Bigsoccer Euro 08 Fantasy Draft?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by The_ChelseaSupporter, Apr 3, 2008.

1. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing some of the drafts going on here at BS, I've decided that I should give a go at one. This one would be for this summer's European Championship, with BigSoccer members drafting full rosters of players, so that every player entered into the competition would be drafted. Points will be allocated to users depending on how well the players they have put in their starting lineups do each week. A panel of judges will be used to determine each players rating, which will be similar to the match rating system used in Football Manager 08. Draft wisely, as players from eliminated teams will not be eligible. After the group stages, the amount of participants will be reduced to eight, and the players drafted by eliminated users will be drafted in to fill in for the eliminated plyers. If you cannot field a starting eleven at any time, you will be disqualified. Players played out of position in your starting eleven will receive a drop in rating, as judged by the panel. If you do not post or PM your starting lineup before each round, you will not receive points for that round and will be effectively dqed. Starting lineups for any round can be posted in advance though, if you know that you will not be around during that time.

I would like to know if anyone would be interested in helping run this or sign up as a judge, realizing that this would disqualify you from the competition. You should be able to be on Bigsoccer for reasonable amounts of time, watch most if not all of the matches, and be fairly unbiased. Judges that have been deemed noncompliant to the rules will be outed.

Signups for drafters will probably be in a few weeks.
    Post here or PM me if you are interested so I get a rough idea of participation.

Thanks.

2. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sixteen drafters will be seeded according to how long they've been on BigSoccer. They will then be drawn into groups, much like the real Euro. The top two drafters from each group will qualify for the next round. They will be matched in one-on-one knockout rounds, with elmininated player's rosters being drafted by remaining ones. This will continue onto the final, where the two remaining drafters will have only players from the two finalist countries in their rosters. The winner will receive a surprise prize, if allowed by BigSoccer.

This will be a chance for you to prove your knowledge of the game and for newer fans to learn more about the game. I think this could potentially be great. So, if you're interested, PM me or post here.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hi CS

Great idea. Only comment is this forum is only generally 'busy' during CL matches or when there is something happening around the tourney.

So to get people interested I think you'll need to x-post in the bigger team forums....

cheers

JS

4. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, but pardon my ignorance but what is an x-post?

Glad to see someone in a high position approves of the idea though. :)

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    High position :D LMAO :D

x-post = cross post

6. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: Right then, thanks.

7. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    it sounds like a good idea.

i'd be interested in playing for certain.

i thought it best to reply on here as i doubt my team would be included in the 'bigger teams' forums... :(

8. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still looking for potential judges. Around five of them maybe?
    Keep in mind that judges can't play.

9. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon EF is the first judge to sign up. Congratulations!

10. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    and he's got a good footballing head on him.

nice start.

11. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds interesting. The only problem I foresee is you won't have much time to redraft after the group stage is over. The last group stage matches are on June 18th with the quarterfinals kicking off on June 19th.

12. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see how that would be a problem.
    I'm sure we could come up with a solution for it though.
    If anyone has any good suggestions, feel free to post them.

13. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Hmm, that is a tricky one although not a disaster. How many people you got interested so far?

14. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Flattery'll get you nowhere Fraser!:)

15. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two. Didn't do much advertising yet, will start more actively later this week.
    When do you think signups should be?

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    The turnament starts on the 7th but I'm not sure when squads are announced, probably about a month in advance so there should be plenty of time.

17. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    i'm interested

18. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In playing or judging?

19. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    I would prefer to play but I wouldn't mind having to judge, just dont know if I'll be able to watch all the games and might not be up to date with who played the best for every game etc

If I played I wouldn't mind partnering up with somebody like I've seen others do in their draft.

If I think of an idea around the quarterfinal problems I'll post them. It will be tough to find a way to make it so it doesn't effect the teams that qualify though

20. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be an organizer and still play at the same time. Gordon EF came up with a good idea for organizing it. If you have any suggestions, go ahead and post them!

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'll help organise but don't have the knowledge to judge

IMO Comme would be an excellent judge - as would people like Matt Clark and RichardL from the UK

Who knows the European posters?

You should also think about contacting people who are playing in the current draft in BG

22. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    That's what I was thinkning. Might be worth sending a few PMs or posting on that thread to drum up a bit of interest.

23. bspsoccer

bspsoccer Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Jan 25, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Everyone,

I plan on doing the prediction league for choosing each game as well as a simpler "pick 'em" type. JUst thought id led you know.

I did a CL fantasy league a year ago which worked pretty well. Limiting this to 16 is a good idea and if you want my excel score sheet, you're welcome to it.

I'll be a judge if you need another, or I can help score (since ive been scoring a bunch of stuff here lately) if you want help with that.

Also, if there is more interest in this than 16, we can break it into leagues, where each league is independent... just throwing ideas around.

24. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm in the World Draft right now. After the draft, if it goes well, I'll contact all of the players about this.

Some good ideas there. Your CL prediction league is good as I'm in second place right now. :D

25. bspsoccer

bspsoccer Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Jan 25, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Glad I could help... on both accounts.

But to clarify, i think a person would easily be able to take part in both of my competitions as well as this one. Just in case you die-hards out there were concerned with the amount of choices.