Big 12 2020-21

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by superpoke, Sep 11, 2020.

1. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    For however many games can actually be played, a Big 12 thread!

Preseason Info

Preseason Coaches Poll (cannot vote for own team)
    1. Texas Tech (6)
    2. Oklahoma State (3)
    3. TCU
    4. West Virginia
    5. Texas
    6. Kansas
    7. Baylor (1)
    8. Oklahoma
    9t. Iowa State
    9t. Kansas State

Preseason Coaches All-Conference Team (cannot vote for own players)
    GK Madison White, Texas Tech
    D Kim Rodriguez, Oklahoma State
    D Cassie Hiatt, Texas Tech
    D Jordan Brewster, West Virginia
    MF Ceri Holland, Kansas
    MF Grace Yochum, Oklahoma State
    MF Yazmeen Ryan, TCU
    MF Julia Grosso, Texas
    F Olyvia Dowell, Oklahoma State
    F Messiah Bright, TCU
    F Kirsten Davis, Texas Tech

Week 1 Games

Sept. 11
    West Virginia at Iowa State
    Kansas at Texas (LHN)
    TCU at Baylor (ESPN+)

Sept. 12
    Oklahoma State at Kansas State (ESPN+)

Postponed Week 1 Games: Texas Tech at Kansas State (rescheduled for 11/13), Oklahoma State at Oklahoma (TBD)

2. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Well Baylor still murders the game. Yikes.

3. AtypicalSoccerMom

AtypicalSoccerMom New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas was down 7 players but managed to squeak by with the win. Lots of playing time for the freshmen.

4. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Week 1:

Saw a bit of the UT/KU game. Texas couldn't finish at all, despite some good play. It felt for a while that Kansas was just trying to hold on, but if the Jayhawks were down that many players on top of their personnel losses from last year, that's understandable. Ceri Holland got a fortuitous bounce on the winning goal; the Texas keeper should have made that save. Definitely some early-season form for both squads.

Didn't catch TCU/Baylor, but the box score looks like TCU was also in early-season form up front and couldn't finish. Baylor is Baylor; they're physical when they're good, physical when they're not. Not surprised to hear it was ugly. I already wonder if this result will influence the conference title race.

I don't know if it was rust on West Virginia's part, improvement in Iowa State, or a combination of the two, but the Cyclones made a better showing than I expected. They gave up an early goal, but held the game at 1-0 for 70 minutes. Stats say it was WVU's game in the second half and that ISU fouled a lot. We'll get a clearer picture of the Cyclones on Friday.

The choice to move their game up from November didn't work out so well for Kansas State, but it couldn't have worked out better for Oklahoma State. Two goals in the first three minutes iced this one early. Kim Rodriguez sat out for the Cowgirls because of a red card in the second-round fiasco against Santa Clara in last year's tournament, and the Wildcats were without both their best player, Brookelynn Entz, and regular goalkeeper, Rachel Harris.

It's still too early to truly gauge the teams (especially since two haven't played), but I've got to think Texas and TCU are both regretting missed opportunities.

Standings after Week 1:
    Oklahoma State 1-0-0 3 +3
    West Virginia 1-0-0 3 +2
    Kansas 1-0-0 3 +1
    Baylor 0-0-1 1 0
    TCU 0-0-1 1 0
    Oklahoma 0-0-0 0 0
    Texas Tech 0-0-0 0 0
    Texas 0-1-0 0 -1
    Iowa State 0-1-0 0 -2
    Kansas State 0-1-0 0 -3

5. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Big 12 announces the rest of its scheduled broadcast coverage for the season: https://big12sports.com/news/2020/9/14/2020-big-12-soccer-tv-coverage-announced.aspx

Summation: Texas home games on Longhorn Network, Oklahoma home games on Fox Sports Oklahoma, everything else on ESPN+ except for two ESPNU games. Kansas home games are listed on the Big 12's release as ESPN+ games, but not on ESPN's release. If all that is correct on the conference release, then only four or five games will not be available through ESPN portals.

Oklahoma State at Oklahoma has not yet been rescheduled and is not listed here. Previously, that game was going to be shown via Oklahoma's online service, but no word on how it will be shown now.

ping repped this.
  6. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Totally agree. However, I've seen shots like that slide by keepers at all levels (eg. De Gea misses a lot of easy saves) so it is also a great lesson on putting the shot on frame.

7. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
    Watched the Big 12 games! A few observations....

- Oklahoma State looks really strong with an offensive attack
    - Kansas State settled down their D with an offside trap after the first 10 minutes. Impressed with their Arkansas transfer as forward
    - TCU defense is really athletic and fast. And, their GK on the Mexican national team is excellent. TCU had a some good scoring chances on Baylor but Baylor GK and D made some strong saves
    - Baylor has added some freshman with good technical skills
    - KU has lost some talent from last year but their GK and D look solid.
    - Texas has always had tremendous talent especially with two top Canadian players. However, their team chemistry and rhythm may need more time to gel.
    - WVU vs Iowa State - still need to watch!

