Biggest Derby Game in UK

Discussion in 'England Rivalries' started by Alan D, Jan 14, 2006.

1. stokemanfc

stokemanfc New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stoke vs Wolves a true derby, older than 95% of the rest. :D

2. chinnybfc

chinnybfc New Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Club:
    Burnley FC

Burnley & Blackburn go way back to the English Civil War. Burnley were supporters of Oliver Cromwell , Parliamentary Forces, whilst Blackburn were Royalists with King Charles.
    Burnley and the militia had a massive impact on turning the tide in the Civil War, at the Battle of Read Bridge.
    The force from East Lancashire marched down to Bristol.
    This in turn helped free Bristol who were under seige, if it wasn't for Burnley the Royalists would possible have won.

Now back to soccer. Big Sam from Bolton knows what it means, Burnley v Barstewards,,, Smichael from Man Utd knows, Robbie savage from Derby knows, the coke sniffer who played for Liverpool knows,,, Graeme Souness compared it to Galatasary & their derby

When we are dying we get took to barstewards hospital,, and thats not right,,, we hate them with a vengeance,,, our children when they go to the loo say just going for a Blackburn, meaning a dump on Ewood

3. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Ye but your a shitty little shit tip, Blackburn is a bigger shit tip and Bolton is the biggest town in Europe, that's why you don't even mess. You chatting all your history bollocks like Burnley was important, Bolton owned all this shit back in the day.

You go to their Hospital because you're too shitty to have your own, all I can say is I love driving past Ewood Park and watching a few Burnley fans getting bricks through their skulls.

Sam Allardyce is not from Bolton, he's from Birmingham and he means nothing anymore. It's nothing like any Turkish derby, the stadium will be silent, have you ever heard a Burnley or Blackburn fan make a sound in a stadium? Burnley is just some racist shithole, who the ******** boos and slurs there own player just because he's black?

Ye see I can talk like a warrior too.

4. Colin Bell the King

Colin Bell the King New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Wythenshawe

To be fair, Bolton being a big town means nowt.

Its not even a city, pmsl... my estate of Wythenshawe is probably almost as big as Bolton itself, haha

5. BlackburnRover

BlackburnRover New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    M6
    :eek: I'm hurt.

BoltonMassive, I think Chinny's just proved a point you've tried to make to me before.

And you're fogetting when Dingle Ugg the caveman nicked Rover Argg's club and knocked his wife out with it ... that really kicked the rivalry off.

6. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Well now you know that isn't true, it's the biggest town in Europe and bigger than most Cities in England, it's definitely bigger than your shit hole. You've actually managed to beat living in Burnley with that, it's one of the shittest places in Manchester, however I do live in Moss Side at the moment so I can't talk.

The reason Bolton doesn't have any real derbies or strong rivalries is because all the traditional derbies were within Bolton itself, Bolton contains many of the worlds oldest football clubs, aswell as the oldest football pitch, however since only one of the clubs is in league football now it's kind of rendered the derbies pointless. Yeah big up, try and beat that Burnley and Wythenshawe.

7. Mourinho's Mentor

Mourinho's Mentor New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Celtic - Rangers
    Millwall - West Ham
    Liverpool - Manchester United

8. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Did you just add the Millwall - West Ham one because they had a bit of s scuffle the other day?

9. Throbbin Wood

Throbbin Wood New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    MN, from Manchester!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But... but... but Green Street Hooligans said it was like Israelis vs. Palestinians, dude...

10. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    It's nothing though, people don't realise how huge City - United is because nobody gets coverage of any of the fighting, it's constant not just on derby day. You see shit all the time happen around here, there's a City fan who lives on the corner opposite me and he gets bricked and everything all the time, he just has rails and mesh over all his windows and won't move because he doesn't want to give in.
    No film crew could ever get any of this because they simply are too scared to come anywhere near.
    As a result I do not wear any Bolton shirt without covering it up with a big coat, and I sure as hell tell anyone who asks me that I support United. It's the same in most places though, I'm not trying to make out Manchester to be some well hard place like the Gunchester days.

11. Throbbin Wood

Throbbin Wood New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    MN, from Manchester!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was dicking around with that comment, but I know what Manchester is like. There are more reds than blues, despite what City supporters would have you think. The Manchester Derby obviously has a share of violence, but like all local derbies, people of both allegiances share the same family, job, etc. I imagine the Liverpool Derby, London Derbies, and any derby for that matter to be the same. Obviously the clubs have the small minority of mongs who you wouldn't want to be caught in a room with.

12. thetoffees

thetoffees New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    This one divides a lot of fans, there is an intense rivalry yes, but currently is tingged with bitterness because of United's recent success and Liverpool's long wait without a League title.However they are both always up there compeitng for major honours so the game have more hinging on them than just bragging rights. However it shouldn't be called a derby game IMO.

