Big 12 2020-21

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by superpoke, Sep 11, 2020.

1. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    So far, so good for all games being played this week. Hoping that holds!

Last week:

Iowa State showed their efforts against WVU and OSU weren't just from opponent unfamiliarity with Matt Fannon's style of play. That's a great win for the Cyclones, and one that shows they will have an effect on the final standings - which is not familiar territory for ISU. Baylor's still playing their usual way, but they'll have to find a way to generate an effective attack.

Texas/OU was not a good game to watch, but Texas looked better throughout and deserved the win. Tough to get a read on what Carr wants to do with OU, but it's clear the COVID disruptions didn't help their preparation.

The layoffs have also hurt Texas Tech; they're missing key defensive personnel, but it's the lack of offensive punch that's really killing the Red Raiders. Though, with Madison White in goal rather than Madison Martin, they might have escaped Lawrence with a draw; Martin had good position on the KU goal, but she just wasn't tall enough to do anything about it. The seven-inch height difference in keepers might mean a lot later on. Kansas, on the other hand, is scrapping through right now and finding ways to win. Resilience is never a quality to be overlooked, and they're getting a lot of respect from the Coaches Poll for what they're doing.

OSU/WVU lived up to the billing. I thought the Mountaineers had a clear advantage in the first half, but the game settled more evenly during the second half. The first OSU goal was just a perfect shot, and really should have been the only goal - West Virginia's goal looked to be the result of some odd bounces, and the Cowgirls' golden goal probably should have been saved. It was probably more physical than it needed to be, as both teams picked up some injuries, but all in all, it was the game fans were hoping for. If and when a Big 12 Tournament happens, I won't be at all surprised to see these two tangling again.

This week:

Texas is going to have to play a whole lot better this week or West Virginia is going to beat them badly. There's potential in this game if Texas gets their act together, but otherwise, I expect WVU to take out their disappointment from last Friday on the Longhorns.

Oklahoma State has the inside track now; the trick is to keep it, and Waco has been a tricky place for the Cowgirls over the last decade. I think the Cowgirls are better than the Bears, but that doesn't mean much. OSU will have to play well to counteract Baylor's always-physical style, so it probably helps to have played West Virginia last week.

Kansas shouldn't need magic to win this week. The Sunflower Showdown may be in Manhattan this year, but I don't think K-State has what they would need to take this one. Kansas is better and should show it clearly.

Texas Tech also should be able to work out some kinks this week, depending on how much progress Oklahoma has made since Friday. But even if the Sooners look better, I expect Tech to take the points. The bigger question for Tech is when they'll get back to full strength with their personnel; if they're going to live up to their preseason-favorite status, they need to do so quickly and get some help.

The under-the-radar game for me is in Fort Worth. I'm interested to see just how much Iowa State can disrupt TCU; we know the Frogs have firepower, but we also know the Cyclones can hold their own defensively. I don't trust ISU to keep pace in a shootout, so I think their defense is going to have to set the tone.

AtypicalSoccerMom repped this.
  2. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
    “Baylor's still playing their usual way?” What does this mean....

Baylor has demonstrated the ability to adapt their game from a direct style to be a more clinically technical team this year. They controlled most possession of the Iowa State game. Watch tonight!

F7CB4D1E-2C47-45B3-9635-7671C028046E.jpeg

3. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    When Baylor's "style of play" gets discussed around here, it has nothing to do with their methods of attack or possession. It has to do with how physically Baylor plays, and that doesn't change.

4. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    No I absolutely mean how direct they are. Yes they are physical which borders on dirty (there’s a list of coaches who will no longer play them) but o watched them play a few weeks ago and they didn’t complete a pass sequence longer than 3 passes one time. Not once.

5. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering if anyone has watched the first two games of OU? They got a slow start and not many positive things were said about the new coach so wondering now that they have been on the field a bit what everyone's thoughts are?

It seems each week there are some surprising outcomes but OSU, Kansas, and WVA staying at the top

6. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
  7. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    And this is where Baylor's rough style comes into play. They deserve some credit, particularly Wandt in goal, but a lot of teams will look strong on defense when they're committing fouls at a 3-1 rate (the count was 19-6 Friday night). Baylor has 49 fouls in four games!

Oklahoma State wasn't at full strength, and having to move Grace Yochum more to the back because of it changed the attack. That combined with Baylor's disruption did enough to keep the Cowgirls from scoring; I don't feel like either team really had a chance that anyone would say should have been a goal. The important thing for the Cowgirls is that they pulled a point from an off night and retained the conference lead.

8. AtypicalSoccerMom

AtypicalSoccerMom New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pick your favorite ranking format.
    Big 12 included in this week's Coaches poll (top 15):

OSU - 4
    Kansas - 5
    WVU - 9
    TCU - 12

TDS power ranking (top 10) is a little bit different. I'm not sure why WVU is left off this one.