Schedules for Friday:
    https://big12sports.com/calendar.aspx?path=soc

ping repped this.
  8. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I watched Baylor vs TCU. that was brutal to watch. not much soccer being played. just wack it and let me try and out athlete you. if they had a rule that 5 consecutive passes equal a goal the game still would of been 0-0

SuperHyperVenom and L'orange repped this.
  9. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004

Haha exactly. Baylor doesn’t even look to connect a pass. Just kick it as far forward as possible. “Some of the new freshman seem to be technical.”.....um how could you tell?

SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  10. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Texas Futbol repped this.
  11. AtypicalSoccerMom

AtypicalSoccerMom New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No real surprise, KU vs. OU has been postponed. Oklahoma had to reschedule last week's game too.

12. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Pretty much would imagine if you have to cancel one game you will have to cancel 2. Most kids have to be quarantined for 10-14 days if they test positive or contact tracing puts them in quarantine

13. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
    Texas Tech cancelled vs. Kansas State due to Covid cases. However, Baylor is scheduled to play Texas Tech in Lubbock, TX on Friday at 5:30pm on ESPN+. I hope this game and many more across Women’s college soccer play on!

14. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
  15. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Conference honors for Week 2:
    Offensive Player of the Week - Grace Yochum, Oklahoma State
    Defensive Player of the Week - Kayley Ables, Baylor
    Goalkeeper of the Week - Emily Alvarado, TCU
    Freshman of the Week - Madison Martin, Texas Tech

TDS Team of the Week: https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/womens-team-of-the-week:-sept-22_aid48524

Standings after Week 2:
    West Virginia 2-0-0 6 +5
    Oklahoma State 2-0-0 6 +4
    TCU 1-0-1 4 +3
    Kansas 1-0-0 3 +1
    Baylor 0-0-2 2 0
    Texas Tech 0-0-1 1 0
    Oklahoma 0-0-0 0 0
    Iowa State 0-2-0 0 -3
    Texas 0-2-0 0 -4
    Kansas State 0-2-0 0 -6

Week 3 Games (all scheduled for Sept. 25):
    Baylor at Iowa State, 6 PM Central, ESPN+
    Oklahoma at Texas, 7 PM Central, LHN
    West Virginia at Oklahoma State, 7 PM Central, ESPN+
    Texas Tech at Kansas, 7 PM Central, ESPN+

TCU at Kansas State has been postponed and will be rescheduled.

16. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The Coaches Poll is going to run a Top 15 during the fall with teams that are playing. I missed that decision, and I'm frankly a little surprised.

Big 12 teams in the first poll:
    4. West Virginia
    6. Oklahoma State
    9. Kansas
    14. TCU

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that the coaches are doing that. From a statistical perspective, there is no way to do a good ranking when the top conferences, for all practical purposes, are playing only conference games. (I know that the ACC is playing a few non-conference games, but not enough to be significant.) This does not mean that the coach rankings are meaningless, just that any meaning they have does not come from valid current statistical underpinnings.

18. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't think there's a good way to do this from any perspective with so many schools sitting out right now. Regional rankings might make more sense, but they aren't going to do those.

On the men's side, they're only ranking a Top 5, which to me seems to have no value at all.

19. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Suppose I should also add that United Soccer Coaches have started their Player of the Week awards as well. Emily Alvarado from TCU claims this week's honor.

20. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
    Big 12 has #6 and #8 per Top

During the 2020 fall season, the TopDrawerSoccer.com will release Power Rankings, sizing up the top teams playing in the truncated Division I soccer season. With minimal non-conference games, and no NCAA Championship for the fall, the Top 25 will return in the case of a spring season.

With all conferences now underway (minus a few programs sitting out due to COVID-19 issues) there is a flurry of movement in the most recent edition of the Women’s Division I Power Rankings.

1. North Carolina (2-0-0)

The first two games yielded two wins for the Tar Heels against Wake Forest and Virginia Tech. A rivalry matchup with Duke is up next.

Last Week’s Results: W 4-1 vs. Wake Forest; W 1-0 vs. Virginia Tech

This Week’s Match: at Duke (Sept. 27)

2. Florida State (2-0-0)

Another ACC side that secured two wins at home, the Seminoles looked solid, winning both games without conceding a goal. Leilanni Nesbeth could be a crucial attacking figure during the current season.

Last Week’s Results: W 5-0 vs. Notre Dame; W 1-0 vs. Louisville

This Week’s Match: No match

3. Arkansas (1-0-0)

There’s little doubting that the Razorbacks have a relatively easy start to their schedule with games against LSU and Kentucky. Last weekend’s game resulted in an easy win before a road trip to the Bluegrass State on Sunday.

Last Week’s Result: W 2-0 vs. LSU

This Week’s Match: at Kentucky (Sept. 27)

4. Texas A&M (1-0-0)

Addie McCain stood up to provide the offense in the opening matchup, scoring twice from her midfield spot. That’s the trend to watch in the conference schedule, which continues against Auburn this weekend.

