Biden is President - filling out the cabinet and beyond

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Nov 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that’s fair, but I also don’t think Manchin is too far out of line with the DLC, so it’s understandable why he would avoid criticism while the Left does get criticized.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A bit late but. . . The fact that her tweet made it all about her was, well, rather Trumpy. On that ground I thought it was an ill-advised intervention. Had she wanted to make it about Palestinians, she pribably could have(though that too would've likely been under-nuanced, because Twitter does that.

Deadtigers, dapip, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Manchin is a necessary evil for Dems. Like car insurance.

Joe Manchin is a bad Democratic senator. He opposes the Dream Act and supports a border wall. He voted against LGBT rights, and for confirming a vengeful Republican operative to the Supreme Court. When the most significant legislation, on the single most important issue facing humanity, arrived at the upper chamber, Manchin didn’t just vote against it — he shot with a rifle.

West Virginia is a deep-red state. To represent the views of his constituents, Manchin probably does need to buck the progressive line on some issues. But he is far more conservative than he needs to be. Manchin didn’t vote to gut a bunch of banking regulations last year because ordinary West Virginians gathered outside his office chanting, “WHAT DO WE WANT? TO RAISE THE THRESHOLD FOR ENHANCED REGULATORY SCRUTINY FROM $50 BILLION IN ASSETS TO $250 BILLION! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW!” Meanwhile, polls suggest there are a wide range of progressive economic policies that a majority of West Virginians support — such as a federal job guarantee and lead removal — but which Joe Manchin has evinced little interest in promoting.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/joe-manchin-eyes-senate-retirement-2020.html

fatbastard repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah well, that article can rip Joe Manchin all it wants, but Joe is the only Democrat in the country who has been able to hold a Senate seat in such red territory. If it weren't for Joe, that seat would be filled by another Blackburn or McConnell. So I'll be bleeped if I'm going to criticize him.

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Palestinian Authority Reaches Understandings With Biden Staff

Abbas’ bureau expressed satisfaction with the nomination of Antony Blinken as U.S. secretary of state. During the Obama administration, Blinken was Vice President Biden’s national security adviser and undersecretary to Secretary of State John Kerry.

Sources in Ramallah described Blinken as “a man who knows what’s what and is familiar with the details of the conflict.” The Palestinian leadership was also pleased that Biden has named Reema Dodin, the daughter of Palestinian immigrants, to his staff. A PA source described Dodin as “connected to her roots.”

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east...NLNryidrV8BwCaorRUq_H9ZuJ2KJOrK2l4-dEQ0_nwMfU

Yoshou, bigredfutbol and JohnR repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I could criticize him but it would be useless. There is no doubt that he is the last senator from WV for probably a very long time.

Mr. Bandwagon, Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That would be nice, but I believe that you mean "Democratic Senator."

8. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Biden is going force WV to become a territory so WV will lose its senator and only have a non-voting delegate in congress.

Deadtigers, JohnR, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Merge the Dakota, turn WV into a territory, and statehood for DC and Puerto Rico. Works for me.

Deadtigers, soccernutter, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  10. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm pretty sure there was something flawed about the process where all 11 Confederate states were readmitted into the Union so all of them will revert to territories and have to apply for readmission.

luftmensch and Deadtigers repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You're on a roll. Keep it going. Besides, it's not as if your legal arguments are worse than the President's.

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder, probably more than I would have 10 years ago ...... How many actually would reapply? :unsure:

luftmensch, Dr. Wankler and bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There is no rush. American Samoa has been a territory for over 100 years.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, there are 12 states with a lower population than WV. No way it gets downgraded while Wyoming gets to keep two senators.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You're still using logic.
    Trump destroyed that with all other norms. If you can imagine it-it can happen.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    We've demoted WV to a bigass Virginia county? YES!

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's a promotion. Virginia doesn't deserve that. West Virginia doesn't deserve that. At best I say make them a territory of Virginia.

rslfanboy and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Putting West Virginia in Virginia again would paint the state read for the next few cycles, at least.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    WV and read in the same sentence :D

Kazuma, Deadtigers, superdave and 5 others repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed it. I stand corrected.

Not the page and half discussing if she is anti-Semitic.

I hadn't seen McConnell's comment when I posted this. Personally, I think that is bullshit. The list of people more qualified than her is maybe 1 or 2 people. Maybe. FFS, she was a possible VP. But, I do understand why he chose whom he chose. I just disagree with it and that he should fight that fight.

By not fighting for a Black woman? That is the backbone of his constituency.

2, maybe 3.
    Florida.
    Louisiana
    And that state just across the river from that Northern slave state, Virginia.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This pompous, arrogant, corrupt jackass could not resist with his cheap shots.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo criticized members of President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming administration, saying they’ve lived in a “fantasy world” and “led from behind,” Politico reports.
    Said Pompeo: “I know some of these folks, they took a very different view, they lived in a bit of a fantasy world. They led from behind, they appeased. I hope they will choose a different course.”

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    These Trumpers really don't get how much they're hated here & abroad. He really thinks he stands a chance in 2024

sitruc, dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    How dare you talk like that about the man who brought us peace between Israel and Djibouti.

sitruc, Deadtigers, song219 and 5 others repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That whole thing about "peace deals" is double speak at the level that Orwell would've stolen for a revised edition of 1984. It is so double plus un-bad.

sitruc, Deadtigers, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was discussing whether or not a particular statement was antisemitic.