BigSoccer.com Fantasy Premier League [R]

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by BrianCappellieri, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Zenden my boy...thank you for the nice 169 point game yesterday! Although not as good as whoever has the squad Zenit St. Petersburg. 304 pts for one match..ouch for the rest of us!

One more crap game out of Nicky Butt and I'm gonna be using my first transfer!

2. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh dear, it's not going to be a good week for any of my teams.
    None of my lot seem to be scoring any goals.
    Oh well, I enjoyed my brief time at the top.

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Couple others on my team...

Yorke - Goal
    Keller - Clean Sheet, bunch of saves

Owen has another crap game...guy is killing me. should be a decent week overall regardless

4. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I just sold my donkey (Gudjonsen) and bought Owen a few nights ago.

Surely he's got to come good at some point.

It's so damn frustrating knowing that you were a hairs breadth away from buying Zenden or Diouf, but then settled for Owen because of his proven track record.

Still - Wright actually got a clean sheet this week, and he's another one that's been losing me money hand over fist.

What's everyone's biggest price mover?
    Mine's that Richard Rufus chap for Charlton - he's up 572,000 on what I bought him for.

5. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Zenden has earned me 132K and Owen oddly enough has earned 105K.

Owen has to have a good match sooner or later, so I am not too concerned with him yet.

Danny Mills got an assist tonite, so for a defender im not going to complain too much.

6. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I hadn't realised the game finishes in December.
    I was in it for the long haul.

What's the news on whether there'll be a second half?
    If so will the teams carry over or do we need to choose again?

Obviously this is directed at Erik or Forza or whatever he likes to be called.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also for at Forza/Erik how come scores haven't been updated?

I got pissed at Owen and dumped him (besides he is gonna be rested midweek).

For me, Paul Robinson is up 376K for Ne Pravda. If On White Trash FC, which I picked after the first week, Redknapp is up 227K, but had I had him from the start, it would have been 478K.

Diouf, what a great player - 184 points.

8. sleekmeek

sleekmeek New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Carpinteria CA
    When do points get updated?

9. dejamatt

dejamatt New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Needham, MA
    Absolutely Brilliant.... Needham SC stays top of the table. Unfortunately I didn't realize those 2 transfers seem ot be for the WHOLE season... (not per week), and used them both last week. So basically, I don't think I have much of a shot, especially since I was silly and transfered in Wayne Rooney.... oh man....

10. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    Dinamo Onmibykfelov, joint second after first set of matches.
    Now a lowly 111th.
    It brings tears to my eyes when I look at the table.
    On the plus side my other teams have overtaken D.O.
    New Longton Rovers in the 50's and Excelsior Novgorod a touch higher.

NLR on a charge. You guys better watch it.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The whole season.........Jeezzzzzzzz

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    You'll get a new transfer tomorrow morning.

Owen isnt playing vs Sunderland? I ditched Butt and got Giggs and picked up Lua Lua as well...going with 3 now in the back

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what the pbp guy on Saturday said. The plan was to rest him.

Woooooo! Ne Pravda in the top 100. Only 500 pts off the lead!

14. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks soccernutter...so upon that news, I sold Owen bought Wiltord and he goes out and has a brace for me tonite!

Keller with another CS as well...for once in my life I'm actually doing well in one of these fantasy games...knock on wood

15. Forza Roma

Forza Roma BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 19, 1999
    Palo Alto, CA
    Apologies for coming late to this thread. Answers to your questions:

1) Stats should be updated within 24 hours of game-time. Unfortunately, this weekend there was a problem with our stat feed. One thing to note is that we always take a snapshot of your team BEFORE the games, so you are welcome to trade even if the points haven't come yet.

2) The status of the second-half game is uncertain. Right now, we've had very positive feedback on the game, and if I had to guess, I'd say we'll do a second-half season. But we want to make sure that there's enough support for the game format/business before promising another game.

As always, if you have any additional feedback, feel free to email me.

-Erik
    ebarmack@sportingnews.com

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta have a second half.

Damn! I shouldn't have opened my mouth about Owen. :p

17. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I will not BUY transfers, Sam I am.

I will not Buy transfers, Sam I am,
    I will not do it, even though I can.
    One per week, is all I'll use.
    And with that constraint, I'll surely lose.

I think that the TSN game is an interesting game. But, it really is designed to get everyone to continually pay for extra transfers. By having nightly roster freezes, a manager (who is willing to buy unlimited transfers) can adjust his roster to field complete teams every day. He'll certainly get lots of points that way, but he'll also turn this free game into a costly fantasy game. Once someone starts down that road, and especially if they get among the leaders, the pressure to continue on that path will increase and the manager will be hooked into buying more and more transfers.

I wonder if there is a way to break up the BigSoccer division (it's too large anyway, LOL) into a group that is willing to buy extra transfers and a group that agrees not to buy extra transfers.

That way there could be a fair competition.

I just see there is no way, without becoming a paying customer, to be competitive in this fantasy game. Now, if we have a group that foregos the buying transfer aspect, then the fun aspects of the game would still be available and the competition within the division would be on an even footing.

I will probably be an early dropout of the TSN game unless we get a division of managers who agree to not use the buying extra transfers.

Hal
    Manager of the Aviators

18. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    I would like to see a BigSoccer alternative league, too, with no buying of trades, but also one entry per person.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    We could do that in the second half..if there is one...all we would have to do is use our Big Soc names for the teams ie..Your team would be Texan, mine Clanblue..etc etc etc.

One team per member would make it much harder to stay in front.

20. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Words cannot describe how peed off I am that I have just got rid of Anelka for being a donkey that wasn't scoring.

BOLLOCKS!!!!!

21. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Words can't described how happy I am that I kept Anelka even though I was desperately looking for ways to off-load him. ;)

22. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Someone is buying extra transfers in our division? Are you sure?

I checked some of the top managers and it's ridiculous. Some have 75 transfers! I guess they are pretty sure that they're going to finish in first or second...

But I don't see them stopping this obviously. TSN started the game to make some cash.

My biggest question is when are all the players going to be added and transfers updated? Clinton Morrison and many others are still not in there.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, keep in mind this is BigSoccer people were talking about. People who bitch about the $30 membership.

I for one will not buy additional players. It's more a waste of time than anything. Besides, it means that I would have sold Anelka. ;)

Yeah baby, up 45 places to #5 with 2 Arse-nal guys playing today. I've got a chance #2! (Treetaliano will probably be #1 since he has 3 Arse-nal players.)

I love White Trash!

24. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

on the player point scoring thingy....what does PI stand for?

25. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Passes incomplete.