Last Week’s Result: W 3-0 at Mississippi

This Week’s Match: vs. Auburn (Sept. 27)

5. Vanderbilt (1-0-0)

It was nearly a disastrous start for the Commodores, who conceded twice in the first half at home against Kentucky. Senior Haley Hopkins led the comeback, bagging a brace that ensured a quality

Last Week’s Result: W 3-2 vs. Kentucky

This Week’s Match: at Tennessee (Sept. 27)

6. Oklahoma State (2-0-0)

It’s now two wins from two matches for the Cowgirls, with Kim Rodriguez back in the lineup over the weekend. Up ahead is a crucial matchup against a West Virginia side that’s shown some quality through so far.

Last Week’s Result: W 2-1 vs. Iowa State

This Week’s Match: vs. West Virginia (Sept. 27)

7. Clemson (3-0-0)

Wins against the Hokies and Cavaliers at home buoy the Tigers into the Power Rankings. Caroline Conti played a pivotal role in both games. The team now has eight days to prepare for an Oct. 1 matchup against North Carolina.

Last Week’s Results: W 3-0 vs. Virginia Tech; W 3-0 vs. Virginia

This Week’s Match: No match

8. Texas Tech (0-0-1)

Kirsten Davis and the Red Raider offense were unable to get off the mark against Baylor. They’ll look to rectify that this weekend on the road against Kansas.

Last Week’s Result: D 0-0 vs. Baylor

This Week’s Match: at Kansas (Sept. 25)

9. Virginia (1-1-1)

While Virginia looked like the better side on Thursday against Duke, they were unable to convert it into three points. Injuries could be an issue now with Taryn Torres yet to play this season and Alexa Spaanstra coming off injured against Clemson.

Last Week’s Result: D 1-1 at Duke; L 3-0 at Clemson

This Week’s Match: at Virginia Tech (Sept. 25)

10. Louisville (1-1-0)

Emina Ekic couldn’t provide the magic needed to defeat Florida State in Sunday’s match. The Cardinals now have some time to regroup and prepare for an Oct. 1 game against Syracuse.

Last Week’s Results: W 3-0 at Miami (FL); L 1-0 at Florida State

This Week’s Match: No game

Honorable Mention: South Alabama, Kansas, Troy University, Duke, TCU, Florida, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Alabama

21. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020
    Big 12 Games tonight!

92F0968D-8D20-4164-A426-90609A06334B.jpeg

Mojo45 repped this.
  22. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Obviously the big game is in Stillwater tonight...a winner between OSU and WVU would get an early leg up in the conference title race. Not a lot to tell about either team from the first two games, so it will be interesting to see how things go between two teams that are more evenly matched. Should be a good one.

Baylor/Iowa State will also be a revealing game. Baylor has been able to hold TCU and Tech to draws, but how good are they actually? Iowa State hasn't won, but after seeing them last week, I do think they are playing stronger soccer than they have in the past. I'll be interested to see if they can break through against Baylor.

Not sure what to think about Tech/Kansas. Normally, I would expect some fireworks, but the up-and-down schedules these two squads have had and the results from their played games so far make it difficult to assess how things might go. Hoping for some entertainment out of this one.

Barring a last-minute disaster, we'll finally get our first look at Mark Carr's Oklahoma. Not an ideal situation for Texas to be the first opponent - no game film for the Longhorns to study in a week they desperately need a result. After both teams' Week 1 results, I certainly didn't see a 3-0 TCU win in the cards last week, and I bet Texas didn't either. I thought Chris Henderson stated it perfectly on his Twitter account: "Texas really, really misses Cyera Hintzen." The Longhorns need to adapt quickly, or this conference slate is going to be a disaster for them.

AtypicalSoccerMom and Mojo45 repped this.
  23. Texas Futbol

Texas Futbol Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 10, 2020

Attached Files:

Mojo45 repped this.
  24. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Conference honors for Week 3:
    Offensive Player of the Week - Olyvia Dowell, Oklahoma State
    Defensive Player of the Week - Kate Dreyer, Baylor
    Goalkeeper of the Week - Jordan Silkowitz, TCU
    Freshman of the Week - Olivia Edwards, Texas Tech

TDS Team of the Week: https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/womens-team-of-the-week:-sept-29_aid48548

Big 12 teams in the Coaches poll for Sept. 29:
    4. Oklahoma State
    6. Kansas
    7. West Virginia
    12. TCU

The TDS power rankings are now behind their paywall.

Standings after Week 3:
    Oklahoma State 3-0-0 9 +5
    Kansas 2-0-0 6 +2
    West Virginia 2-1-0 6 +4
    TCU 1-0-1 4 +3
    Iowa State 1-2-0 3 -2
    Texas 1-2-0 3 -3
    Baylor 0-1-2 2 -1
    Texas Tech 0-1-1 1 -1
    Oklahoma 0-1-0 -1 0
    Kansas State 0-2-0 0 -6

Week 4 Games (all scheduled for Oct. 2):