Bid Rejected

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Boro_lad, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

Boro have had a bidfor Demarcus Beasley rejected byChicargofire.
    full story on http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/Team_News/0,1562,28,00.html along with news on boro signing TLF juninho back...
    Thebid was a small one like. Much smaller than many on here predicted. only £823,000 when many said between £3 -10 million

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Fire does not own the contract of DaMarcus Beasley, the league does. Therefore, the offer was rejected by the league.

MLS has a history of not accepting bids that low for players, Boro should have known better.

3. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bid that low is an insult. I think 10 million is excessive though... esp. in pounds.

4. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    I agree. Far too low considering the types of money paid for young talent now. DMB has World Cup chops. He's not nearly as speculative as Robbie Keane was when he went from Coventry to Inter for 7m pounds, for example. 3-5 mil sounds about right and if DMB continues in good form, it will come sooner or later.

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. In Keane's Coventry debut, my jaw dropped at how freakin' good he was.

I don't think there was that much speculation in that trade.

As for DMB... 3-5 mil dollars sounds right to me... not pounds. 3 mil pounds works. 5 mil. pounds is too much.

You're absolutely right about the cost for talent though. Even Ipswich paid a lot for players like Matteo Sereni and Hermann Hreidarsson. Charlton and Ipswich both made the same bid for Claus Jensen (I always get his name confused with Claus Larsen of Leaetherstrip) as well. I think that was 3M pounds. No idea why anyone would pick London over the lovely Ipswich though. :)

Oh... and a sell-on bonus is a necessity. I have a feeling that DaMarcus will move quite a bit during his career as he improves.

6. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    Re: Re: Bid Rejected

I have complete agreement with you, the amount offerred IS AN INSULT! Those folks must really think we are extremely naive. The number 3 million seems fair as speed is a "born with" skill, and DMB has an abundance of it. However, if MLS is offerred 10 million for DMB, from anywhere, I'll help pack his bags!

7. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Sigh. No, the kid is not fast at all. He's quick, but he's not fast. Watch him in MLS. He's learned his lesson for the most part, but last year, he'd kick the ball past a defender and then try to run around him, and he couldn't win a sprint longer than 8 yards.

His turn and acceleration over 3 yards are great though.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Its a different market with big clubs having major financial woes.

With the exception of the mega-Rio deal, things have been fairly low key. As a point of reference, Dwight Yorke was just sold for 2 mil pounds.

DMB has a huge upside in comparison, but Yorke is a proven goal scorer.

Because of the tremendous upside of DMB, I would think 2-3 million would be fair with a sell on clause.

9. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

i wouldnt go too far...boro have been spending for fun
    maccarone £8.15 million
    Juninho (around) £6
    Queadrue £2.5
    and we have been offering £5 for boeteng.

although it has been slow. Liverpool and newcastle have also been spending a fair bit of cash....

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    True. I also just read that Birmingham sealed the Morrison deal for 4.25 million with more to come if they stay up. It appears Yorke was a bargain basement deal with United simply looking to dump his 40,000/week wages.

11. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

yep...im glad Boro never bought him.....

12. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  13. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

skinut, xtomx, nowherenova and 2 others repped this.