Big fish in a little pond, or a small fish in a big pond?

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by SquareUp, Nov 4, 2007.

1. SquareUp

SquareUp New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Just curious to what people think about the following situation:

Would you prefer to have your daughter stay on a team where she gets a lot of playing time (i.e plays every minute), but it's a bronze team. Or, would it be better if she were to play on a Silver Elite team, for example, but get a lot less playing time?

Is playing time more important at this age (U13) versus training at a higher level?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. can't say until we are there but my daughter wants to play. she plays alot now but still bugs the coach to go back in. i can't see her being okay with warming the bench.

maybe they could say they are on the more competitive team but if they aren't playing much, they aren't contributing much. also, how long till a more talented player comes along?

add-on: if my daughter were obviously the strongest player on the lower level team, i think we'd try to find a happy medium w/ a team that was more competitive and close to the same amount of playing time.

3. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Another question to consider is the level of coaching between the two teams. Sometimes lower level teams can actually have better coaching then the higher level team and that is sometime that has to be weighed when making your decision.

I would also have to ask how much is "less time"? My own daughter went from a situation where she started and played practically an entire game for teams through U12 to one where she had to earn her starting place at U13. She still played basically 50% coming off the bench, as did all the other kids who didn't start. I think it was actually a good experience for her not being a starter any more as it allowed her to set a goal for herself, but I still think playing time is very important. This was a team playing in the top division of our state premier league and 2 years later is arguable one of the top teams in the region. I personally feel the coach's policy on playing time has contributed to the success of the team.

4. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Depends how much is a lot less playing time? Did she just join the better team if so there is a breaking in period where she would play less. Then she would in mostly hood play more. Has she been playing for a season fall and spring that is a season and is still [playing hardly ever that matters.

What's the difference in the kind of training she is receiving with both clubs. Is the training a lot better with the silver. Is the training fair everyone is getting a fair chance to train together that matters.

Playing against better makes you better.

Most important thing does she want to move up or is it the parents idea. It always has to be the players idea what the player wants. It is not about what the parents want.

5. soccermom444

soccermom444 New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    I would consider three things:

1. The quality of coaching for the two groups.

2. The quality of players in the two groups.

3. Your daughter's happiness.

Obviously, if the silver team has better coaching and better players, you would want your daughter there. Training is much more important than game time. However, just because the quality of players on the silver team is better does not necessary mean the coaching is better. Also, if your daughter will be miserable warming the bench, even if the training is better, it is not worth it to play on silver to have her self esteem and possibly her love for the game diminished. Usually a good rule of thumb is to play at the highest level one can where one can still be successful, and obviously always taking into account the coaching and players that will be alongside your daughter.

6. SquareUp

SquareUp New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You all have given great responses. Thanks so much for your replies.

7. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Training is very important, but do not discount the importance of game time. I believe Big Guy would also agree on this point, although perhaps for different reasons than I. I look at it from the perspective that the confidence gained by being able to play and contribute in a game is very important to the psyche of a youth player, and professionals as well. Just ask New England Patriots's Wes Welker. ;)

I believe Big Guy would simply say players have to play and he makes sure all his players do by scheduling additional good quality games where those who might not get to play in one game get to play in another.

You will find it very difficult to continue to motivate players, even professional players, to train if they are not rewarded with some form of playing time. IMO this is a very important consideration when making the decision to change teams.

8. Sportingmom

Sportingmom New Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Central IL
    My u14 daughter has been playing up- she's on a u15/16 team. Since she's joined the team this last spring, we (her parents) and the coach have noticed a huge improvement in her game. It was her decision (along with the DOC and her coach) to play up. She has had to prove herself in practice and in games, but it has payed off. In spring, she didn't get a lot of playing time, but learned a lot by watching the older girls. This fall, she consistantly plays half to 3/4 of the game. Hard work (and a big growth spurt) has almost put her on a level playing field with the highschoolers. She continually works to improve her game. It also helps that most of her team plays on the high school soccer team she'll try out for in the fall after her 8th grade graduation. She doesn't regret moving up. The decision has to be the player's, not the parents. Tha player's the one who has to put the work in. Hope this helps.

9. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    You know me to well my dear. Have to train and you have to play. But, while your new to the team your learning you might not play a lot in league play. I am advocate in booking a lot of friendly games and against good opponents. New players to my teams play a lot in those friendly games. Then eventually in both if I did my job right.