big news out of NJ tomorrow

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by soccerreigns, Jul 29, 2009.

1. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    don't know for sure but I can guess with it though! and you should be able to as well.. should know more after a few phone calls..

but the great thing is this team is very tight and no coach leaving will tear this team apart! They may still miss the playoffs but it won't b/c of this!

2. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    I'm sad about this... i quite like Sky Blue.. i like their players and the way they generally play. I hope they come out in the next match with fire in their bellies.

3. Mkat

Mkat New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I hope so too!!!!! :)

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So soccerreigns, what are the alleged allegations? Come on, tell us. This is driving me nuts.

6. page1of1

page1of1 Member

Dec 3, 2008
  7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just let your imagination run wild:). That is always more exciting.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    None of this is good for the team or the league. All this crap with Sawyers, and now Lindsey and the assistant coach, whatever it is, is not good. A fresh new league that's trying to stay alive cannot afford to take so many hits to the gut.
    I hope that Sky Blue FC irons their stuff out for the next season.

9. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    I will be setting up shrines to every deity known to mankind and praying to them all to help make this come true.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. Seriously. Stop w/ "I know stuff you don't know nahnahnah..." while also saying that you are only guess and that guess might not be true.

pasoccerdad isn't the first one to note that others have had trouble working with SkyBlue ownership in the past. Perhaps an intrepid soccer writer can get Lindsey to speak on the record (or a couple of players off the record)

Resigning w/ only a month left (if they make the playoffs) doesn't make Lindsey look good from the outside but clearly there is more to the story (and more than one side). I've left a job after only a short time where my leaving didn't ness. look good on paper. But it very definitely was a poisonous working condition and best for me to cut my losses.

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the assistant coach has a problem with the team and/or ownership and Lindsey is supporting the assistant coach so she is leaving along with him??

Bizarre.

12. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    So what's in the water in NJ? First the Metrostars go through something like 6 head coaches in their first 5 seasons (and I lost track as to how many over the first 14), now Sky Blue is already on #3 before the first season is even out. These two teams should be very happy together in Harrison. Even the NY Power was one of only two WUSA teams to fire a coach.

I have to imagine the league will be looking into this chain of events leading to Lindsey's resignation. This sounds kind of disturbing.

13. NYsocc10

NYsocc10 New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. skyblue better do their homework if they plan on getting a coach for next year. we need someone in the ny/nj soccer market to do well and quit the drama and controversy...

wow i didn't know gold pride was that desperate to hire a coach that would desert her team with 2 weeks left in the season.

and how about all the others involved in this mess?

or maybe there isnt more to the story except inexperience. and the poisonous work condition resigned right along with her.

14. westcoastfan

westcoastfan New Member

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    we are!

15. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    ha ha ha! that really made me laugh out loud. It will be interesting to find out what actually happened. She seems like a really good coach to me. Gold Pride would be lucky to get her. She seems to motivate the players. So strange what happened.
    :confused:

16. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    This episode is strange...

I think it is irresponsible for her to quit at this point of season...UNLESS she has a really compelling explanation. Timing is not good at all.

Jose Mourinho quit Chelsea during the season. It was in the fall of 2007. But, it was at the start of the season. Chelsea still had time to find a replacement manager.

In the future, I think it would be wise for any team to think twice before it considers Lindsey as a candidate for the coaching position...

I feel bad for SBFC although I am not a SBFC supporter...Now SBFC has the dubious distinction of having 3 coaches in one season...

17. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I read the article and Hofstetter had other interesting things to say...He thought that Lindsey didn't know what she was doing as a coach...He said that she was very close to Sawyers...She was really not comfortable taking over from him. Hofstetter said that she probably would not be SBFC's coach next year.

Confusing...If Lindsey felt so bad about what happened to Sawyers, maybe she should have said no to the coaching job.

Last season, Juande Ramos took over as the manager of Real Madrid. Previous manager, Schuster, got fired. He knew that he probably would be not asked to come back after the season was over. But, he didn't quit Real Madrid when the team still had a few more games to play. He stayed on the job until the end of the season.

Walk out on the coaching job because she won't be back next year? Responsibility?

Quotes:

But despite the turnaround, Hofstetter said Lindsey, who was close with Sawyers, would likely not have been the coach next season, which may have accelerated her decision.

We are shocked. We didn't see it coming. We didn't expect it," Hofstetter said. "We did expect that Kelly would not be our coach after this season. Kelly was very close to Ian and she was put in a difficult position. She dealt with it very professionally. She tried not to let it influence her day-to-day work.

"In the end, she struggled with Ian gone. She was always seen as Ian's extension by the players and everybody else. That was ultimately the reason why she left. It was basically Ian's regime. I heard that she was still very close to Ian and still in contact with Ian the last few weeks and months."

