Big Soccer Confidence Poll (April)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by cpwilson80, Apr 20, 2006.

1. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we have done since January, please vote for how confident you are today that the US will advance out of the Group Stage in the 2006 World Cup.

2. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Bruce will coach us past the Czechs.

Keller will get us a result against Italy.

The only question is, can we keep our concentration and beat Ghana like we should?

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Sounds a lot like the last group stage.

4. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I've moved up to very confident. Our key players are looking increasingly likely to be healthy and that's far more important than how our scrubs played Germany

5. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

Yes...but this time if we slip up in game 3, we'll be going home...hopefully we've learned from last time.

6. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am very confident that we are sending our best team ever to a world cup. i am, however, very worried about results. Italy will probably have there best team since 90, and chech rep. is a team that can not be taken lightly at all. so while i think we are a good enough team to break bracket, i was more encouraged about our chances in 02 than i am in 06. sorry.

7. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I was extremely confident a year ago, posting that pending the draw, I liked our chances, when GAM got hurt, my confidence took a shot, and then the draw came out, and it was like getting knocked down in the ring. January gave some faith, what with Twellman seemingly finally getting it, Noonan putting together two nice games in a row etc. But since then very little has gone right. GAM has not shown the rapid improvement we had hoped for, Twellman did not build on the success of the Norway game, and while Pope helped at Centerback, the engimatic Berhalter turned in an awful performance and Conrad went from a shoe in to a non-entity in dicussions in the past month. Worst of all Wolf, whose slumber began a long time ago, has continued the slumber with no distinguishing performances to his credit to wipe away a poor '05, indeed his performance in '06 is generally speaking worse than his performance in '05. My feelings since January

Up:
    Gibbs
    Dolo
    Mastro
    Convey
    Pope
    Gooch

Holding:
    Dempsey
    Keller
    McBride
    Reyna
    Lewis
    Olsen
    Albright

Falling:
    O'Brien
    Donovan
    GAM
    Wolf
    Ching
    Conrad
    Zavagnin
    Boca
    Berhalter
    Hejdude
    Ralston
    Noonan
    Twellman
    Klein
    Spector

Basically this is my view on whose shown improvement or consistently excellent performances, whose been holding steady, and whose either sucked, or not shown as well as in January or in '05. This is also why my confidence has slipped a bit since January and since a year ago today. The only guys whove really gotten me excited in the past year are Dolo, Gooch, Convey, and Dempsey. You could add Pope to that list since I believed he had no shot a year ago barring a miracle but he now appears to be a lock.

8. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    your confidence in O'Brien is falling? the guy has come back from an injury... is playing in mls (which means he should be close to game fit by germany) and he's "falling"??

i think a healthy reyna and o'brien and a resurgent pope are all good signs going into germany...

9. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I am lacking in confidence for our team. I also think we will have BY FAR our best team ever. However, Italy and the Czechs will be EXTREMELY difficult to beat.

I am confident we will play well and have a team that is ready. However, I think Italy and the Czechs have too much quality for us. At this point, I don't see us scoring against either team.

I hope our games in May provide more confidence. And, it will be good to finally see us play when we have 11 who can play soccer. At any one time, we had 7 against Poland, 4 against Germany, 3 against Jamaica, etc.... so hopefully we look better in May.

10. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Ah maybe this is where a guy in another thread is getting that we're too confident. Personally I go back and forth. Sometimes I think we can top the group and others I think we'll lose all 3. I have no idea how we'll perform. I don't think anyone does because we haven't yet seen our first team perform against high level competition in 4 years...like I mention in another thread I started.