BIG announcement coming from the LA Blues…i

Discussion in 'Orange County SC' started by Flex Buffchest, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The LA Blues just announced they have a BIG announcement to make in the coming days. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what this might be? Possible partnership with an MLS side?

https://www.facebook.com/LABluesPro

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This year, we are going to actually make an effort to sell tickets!"

3. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lord, I hope so. Like I said, I live not even 10 min from Titan Stadium and haven't seen anything around the area promoting the Blues. If I didn't go on Bigsoccer, I would've had no idea they even existed.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im going to guess rebranding...

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My random guess is that they are affiliating/being taken over by the Galaxy or Chivas. The Blues may be a joke but I bet it would be cheaper to work with them than to have to pony up $500K for an expansion team in USL.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make more sense.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name change to the Purples

8. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm guessing its a Chivas affiliation. They have to do something (based on my understanding of the MLS-USL affiliation), and this seems like the cheapest, logical route for the Goats. AND, both rosters could be entirely interchangeable for USL play:p

I think the Gals will bolster their B team and just play them in the USL. Long term, they may set up their own USL club in a stand alone market (Inland Empire, LAs Vegas??) if the financials pencil out.

9. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be happy if the Chivas adopted the Blues, and rebranded the MLS club to LA Blues. Name change alone could help attract fans turned off by the Mexican farm team persona.

athletics68 repped this.
  10. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Chivas were going to rebrand, they could do a lot better than LA Blues

11. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That goes without saying.

My point was, "At the very least, changing to LA Blues would be an improvement."

Just my monthly shot across the bow of the Goats rubber boat

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  12. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here's my Darkhorse candidate for affiliation: EarthQuakes

13. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 Flex Buffchest, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    Interesting tidbit. I messaged the Blues and said, "As a Galaxy fan, I hope you guys aren't partnering with Chivas USA. I just can't support the Blues if they're affiliated with Chivas." They messaged back saying, "Sit tight! :)" The smiley face gives me the indication they're not. I may be reading too much into it, or maybe they just couldn't say anything right then, but I didn't get the vibe that they were heading towards Chivas. Who knows though.

14. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Message em back and say that if they partner with the Earthquakes, you definitely won't support them:p

athletics68 and Flex Buffchest repped this.
  15. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Earthquakes made a huge stink about Portland deciding to affiliate with Sacramento, claiming that Sacramento (120 miles away from them) was within their territorial rights. It would be pretty strange for them to turn around and affiliate with a club smack dab in LA.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never underestimate the lure of spite!

17. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No much has come out about the Galaxy USL side since November though, and there wasn't anything concrete from the statement. It was a very generic "things are progressing..." statement from Bruce Arena. The 2014 season is approaching. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the Galaxy and Blues reached some a partnership.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the easiest option, wouldn't it? They should be announcing the schedule before too long, so we'll all find out.

19. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this was a horse race=
    #1 LAG. Makes the most sense, but would just a few LAG players really help the Blue survive ? They need an
    attendance boost. Also, LAG seem to have enough players to really form their own team.
    #2 Chivas. Also nearby to make moving players around easy.
    #3 SJ. If SJ lost the chance for SAC, LA would be closer for distance in terms of shuffling players. Having said that, other teams have not let distance matter (HOU- PITT, ROCH- NE, KC-ORL or KC- OK)
    --
    Assuming PHX will link with SLC. No other USL teams on west coast- unless you count Colorado Springs, who logically should like with the Rapids.
    -
    Another thought- maybe the Blues do link with Chivas and LAG does a stand alone team. That adds yet another west coast team for USL
    -
    Another though part 2. The way USL keeps adding teams, there may be more west coast teams coming.
    Who would SEA link with ? Does VAN fit into this mix ?

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they do their own thing in San Diego, as has been rumored/leaked/reported.

There are obvious reasons to draw a connection between RSL and PHX (RSL has an Academy an hour or so south of here, they're one of the closest MLS teams), and RSL did send a player or two (I think a goalie, at least) down here last year for a spell. But they've not done a formal agreement that I'm aware of (the previous president of PHX had a hardon for Seattle) and if they did do it for 2014, it might very well be a one-year thing. For a couple of reasons.

21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Remember it's a minimum of 4 players that can go on loan. If the Galaxy/Blues partnered, I could easily see like 8 Galaxy players on loan plus academy kids. Also if they partnered, wouldn't shock me to see the Galaxy eventually just buying the Blues, especially if the Blues owners continue to lose money.

Seattle has mentioned of starting their own USL club in 2015. They felt it was a little too early to get one properly launched for 2014, same with Dallas.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOOPHOLE!

(Sorry, reset from another thread.)

23. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    I think it's going to be a full on take over opposed to the standard affiliation deal. According to their Facebook they're having a fire sale tomorrow to try to unload their Blues merch. Makes me think they're not going to be the Blues for much longer.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will go quickly!

(I also love the guy on their Facebook page who apparently wants to try out for the Blues, but wants them to schedule another tryout just for him. Dedication. Whatever It Takes.)

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if they disappear, Blues merchandise could one day be worth literally tens of dollars.