5. Kansas (3-0)

Three games, three 1-0 wins for the Jayhawks. It’s an interesting series of results for a team that lost two all-time program greats in Addisyn Merrick and Katie McClure. A trip to Waco is likely to be a low-scoring affair.

Last Week’s Result: W 1-0 vs. Kansas State

This Week’s Match: at Baylor (Oct. 9)

6. Oklahoma State (3-0-1)

A trip to Waco yielded just a single point on Friday night, as the Baylor back line proved to be too difficult to crack. The Cowgirls continue to reinforce themselves as contenders, which will be put to the test by a good TCU side.

Last Week’s Result: D 0-0 at Baylor

This Week’s Match: vs. TCU (Oct. 9)

10. TCU (2-0-1)

A third Big 12 program cracks the top 10, as the Horned Frogs are off to an unbeaten start through three games. Traveling on the road to take on Oklahoma State presents a tough challenge.

Last Week’s Result: W 1-0 vs. Iowa State

This Week’s Matches: at Oklahoma State (Oct. 9)

Mojo45 and Texas Futbol repped this.
  9. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    didn’t manage to see any of the OU before tonight but they are down to Iowa State right now with 20 minutes left and they are struggling. There is no idea on how they want to attack. No attacking method and Iowa State are easily defending them at this point.

10. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
  11. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    He has underperformed at every level he has been. What about his record leads you to believe this will be any different?

Is this KSU last year? He can only use the excuse of a new program for so long. I actually think they are getting worst every year. I mean Texas isn't even very good.

It is a shame there are no inter conference matches. Really tough to tell how good the top teams in each conference are.

upthemightyblues repped this.
  12. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    KSU was extended through 2023 in August of 2019. (!!!!!!!!!) I cant imagine he makes it that far, but, unless the contract isn't written remotely in his favor, it seems unlikely there will be a change after this season, even if, as you surmise and I agree there should be.

As posted on another thread, he is the least paid head coach in the Big 12.

13. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Whatever they are paying him seems to much. KSU Big 12 record is 2-29. This year they have given up 15 goals in 4 matches. This is year 5. Do they care?

ISU seems to have been a good hire. Not sure that was a surprise. It's what happens when you hire someone with recent success.

The top of the league seems very meh. WVU recently and OSU 10 years ago seemed like nationally relevant teams. What has happened to this conference?

14. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Oklahoma having so many different championship sports across the university I would assume the AD is very sharp. Not sure how he picked this coach. The only explanation I can see is that he got blinded by the US Soccer connection and didn't look deeper into his actual performance. As a new coach, how long does he get to turn it around?

I agree that the ISU coach seems like a good hire. Got a chance to watch a couple of their matches and they have a nice cohesion and smart about how they are playing up and down the field.

15. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Shocker OU doesnt look good. You mean to tell me the coach who couldn’t win with the US Youth National Team cant win with OU???? Can’t believe it

16. ACrom

ACrom Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Apr 10, 2020
    Yes I’ve been watching Oklahoma for the past few years but this team is amongst the weakest I’ve seen. You shouldn’t judge on teams during this period, but Iowa State is significantly better than what I saw in the past few seasons.

17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Its not like we were winning it regularly before him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_U-17_Women's_World_Cup

but finishing bottom of the group was a shocker. Even the game they won vs Cameroon was controversial. A goal when an opponent was clearly lying injured. A PK that was outside the box that included a red for the GK. Not control play at all vs 10 and a failure to add to the lead until Cameroon went down to 9 players !!

Here is the roster he took to the WC

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/usa-roster-announced-for-2018-fifa-u-17-womens-world-cup/

Hard to know how good the players were at the time they are selected. Have seen most of them since at varying levels from YNT 20s to College.

With the growth of the club superteams, we end up with youth players who are stockpiled on "winning" teams who have little to no concept of defending or adversity. Most of the highly rated defensive female youth players I have seen come into College are not good defenders. Often they are midfielders or ex attackers who learn a new position in College. The CBs on the superteams are rarely under pressure. Hard to project if they can handle physicality, speed, read the game well at higher levels.

Sorry, I digress. I can only guess that the OU AD thought that Carr may be able to bring in recruits who can win games. Problem for him is, he called in several small technical players into his youth camps and Im not sure you can play that type of Soccer in that conference and win consistently. Will be interesting to see how Yoshida does for him.

18. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    OU brought in a losing YNT coach, a losing PAC-12 coach, and well... they are losing. Yoshida didn't do much in the PAC-12, but was very surprised she left and followed Mertz to OU of all places.

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Unless you can attract a decent percentage of the very best players, you cannot play effectively with players like Yoshida. Oregon, with respect, cant do that either, but probably have more chance than OU, so I agree 100%

Its much harder to pass around teams than it is to use power to disrupt games, launch the ball long and hope for mistakes, set pieces etc.

