Big Soccer World Draft????

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by stevieg987, Dec 13, 2005.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i don't know that i'd go so far as to call it "broke", but there were a great many rule complaints and debates during last year's

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Last year, we did not confirm the judges until midway through the draft. It might be better to secure all judges before the draft. I was asking a judge for advises without knowing that he or she was considering to be a judge. If I knew ahead of time, I would have not done so.

3. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    This is stupid about Hackaratti. "Italy loses when he plays" When was that my dear uninformed friend. My past experience watching the Azzurri does not back your claim whastsoever (partly because he barely plays ;) ).

As for him and Inter how can you claim one player is the sole reason that the team does not win??. Utter garbage IMO. Inter have the second tightest defence in the league this season. Keeping 12 clean sheets and allowing 11 goals in only 6 games with the Butcher in the line up. SO that does not back up your claim of him being the reseon that Inter loses.

I will certainly agree that he is not the cleanest defender nor the most talented but you put him on a level of a Legrotaglie or countless EPL center backs. The fact is that he is mediocre which is the point Teso is trying to put forth.

But then again ignorance is bliss in the land of Chelski eh nice??

4. Perchik

Perchik New Member

May 24, 2004
    Chicago
    You do realize that the guy who drafted Legrottaglie actually won the whole thing last year? :rolleyes:

I'm still concerned about judges. We didn't hear their reasoning last year, and I'd like to see people paying attention to the draft and taking their time evaluating games, and explaining their reasoning to all participants.

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    OK, last year initally we intended to have 7judges for the draft. So many obstacles pevented this that it wasn't even funny. We intend to have the judges sorted out way before time this(next) year. I cannot definitively say that the judges will tell you what's up, but we'll emplore them to do so in a more open manner. lanman's suggestion about it being a great way to scout a future opponent was a good one and I personally would love for the judges to comment and critique out in the open.

I feel one thing put some judges off doing so last year - people's anger/bitterness and protests at hearing criticsms of their team and squad... if you can't handle the flame don't ask for the fire! Everyone should remember that all the judges do so volutarily and are still part of big soccer and are not used to abuse (of that kind) for their opinions, so, if people want an open discussion and such then please respect the judges whether they rule against you or not. There is a way to get your point across without acting like an embittered child.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The most annoying thing is that these were the same complaints and debates that had existed in the previous draft and we tried to address.

Hopefully they can be sorted this time.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    A radical idea and one full of potential headaches, but since most of the more knowledgeable posters will be those taking part in the draft, why can't we devise a system that involves the participants doing the judging?

8. Perchik

Perchik New Member

May 24, 2004
    Chicago
    You mean Big Soccer World Draft Survivor style? Who will outwit, outlast and outplay the competition?

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yeah, i think we got all excited to start the draft and didn't clarify a few items

btw i vote for raising the squads to 18

10. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I drafted last year, and I'm definetly interested in doing it again. Last year I took over someone else's team in the 3rd or 4th round. This time I want to make sure I'm in from the start.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

Umm, no, we clarrified the rules at the start of the draft but then people started complaining about them part way through. The big mistake last time was that I decided the rules myself without consultation in an attempt to remedy the previous year's errors.

This time I want a consensus on what people think the appropriate rules should be before we get going, they should be laid out in bold for all to see in a sticky so there is no debate.

I personally don't care that much about the injuries or form issues, just so long as people are all clear what the rules are

12. soccer_stallion32

Apr 3, 2004
    The fact that he won with Legrottaglie in his team is irrelevant to the point that he was/is not a quality defender.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

actually, i was referring to the injury and form issues

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Because many newbies disappeared after 1st or 2nd round.

I suggested that all participants must have 2000 posts or more. Some people can be here since 1999, but only have 1000 or less posts.

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I know, but they were actually laid out before the draft started.

Sadly no-one paid any attention until I picked Woodgate and then people started to complain I was cheating in some way.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I can see your logic but there have been some excellent drafters with low post counts (Bilbao Lion and ASU Cruz spring to mind from last year), some very poor drafters with low post counts and some very poor drafters with high post counts.

There are plenty of people with thousands of posts who simply write rubbish.

Some would suggest using the rep system as an indicator but it is notoriously poor.

One thing I would say is that people who let us down last year have basically no chance of taking part this year. Some people just stopped after one round last time.

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    :( :( :(

*Sobs uncontrollably

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It was you that I was thinking about when I wrote it ;)

19. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    :D
    That's why I cry!!!

20. soccer_stallion32

Apr 3, 2004
    2000 posts?? Thats a bit much dont you think?? I made it to the quarter finals last year (beating you if I remember correctly) and there is absolutly no way I can make up the 1500+ posts I need to meet your quota. I dont think I would be the only one to say that # of posts or even rep points on a soccer forum board are not exactly the best indicator of someone's knowledge of the game.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LOL...

I had the same reaction when I read the post... I was like... et tu comme?

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

:) Sorry, I took it back, but I still think we need to do something to screen out the participants.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I think it should be left to those in charge of running the draft. They know the standard and reliability of the vast majority of posters wanting to be involved. If there are any remaining spaces, then they can check the standard of the member involved (type/quality of post, ask their main mod, etc).

24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good point!!!!! I recalled that most of the participants in the draft of draft were invitation only. A few places were signed up. We missed Gregoriak. He would be great on my team if he was in draft of draft.

25. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you need another judge, I'm interested. I enjoy evaluating tactics and players so this seems like a fun challenge.

I follow the Prem, Serie A, and La Liga regularly. I also catch one French, German, and Brazilian game a week. Plus all of the weekly highlight shows and plenty of club and country tournaments in Europe and S.America. I'm just working on my dissertation now so I've got time. :eek: