipsy kings-Hotel California
    7.Goran Bregovic-Bella ciao
    8.Ween-Voodoo lady
    9.Jonathan Richman-Egyptean Reggae
    10.Grittos de Guerra-Arinconamela (as found on Vengo)
    11.Willie Bobo-Michelle
    12.Senor Coconut-Beat it
    13.Santa Esmeralda-Don't let me be misunderstood
    14.Amparanoia-somos viento
    15.Manu Chao-Pinokkio
    16.Les triplettes de belleville-Belleville rendez-vous
    17."Wild" Bill Davis-Hit the road Jack
    18.Fanfare ciocarlia-Hora cu strigaturii
    19.Adriano cellentano-Vuo fa l'Americano
    20.Babylon circus-A l'humeur de mèche

disc two-the afterparty

1.Nina Simone-Feeling good
    2.Chet Baker-Everything happens to me
    3.Candide-and the beat goes on
    4.Van Morrison-Moondance
    5.Kate & Anne McGarrigle-complainte pour St-Catherine
    6.The beatles-fool on the hill
    7.Jarabe de pallo-La flacha
    8.Neil Young-from Hank to Hendrix
    9.Gabriel Rios-Broad daylight
    10.Pink Floyd-wish you were here
    11.Louis Armstrong-La vie en rose
    12.Peter Frampton-show me the way
    13.David Bowie-Starman
    14.Golden Earring-Another 45 miles (live version)
    15.Django Reinhardt-Minor Swing
    16.Serge Gainsbourg-comic strip
    17.Fleetwood mac-Gold dust woman
    18.Nancy Sinatra-Bang bang
    19.Paco de Lucia-Entre dos aguas
    20.Presidents of the USA-Body

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ended up making myself a Word document that's formatted for cd covers. That way I can control the final look, where aczone didn't allow that. I've found it works quite well. I've only done it for slim sleeves, but it'd be easy to do for regular ones, too.

16. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    yeah I really hated the way Aczoom formats text. Even if you know PostScript language, it's still a complete pain in the arse to use. I began to rewrite the utility from the source code to encorporate the PostScript tags I wanted to use, then gave up quickly. Now I just use Photoshop and layout text however I like. Certainly not the fastest nor the easiest way, but it's fine tuning my graphic design chops (I work closely with three graphic artists and have been getting a lot of great tips and tricks).

Incidently, what aczoom was writen for (creating listing of data/files for archival purposes) is really useful. I wrote a batch file that allows me to right click on any directory in Windows Explorer and create a .txt file of the contents. Then I can just plug in the .txt file in aczoom and it creates perfect archival listings. Now that I have a DVD burner, I've been backing up all my files, and now my DVD backups are clearly marked and it's really easy for me to find what I'm looking for. Props to Nico for this find.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I'm a bit more settled into my new location, I'm ready to be back in for Round 7 after a round or two off.

18. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And after postage issues, Iceblink's FOUR (!!!) CD's arrived at the Prof Pad this morning. Actually, they arrived a week ago, but the stupid mail service didn't give me notification until I'd left for home.

I'm looking forward to listening to these sensational discs.

19. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got mine yesterday too.

And, yeah. I was gonna say something witty about the packaging...but i just dont think i can top that.

20. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Heh, can you believe it went right over my head?

Liner notes to come tonight or tomorrow. There's some interesting stuff on those.

21. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    I have the CD-mix and its artwork. I am in the process of making a website of DC United anthems to sing at RFK made by fans.

What I could do is put up his songs up as mp3's on a different page of the website. I have no idea what the name of the songs are, because we were supposed to 'guess' and then see how far we were... but he passed away before this happened... if anything we could make it a mission to "guess" what the songs were called. Which were a lot of math-rock, instrumentals. If that's your specialty you could be of some help here.

22. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Of course if the idea is to make a "benefit cd" for OBartleby, tell me how I can help.

23. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mad_Bishop and Iceblink, I'll review your CD's this weekend (Iceblink, probably just Taste, as it's the only one I've heard fully so far). Finals week starts Wednesday, so I've been swamped with papers.

YanksFC, yours will be out shortly. Check your PMs.

24. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earlier this week, I got back from a miserable holiday visit to my in-laws to find a fine package of CDs awaiting me from Mad Bishop. After a long brutal drive home with my daughter screaming for the last 2 1/2 hours of the drive, it was a great welcoming thing to find in our package of mail.

I'm still digesting the pair of discs (one is a straight mix and the other one has a vision theme) but they sound very promising...and they look great. I'll post a review probably early next week.

MB, you have a good eye for cover art and layout. I was always happy with the covers I made for mixes but now I feel like one of those guys who claimed they couldn't touch their guitar after seeing Hendrix play. I'm never going to put together anything close to the quality of these covers. Nice job.

Here are the track listings for the two discs:

Building Beauty

Dntel - The Dream of Evan and Chan
    Dismemberment Plan - You are Invited
    Grandaddy - The Crystal Lake
    Death Cab for Cutie - We Looked Like Giants
    John Vanderslice - Coming and Going on Easy Terms
    Interpol - Length of Love Live
    Elliot Smith - Coming Up Roses
    Filthy Thieving Bastards - Red Roses
    Metric - Dead Disco
    DGeneration - She Stands There
    The Articles - Mr Pink
    The Rulers - Copasetic
    Alton Ellis - Can I Change My Mind
    Rita Marley - A De Pon Dem
    Higgs Wilson - There is Reward
    Version City Rockers - Wayfarer Sprayer
    Velvettes - Needle in a Haystack
    Joe Tex - Under Your Powerful Love
    Melba Moore - The Magic Touch
    Betty Swan - Kiss My Love Goodbye
    Marlena Shaw - Let's Wade in the Water
    Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight is All Over

I was excited to see a Marlena Shaw tune on the mix. The only thing I've heard from her is a 15-second clip of her cover of "California Soul" on the second track of the DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist Brainfreeze disc. It's an amazing little clip that I've often rewound over to hear again and again. I tried to find a disc with the full song on it but couldn't ever find one. Any ideas on where I might find the full song? In the meantime, "Let's Wade in the Water" is equally syrupy sweet. Nice track.

See the Light

Pretty Girls Make Graves - Blue Lights
    Cursive - Eight Light Minutes
    Elliot Smith - Twilight
    The Clash - Lighting Strikes (Not Once but Twice)
    Ken Boothe - Don't Wanna See You Cry
    Monty Morris - Oil in My Lamp
    The Shins - Eating Styes from Elephant Eyes
    Angry Somoans - Lights out
    Tsunami Bomb - Headlights on a Hand Grenande
    Koufax - Bright Side
    The Arcade Fire - Headlights Look Like Diamonds
    Velocity Girl - Audrey's Eyes
    Joya Landis - Moonlight Lover
    Blacksheep - Strobelight Honey
    Rilo Kiley - Hail to Whatever You Found in the Sunlight that Surrounds You
    Grandpaboy - Eyes Like Sparks
    Jaw Breaker - Shield Your Eyes
    The Pogues - The Sunnyside of the Street
    Horace Andy - Ain't No Sunshine
    Stranger Cole - Seeing is Knowing
    Nina Nastasia - Oh My Stars
    Beck - Sunday Sun
    Paul Westerberg - Sunrise Always Listens

25. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Couple of errors on the list, my fault for a crappy font lacking ampersands or apostrophes.

Higgs &Wilson
    Version CIty Rockers - Wayfarer's Prayer

I'll send you the liner notes, as I forgot to enclude them in the package.