Big Ten Basketball Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by WarrenWallace, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm totally stoked.

2. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ohio State will not be in the Final 4 in 2007. Further, it will be interesting to see if the NCAA reduces scholarships as a part of sanctions. if so, then you get Oden, Conley and who else for this class? (Assuming Oden & Conley still go to Ohio State).

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Could I borrow your crystal ball for a few minutes? I have some lottery tickets to buy.
    Who pictured us in the Final Four with the awesome firepower of Scoonie Penn, Michael Redd (who was only a second round pick) and Ken Johnson?

When was the last time they did that? That's equivalent to "what if the NCAA forces one of your random recruits to be shot next season - who'll commit to OSU?"

We have 7 open scholarships. We obviously won't be giving all those out. We also have commitments from Daequan Cook (second best 2 in the nation) and David Lighty (one of the best 3's in the nation). So I think we'd be fine.

4. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I have had season tix for many years now so they better not screw me now, like they did for the Fiesta Bowl national championship game.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been to an OSU hoops game since early 2001 (I had graduated, but my student season tickets hadn't run out yet). I'm thinking about shelling out for tickets this year (remarkably reasonably priced, IMO) just to make sure I have a better shot at buying season tickets in 2006.

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    If you don't end up getting tix, let me know and we'll go to a few games. My wife usually has school in the evenings, so she misses a few. :cool:

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    All indications from the athletic office at tOSU are that the NCAA is satisfied with the self-imposed post-season sanctions from this past season, and that since no more violations of significance were found after an 8-month investigation -- beyond what was already known -- they will not punish the university any more than what they university already did to itself.

That being said, this picture cracks me up...

[​IMG]

Shaq, Mugsy -- Mugsy, Shaq.

8. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait,Can't wait,Can't wait, :)

9. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Monday, November 28

Virginia Tech at Ohio State, 6:30 p.m. (ESPN2).

Tuesday, November 29

Wisconsin at Wake Forest, 6 p.m. (ESPN)

Purdue at Florida State, 6:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Clemson at Penn State, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)

Illinois at North Carolina, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Miami at Michigan, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Wednesday, Nov. 30

Georgia Tech at Michigan State, 6 p.m. (ESPN)

Minnesota at Maryland, 6:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Northwestern at Virginia, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)

Duke at Indiana, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

N.C. State at Iowa, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Oh it's gonna be rediculous...

Folks in recruiting circles are saying that class could match the Fab Five if not surpass it.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, rumors are Josh Chichester has also committed, which means we might well be seeing a Ricky Dudley redux. Who, for all that he was an NFL bust, was a first round pick.
    If OSU picks up one of Young, Harangody or Ramar Smith, recruiters will definitely rank it better than the Fab Five. Of course, Mack Brown's been winning recruiting titles for years......................

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. But Matta has done amazing things in his short career, but never with access to this level of recruit. This is very exciting. I know it's crazy talk, but I've got visions of early-60s OSU hoops dancing in my head. I would love the program to return to that level of performance on a consistent basis, and have the caliber of players that team did. Probably not possible in the modern college game, but one can dream.

I do agree that to surpass "Fab Five" level, this class needs one more top-shelf player. Let's just hope we have more success than M*ch*g*n did with that class (don't forget, we won two Big Ten titles and M*ch*g*n won nothing while the Fab Five was there).

13. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hold it right there Chief. Even the AD expects more sanctions.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14789083&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

14. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    If this is true, I'd suggest adding "Fundamentals of the Timeout" to the required curriculum in OSU's Katzenmoyer School of Athletic Education.

Along with Golf, AIDS Awareness, and Music Appreciation, of course.

(Actually, the above courseload might best meet the needs of a future NBA multimillionaire).

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, everybody makes fun of this, but all large universities have courses like that available, and even I took advantage of them. I took Aikido and Karate, once I took Soccer just to get to full-time (didn't want another engineering course), and another time I took "Social Recreation" (ie, card games) to get to full-time. That last one was good for meeting girls, believe it or not. At least, there were a lot more better looking women than you usually find in engineering.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
  17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    The one nice thing is that the Midwest and Ohio especially are loaded with talent for the next 4 years or so. Matta already has the top freshman in Ohio committed! Cincinnatti's on the wane, which means if we can lock up Ohio alone, we'll be damn good.
    Also, I'm less worried about the Mack Brown effect because talent tells in baskebtall more than any other sport - there are so few players that a small gulf in talent is made larger by comparison.

Do you hate Michgan vowels more than consonants? Or do you think no one will understand *i**i*u*? :p
    Hopefully Oden's not Chris Webber and doesn't take hundreds of thousands of dollars while in school.

18. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    At Michigan at least, you can't take PE courses for credit, although it was always funny seeing the ed school PE students playing duck-duck-goose as part of their "coursework."

MSU has a course titled "walking" that you can take for credit, according to my sis-in-law. That always leads to good jokes during the MSU-UM game, especially when some MSU player trips in the open field.

19. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Just more evidence of the shoddy Ohio educational system.

Michigun? :D

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    There's a little known law in Ohio that prevents us from spelling that state's name correctly when football is under discussion. Its now more known after that tragic grease and spooning of 73. A lot of good men were lost that day.

21. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    I forgot we were discussing football.

What?

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    There's another law. Whenever any Meechigan and OSU sports discussions are involved, its always about football.

23. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Oh, cool. That means I can repost these here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Nuetron Man is dead. RIP brother!

25. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most famous alum of my high school... soon to be surpassed by Chris Rolfe, methinks.