BigSoccer Class of '05

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by realmadrid1086, Jan 23, 2005.

1. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    A friend went to University of Arizona b/c it's such an awesome party school. He enjoyed it so much that he ended up having to leave.

2. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'll be able to control myself. Well, If I go to the University of Arizona, I have to keep my GPA above a 3.0 because if it goes below, I will lose my merit scholarship which means that either I or my parents will be having to pay more, and neither situation is one I want to get into. Yeah, it's a party school, and yeah, I'll do some partying, but I think I'll be able to get pretty good grades there too (if I end up going.) It's all about balance.

3. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Off-topic and unsolicited, but sound advice nonetheless: If the partying becomes primary to school, ditch the partying. Or keep it strictly a weekend-thing. For real.

-Christopher
    HS Class of 1990
    Chapman University Class of 2002

4. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    Whoa!I have a friend that goes to Carleton College I went there last May to go visit him,it's a pretty nice town and I like the campus too.

5. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    I'm a junior and I'll graduate in 2006. (why is this thread so 05?). I'm planning to major in something that will get me to vet school.

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Carleton College '09 here. In June I graduate from Monona Grove HS. Rest assured that Carleton will be well-represented here on BS after you're gone. :)

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Augsburg College, 2005, BA, Metropolitan-Urban Studies and Sociology

finished today, in fact

Preferably looking for work in regional planning, but will also settle for social service related work. Considering graduate school for 2007 for Urban Design or Masters in Regional Planning (unless I find a decent job).

8. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    B/c it's the BS c/o 05.

9. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    News on my Abi:
    All the exams are done, will get the results of the written ones in mid-june, got 12 points (=2+ in German unterstufen system or a an A in an American history honours class) in my oral today... Will be off to Argeles sur mer/France next thursday for 2 weeks.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caltech class of '04, BS in biology... but I'm posting in this thread because I'm continuing my education this fall after spending the past year working in a research lab at Caltech. I'll be going to the Keck School of Medicine at USC; though that may change to Vanderbilt Medical School depending on waiting list status.

11. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    Today, I graduate.

12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Done, dusted, finished, thank God.

Except I've got some big exams coming up in June, but I've no more classes and have to just put the head down for them.

13. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do I.

14. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    Congratulations to us.

15. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yay! So are you officially gonna be my neighbor soon, or did you change your plans?

16. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Can please someone briefly inform me on the American education system? What "stages" does it consist of (elementary school, high school...) and how long do they last? Is there a difference between university and collage?
    I thought I knew how it worked, but I'm not really sure anymore.

I'm a first year student of history and English.

17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Around age 5 you start at kindergarden. The next year is 1st grade. Elementary School is usually 1st through 6th grade.

Junior high school is typically 7th through 9th grade.

High School is typically 10th through 12th.

You find slight variations, but basically like that. 13 years total, high school graduates are usually 17 or 18 years old.

University is the same as college, education level speaking. Normally this is a 4 year program, but we have community and junior colleges that offer two year programs as well. You can then transfer to a 4 year big boy/girl school and usually get your bachelors degree in only 2 more years, depending on the quality of the junior college or the classes you took while there.

Then you can get a Masters Degree. Usually another 2 years of school, this is the graduate program you'll hear people talking about. It can also only take 1 year.

After that is Doctorate, and that can take only goodness knows how long. Depends on if you work while going to school, if you are a career student, etc. etc.

18. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

These are definitely not typical at all.

1-5, elementary
    6-8, junior high
    9-12, high school

That's typical. There are some variations on that, as you seem to have experienced, but I've seen very, very few.

19. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Holy crap, I finally graduated. :)

20. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to say it depends on where you are at. In a large metro area, I don't think it unusual that the high schools start at 10th grade.

In small rural areas, most high schools are 7th through 12th with little distinction between or seperation of junior and senior high.

Everything inbetween maybe goes by your scale. Either way, I think we are both close enough to give the dude an idea. :)

21. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll officially be your neighbor on Aug 18.

22. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My Abitur grades:
    Latein LK 04 Punkte
    Politik LK 12 Punkte
    Mathematik P3 09 Punkte
    Geschichte P4 12 Punkte
    555 Punkte gesamt -> Abitur von 2.3
    http://www.local-operator.com/abi.xls

I am quite stisfied since I did not to learn for any exam...

23. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    In two months, I'll be in Chicago.

In two weeks and a day, I get my IB scores.

24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I still have one exam left - classics. It's a killer, but it's all over on Wednesday at 5pm on the dot, and I've already picked up all the points I need to get into the course I want to (Film, English Literature & Drama Studies), so it's just a case of getting through this last one and letting summer madness begin.

25. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm moving to Arizona for college in less than 2 months now and I can't wait. For the first time ever, I want summer break to end. College is going to be so awesome, especially where I'm going.