Big week for Keller {R}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by babytiger2001, Dec 5, 2004.

1. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll wait until the end of January to see what's on the table, and then sign with MLS if nothing decent comes up. Pretty simple math I'd say. Were I him I'd want to stay in England if I could, maybe another year, then go to Seattle next year if they get an MLS side. RSL has no right to him, I dont' think. Who the hell would want to play in 3.2 land anyway, he'd probably be arrested for hs taste in music.

(it's a joke, relax)

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    None really. But I don't think some of the guys who came back in 96 get enough credit for sacrificing bigger paychecks. I'd feel some internal responsibility to help the league grow if I was at that level, but it should be a more internal feeling than any external pressure. He's always talked about playing his last few years back home, but how long does he really expect to play? It's the same sort of thing I feel Reyna should do in NJ after the 06 WC, but it's just my opinion and by all means these guys have the right to finish their careers in Europe. It's just a choice for them to make, to be one of many who helped grow the sport back home like Anschutz, Hunt, Cobi Jones, Jeff Agoos, Eddie Pope, Balboa, etc. I think Keller is one of the few players with star appeal and name recognition and wouldn't just displace a young, up and coming keeper any more than Jeff Cassar or Matt Reis.

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    None of the founding american fathers of MLS was, by 1996, having a remotely as successful Euro career as Keller has had the last few years. The '96 crew weren't sacrificing all that much.

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I know it seems like I'm just trolling now, but Arsene Wenger said he wasn't going to buy a keeper in January. Since Alumina is not very good (as evidenced their last 3 games) could the Gunners make a run for Keller until the end of the Premiership season? For me, there's just no good reason Kasey isn't starting in the EPL. And if he's going to back up, it should be on either Arsenal, Chelsea or ManU. Plenty of other #1's (Given, Robinson/James, Kilray) are all keepers there, and Kasey (and Brad, and Tim to a degree) are better than most.

Thx,

Jay!

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    but some of them like McBride and Pope have over the years sacrificed some money. I agree that guys like Keller, Reyna, and O'Brien have had more to lose if coming back. But I'd like to see them play week in and week out for a few years before they retire. I'm just curious if Keller thinks he has 2-3 good years left if he signs for several more years in Europe. I'm not sure but I guess it's up to how long he wants to play. I don't want him coming back expecting a maximum salary once he's started to seriously diminish due to age. More to the issue is that for the UMSNT I'd rather have him playing week in and week out cause he's my first choice and I'm not sure he'll get that anymore in the EPL

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How does a 35 year old keeper returning to the states help devo soccer in the US?
    He's at the end of his career, and far beyond the nat team, he's thinking about getting as much of a bankroll as he he can in his last couple years. Maybe he's better off returning to MLS as a coach when he's done, and MLS will be able to offer him something he can't find overseas.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also, said before, but the keeping in the 1bund is awful at times. He could find a nice home here. even, I might add, in goal for a certain team emplying an icon who did it again today. Maybe he's actually gone blind and no one wants to admit it and it will soon be a teary after school special, but OK looks past done.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I stopped reading right there. How is our first choice national team keeper "far beyond the nat team?"

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good point. I got a call from work while i was writing and hit post. What I meant to say was, more than thinking about national team, he's thinking about the future. He may well be our keeper in 06, but his future is not about the USMNT. his future is about putting away waht he can save, and trying to set up his family for a post-playing life.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    My Spanish ain't no good ... but did I just hear Andres Cantor say that Kasey Keller was coming to UNAM?

It surely sounded like that.

11. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller apparently didn't make the bench for today's game vs Southampton either. Hope he gets out of there soon, he deserves alot better than this.

Also, here is another article about his time with the saints.

http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?hlid=244791

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Interesting. The Mexican league surely has thte money to lure a player like Keller.

13. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Doesn't Hugo hate American players in general?

14. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...why would he have made the bench at Southampton today? I think it's clear he's outta there in another few weeks.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he started his career in the USA in the NASL and ended it in MLS.Very unlikely he has anything agiainst USA players.

16. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Maybe I'm thinking about his rant against Chivas joining MLS and CA possibly following suit.

Something along the lines of we shouldn't be doing anything to help them, yada, yada...

I remember Sorber played for Pumas, so KK wouldn't be th first.

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    What would that have to do with "Hugo Sanchez hating Ameerican players"?

18. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Just wasn't sure that's all. Don't remember if those were his only statements. My Spanish is rusty and Hugo's comments about MLS over the years have never been kind.

That's why the question mark after the question.

Just wanted to see if anyone could confirm or elaborate. That's all.

19. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Good point.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I haven't seen/read/heard anything else about it since last Saturday ... and I may not have heard it then either. :confused:

FWIW, Kasey, in his most recent comments, seems to be interested in staying in the EPL, as a back-up if need be. Given the MFL's split season schedule however, he could potentially be loaned to a south of the border team.

21. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    But there's some limits on foreigners, so that makes in unlikely to me.

22. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    What else can Keller do to earn a starting spot in the EPL? He has always been solid, has always recieved positive reviews for his play, yet still finds himself in limbo.

I truly hope another EPL team picks him up and at least gives him a fair chance for playing time this winter. It would be arguably unjust if it didn't happen.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No, he's not had a particularly great year for Tottenham in 2,003-04 which is why the Spurs went out and got Paul Robinson from Leeds. (on the cheap too, @£2.5M)

PS. Mexican league is "limited" to 5 foreigners per roster, IIRC. It's one of the most lenient leagues from that perspective ... which is not to say that Kasey is headed there or that I heard Andres Cantor properly.

24. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    all i want from him right now is, to have his head shaved, so he will look a little more cool ! ...

25. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Can you point out some specifics as to how it is 2003-2004 was a bad or not "particularly great year" for Keller with Spurs? You sure it was him or was it the team needed remodeling, and with an eye to the future they brought in a young keeper. I haven't heard elsewhere that Keller had a poor season. What were his stats like?