13. Alfiesdodgyknee

Alfiesdodgyknee New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Glazer's Pocket

Its a fair point, should United Liverpool be a derby then by the same measure so should Everton United. Im not including city as they are shite. And havent had the same success Everton had in recent history (80s) to have a real meaningful rivarly with any of the teams on merseyside other than the Mancs V Scousers angle

That aside it (Liverpool V United) is the biggest fixture in english football it possibly the fiercest rivarly in the country with both clubs history, tragedys and geographical closeness. 35 minutes down the M602 means its quicker and easier to get to than alot of the London Derbies

14. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    United - Everton? Oh boy. Liverpool - United is not the biggest fixture anymore, maybe back in the 90's when winning that game actually meant something but it's usually quite irrelevant now. Derby's in England have had all the passion sucked out of them, by TV, by stupid stadium rules, by heavy policing and the price of tickets. The biggest English fixtures these days are always one involving bragging rights in a City, the Manchester Derby will soon get even bigger, but I just wish City still played at Maine Road, then there would be an atmosphere.

15. thetoffees

thetoffees New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    This Premier League blog says Liverpool v Man United is the biggest derby stating their numerous title tussles, I consider it slightly different to ususal locald derbies, like Everton/Liverpool,

But I think the main rivalry stems from the fact that Liverpool were once the most successful side in England but United have now caught up with them, and boy do they not like it...

16. salesman

salesman Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    i was taught that Millwall and West Ham had ugly confrontations in the past.

17. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Well whoever taught you that clearly failed to mention that just about every club in England has had ugly confrontations with their rivals in the past. Millwall v West Ham is just the glamour one that they can sell abroad because both teams are from gally ald Landan, and they can use the Cockney accent to send some people's dicks on end.

18. Throbbin Wood

Throbbin Wood New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    MN, from Manchester!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They fackin' lav it in London.

19. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

No he doesnt
    [edit] Top-flight Appearances

• Most consecutive seasons in English top-flight: 84 seasons, Arsenal (1919–present, though no League football was played due to war between 1939 and 1946)
    :p

20. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Easily Everton vs Liverpool. 1 of the most played in the uk and unlike the scottish derby remains largely about football and not outside issues which constantly play a more important part in the scottish one

21. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a very subjective question even before you add in the question "what actually constitutes a derby?".

If you wish to talk about historical plight outside of football then yes, it is quite clearly the Old Firm derby, but if football is your point of reference then the OF derby thesedays just doesn't hold that same mystique as it used to from the days of Old Firm "legends" like Marco Negri, Henrik Larsson, Ally McCoist and Jorge Cadette. It's hard to claim the biggest derby as well when no one outside of Scotland really gives a toss in general.

If Liverpool v United is a "derby" then it's the winner hands down but for me it never will be no matter how much we are told it is, it's a grudge match and the biggest in the UK taking its place comfortably football wise amoung any in the world.

Liverpool v Everton is the derby of the most succesful area in the UK, Merseyside and you get everything you get from the Old Firm but at a much higher quality so for that reason bias or not that is my answer.

Arsenal v Spurs is always one I look forward to because of the contrast of styles despite both teams insistent on attacking football first and foremost, this makes for some very entertaining games.

Villa v Brum is another but for completely different reasons, you just know something mad will happen in that game, it always does.

In the future the biggest derby game will become City v United, there's no two ways about it. City the new money v the most succesful team of recent years in the UK. Historically City were the bigger team of course which also helps, just as Everton were the bigger team before Shankly came along.

The viewing figures will prove when United and City meet that it is the new biggest derby in England but it will never have the historical significance of the Merseyside Derby or the Old Firm.

22. Tiotes gonna get you

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Newcastle vs Smogs hahaha.

Newcastle vs SMB the real north-east Derby. Smogs are just a small town in Yorkshire

23. TomHammers93

TomHammers93 Member

Aug 2, 2011
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    West Ham vs Millwall. A couple of notherners were slaggin it off but it's a 'proper' rivaly. And it's starting to fire up again after not playing each other that much. There are loads of 'proper' rivalries though. The ones that jump out though for me is West Ham vs Millwall obviously, Liverpool vs Everton, Newcastle vs Sunderland, Cardiff vs Swansea the Old Firm......Well actually most teams that are near each other and have history with each other lol. It just depends who you support and where your from i suppose. I'm from South East London so the West Ham-Millwall appeals to me. People might not see the fuss about London derbies and vise-versa with London team fans and the Mancester derby lol. Although that should be getting better now.

By the way didn't mean any offence when i said northerners. I just meant the lads from the north. I wasn't having a go at anyone.

24. Liverbird7

Liverbird7 New Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    For me it's the Merseyside derby, but I am a Liverpool fan so I would say that. The Old Firm game is incredibly heated and intense but I don't like the connotations behind it all.

No idea how the East Midlands derby between Nottingham Forest and Derby County isn't on the list because they REALLY don't like each other... at all!

There's a great story from that fixture this year. Basically Derby were at Forest and somehow won despite getting an early red card and going behind really early on. To add salt to the wounds, their fans got £2000 together and sent a plane over Nottingham's ground with a huge banner. The follow up story and great picture is here and there's some other links to the organisers:

http://www.resultsbasedbusiness.co.uk/2011/11/written-in-skies-update.html

25. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Westham v Millwall?