I dont think ADs are realistic. They seem poorly informed or willing to hire a guy who does not suit the job.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  20. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Does Kat mertz have the greatest personality in the world? I’m genuinely asking. She keeps getting job after job and has never done well.
    Maybe she’s just one of those people who are magic to be around. I know some of them and they make life better. So if she’s that persona then I get it, but if not it’s a head scratcher.

21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018

Some ugly numbers here for sure. How do you lose when your opponent cant create anything 15yds from your goal !

22. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, that is an interesting theory. Don’t know much about her but you may be right.

the Oklahoma team has a lot of returning players and they were performing much better last year. I know they lost Dao but only a couple other seniors graduated that weren’t starters. The main difference in the roster are the transfers the new coach brought in. Maybe with time they will start to work more together with more games behind them but it sure isn’t looking good right now. I’m sure the coach is relieved he may get a pass this year because of COVID-19.

TCU, OSU, and W. Virginia are looking strong about half way through this short season.

23. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
  24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    or.

During the 2020 fall season, the TopDrawerSoccer.com will release Power Rankings, sizing up the top teams playing in the truncated Division I soccer season. With minimal non-conference games, and no NCAA Championship for the fall, the Top 25 will return in the spring.

A flurry of Big 12 results shake up this week’s edition of the women’s DI Power Rankings.

1. North Carolina (4-0-0)

The UVA-UNC matchup slated for last Thursday was canceled. The Tar Heels have had difficulty with past trips to Boston College, so that’s something worth watching as they make a two-game swing north.

Last Week’s Result: No game

This Week’s Matches: at Syracuse (Oct. 15); at Boston College (Oct. 18)

2. Florida State (4-0-0)

A two-game road trip is on the docket, with stops in Pittsburgh and Charlottesville on the schedule. It marks the most substantial tests of the season to this point for an FSU side that looks good through four games.

This Week’s Matches: at Pittsburgh (Oct. 15); at Virginia (Oct. 18)

3. Arkansas (4-0-0)

It’s a shame that the Razorbacks can’t match up against non-conference opponents to get a measure on how they stack up against the premier programs outside the SEC. Friday’s game against South Carolina isn’t an easy one, but almost halfway through the season, Arkansas continues to impress.

Last Week’s Result: W 2-1 vs. Alabama

This Week’s Match: vs. South Carolina (Oct. 16)

4. Virginia (4-1-1)

Due to injuries and potential COVID-19 exposure, last week’s non-conference matchup against the Tar Heels was canceled. It’s unclear whether this week’s pair of matches can go forward, with big tests against the Cardinals and Seminoles on the way.

This Week’s Matches: vs. Louisville (Oct. 15); vs. Florida State (Oct. 18)

5. Texas A&M (2-1-0)

A visit from Florida on Sunday provided a stiff test that the Aggies were able to answer. Next up is a plucky Mississippi State side that’s done well so far.

Last Week’s Result: W 2-1 vs. Florida

This Week’s Match: vs. Mississippi State (Oct. 16)

6. Clemson (4-2-0)

The Tigers rebounded with a 2-0 home win versus Wake Forest over the weekend, and hit the road for a visit to South Bend.

Last Week’s Results: W 2-0 vs. Wake Forest

This Week’s Match: at Notre Dame (Oct. 18)

7. TCU (3-0-1)

Trending upwards in both the Power Rankings and in the Big 12, TCU remains unbeaten after traveling to Oklahoma State and coming away with the full points. They can’t underestimate Texas Tech, despite the Red Raiders’ surprise struggles this weekend.

Last Week’s Result: W 2-1 at Oklahoma State

This Week’s Match: vs. Texas Tech (Oct. 16)

8. Louisville (3-1-0)

A week of rest allows the Cardinals to prepare for a two-game swing to Virginia. Neither will be easy, even if Virginia remains with several players unavailable due to injury.

Last Week’s Results: No game

This Week’s Matches: at Virginia (Oct. 15); at Virginia Tech (Oct. 18)

9. Duke (3-1-2)

The Blue Devils have spun off two straight wins, looking familiar to past editions -- hard to break down and beat and able to get enough goals to be formidable going forward. A two-game road swing won’t be easy given the pandemic, but the two games are opportunities to win.

Last Week’s Result: W 2-0 vs. Virginia Tech

This Week’s Matches: at Boston College (Oct. 15); at Syracuse (Oct. 18)

10. West Virginia (4-1-0)

A win on the road at Texas Tech bolsters the Mountaineers into the Top 10, as they’ve enjoyed a solid conference season so far. Baylor’s arrival this weekend provides another test.

Last Week’s Result: W 2-1 at Texas Tech

This Week’s Match: vs. Baylor (Oct. 16)

Honorable Mention: South Alabama, Georgia State, Georgia, Duke, Florida, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Mississippi State

Texas Futbol repped this.
  25. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020