Hofstetter also said he didn't feel Lindsey was ready to be a head coach, which wasn't her fault, and did the best she could.
    "Kelly was challenged," he said. "Being a college coach and professional coach are two different things. At the end, she was not there yet and it showed. She struggled with it. I don't want to say she did a bad job, but she needed to grow into the job."
    [​IMG]

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since she took over as coach, they went from last place to being a contender. If I figured this right, they were 5-4-3 since she took over. Records since mid-May:

Los Angeles 7-1-3
    Saint Louis 7-4-1
    Washington 6-4-2
    Sky Blue 5-4-3
    Boston 4-5-2
    Chicago 2-7-3
    Gold Pride 0-6-4

Other than a loss to Washington in her first game as head coach, they've played every team tough and really only had consistent trouble with Saint Louis, who they were 0-3 against. Considering the situation she inherited, I would have thought that management would have given her a vote of confidence. If Hofstetter doesn't think she knows what she's doing as a coach, then I think he better look at management first.

19. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW, what a Prick - She turned the season around from last place and made your team a contender... I will never put another dollar down to attend a Sky Blue game.

The Handled the Sawyers firing with some dignity... yet when someone leaves them after improving the team by huge strides - he says they stink as a coach and are not qualified

He probably told her she would not be the coach next year (Not the first time)... Gee... maybe she did not want to work for you

When you have people leave even before the season and in the history of the SB - You may want to evaluate that
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lindsey, who took over with the team in last place, guided Sky Blue to a 5-3-3 record and into playoff contention. But despite the turnaround, Hofstetter said Lindsey, who was close with Sawyers, would likely not have been the coach next season, which may have accelerated her decision.

Hofstetter also said he didn't feel Lindsey was ready to be a head coach, which wasn't her fault, and did the best she could.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, I would like a soccer reporter to interview players/other staff (and get honest quotes from them) but I think it is less likely that a player will give more than the usual media speak--they have their own jobs to consider.

And yes, it is also possible that Lindsey was supportive of Sawyers and/or as difficult to work w/ as he reportedly was while at SkyBlue. But there have also been reports that ownership is difficult. An ownership that likes to tinker and a coach that wants to run a team "their way" will have conflict.

However, Hofstetter is the only one talking to the press right now and he is going to press his own view of the situation (and clearly deciding to say she was a crap coach, didn't know what she was doing, etc) and he clearly has an agenda to press. Without some other sort of input from Lindsey, players, or other SkyBlue staff (or even Sawyers) I will continue to think there is more to the situation than has been revealed. And yes, I know that the "more to be revealed" very well might make all parties involved look even worse.

Clearly, Lindsey made some changes (both in who started and atmosphere) which were positive for the team so she wasn't just parroting Sawyers and had some ideas of her own. I do wonder now who was the person behind the trades SkyBlue made. Was it ownership or the coaching staff?

In many professional sports, coaches are expendable and move (or are fired) frequently. Basketball coaches really have no job security at all.

eta: yeah, pasoccerdad, if Hofstetter hadn't said those things to the press, I'd be much more likely to think (more?) badly about Lindsey. But he did not at all handle this with professionalism or class.

21. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    It strikes me as very weird that the CEO would publicly bash Lindsey when she turned the team around. Nobody would just quit at the end of the season, with their team on the verge of the playoffs, without a very good reason. This all just doesn't add up. I'm looking forward to seeing what, if anything a statement provides in terms of facts. That being said, it almost seems slanderous of the CEO to be slamming Lindsey, and painting the picture that she walked out for no reason because she wasn't going to be the coach next year, if he knows the reason she left. He mentioned her giving a letter before practice. I would be very interested as to what it said.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly doesn't pass a quick smell test.

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finish out the season, and sell the franchise to Red Bull for next season.

After all, Red Bull never fire their coaches no matter how bad they are!

24. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hahahaha!:D

rep

25. angrybluebaby

angrybluebaby New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I can only see 3 reasons why someone would go like this ...

1) Don't like the work - pretty unlikely, done a great season turn around and she clearly loves the game

2) Don't like the team - nope, seeing as she was close with Sawyer and still stayed on when the team was losing at the start must've meant some attachment to the girls. And appears like they got along quite well

so that leaves us with ...

3) Don't like the boss

And from the article, I don't either. Instead of bagging Lindsey out in public, shouldn't he want to get to the bottom of why such discontentment and just feel a little bad as to why the head coach would leave without talking to him ? Obviously she didnt' feel like he was someone she could talk to.
    You may question why she should leave the team hanging at this moment, but seeing as she obviously put a lot of heart and hardwork with the girls I doubt this decision was done lightly - something might of finally pushed her over