Biased Los Angeles Times hires insider as new editor

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jul 21, 2005.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Los Angeles times hired an insider to be their new editor. I guess they have decided they want to continue to be a political propaganda machine, rather than the great world class newspaper which they could be, and which they have the resources to be.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050721/en_nm/media_latimes_dc

In the past few years the LA times has been known for its firont page editorialism, as well as for losing circulation and advertising. I guess they are willing to continue to take the tradeoff.

In one notable incident, the LA times blanketed conservative areas of Orange County with free newspapers in a special promotion, the Thursday before the recall election for governor. (I received a 'free promotional' newspaper that day.) 'Coincidentally', the front page included an unflattering picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and an accompanying story about his alleged groping of many women. Something which surely would upset the conservatives and influence the election.

Based on that incident alone, thousands of customers cancelled their subscription. No word as to how many suscribers the LA times picked up from their 'special promotion'. As a political flyer it didn't quite work either, as the Austrian born celebrity survived the political low blow and was elected to Sacramento.

Be as it may, it appears that the LA times wants to continue down the same path. It is unfortunate.

2. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I stopped subscribing because they hired a conservative commentator I consider to be particularly hackish.

Say...Arnie promised an investigation of those charges, didn't he? I wonder how that turned out. The Groping Gauleiter, by the way, is so popular now, he ranks in the top 46 governors in the country in approval ratings. Maybe the LA Times was just trying to spare OC Republicans future embarrassment.

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Micheal Kinsey is the editorial page editor, which surely makes ASF's head want to explode.

OTOH, the OCR gives fish wrap a bad name. That paper is pathetic. The SDUT is at least readable.

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You've outdone yourself here ASF. This is a post that Ian or his sockpuppet inthenet would be proud of.

5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    OOOooops..!
    I got a nasty, nasty private message from the sock.
    Something about me, Liverpool and excrement. He must have misunderstood my message.
    He's really not as nice as people think... :rolleyes:

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I got a call from the LA times, some poor salesman, right at the time when they hired a right wing columnist, maybe the one your're talking about, and they asked if I would consider subscribing. He told me about the new hired columnist and he argued that in the future they were going to be less liberal and more balanced. (Those were the exact words of the sales call, I swear.) Please give us a chance for six weeks free, he said, and if you still think we're too liberal you can cancel your subscription. I told him I wasn't interested.

Also, I got a call last week from another LA times salesperson saying that they were changing editors and things would be different, and if I would consider subscribing. I should have told them that I get my news from bigsoccer.

Really its too bad, because they do have some good reporters. One of my workers takes the Times to the office, so occasionally I read it, and they do have some good features when they forget playing politics. But the samesman lied though. They still editorialize in the front page.

As far as the groping, yes it is true. Arnold forgot to investigate. The LA times and attorney Gloria Aldrige (sp?) also promised to continue investigating and getting to the bottom of the groping, and giving a voice to the poor victims, but not surprisingly the story went away in a puff of smoke after the election. I guess they are saving whatever they researched for the next political season.

As far as Arnie's ratings, it is also interesting to note that both previous California governors, Pete Wilson and Gray Davis, had lower approval ratings at some point in their first term than Arnold has now, and yet they were both reelected. (Of course, we all know what happened afterwards to Davis, but still...)

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Whose sock? You don't mean mine, I hope. I only use mine to cover my feet. And they do get nasty after a bit of football.

But I can understand the feelings about Liverpool. Lucky bastards :D

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :D No, not your socks, smelly as they may be.
    Lucky isn't a bad attribute to go with a great team. Milan would certainly have taken a bit.

As for your newspaper rant, you're right. Get your politics on BS or get BS for your politics. The rest you can get from Fox...!

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ITN is just pissed because he got ********-canned for the politics thread.

10. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Nothing against the Daily News, which employs Scott French, but I'm really only punishing myself by boycotting the Times. Their sports page is excellent, at least it was before the cutbacks. Grahame Jones has really come around on the Galaxy, kinda. And having no NFL team in town means that LA papers don't have to kowtow to the league and only report happy news. Their comics page is pretty good, although if I wasn't boycotting over their op-ed page I'd boycott over Mallard Ass-Ramming Dickhead Nazi Scumbag Fillmore. (Oh, it's in the Daily News, too? Oops.)

11. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    That's just sublime. You are Ari Fleischer, aren't you?

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, for a newspaper that is so much in favor of immigration, legal and illegal, from Latin America, (nothing wrong with that, but they are and are not subtle about it), you'd think they'd cover Latin American soccer a bit more. Their sports page gives the short end of the stick to South American soccer. On the other hand, they do give more info about European soccer than just about any other American newspapers. That guy Jones knows the game. Still, all the info we want is in the internet nowadays, so who cares.

Their entertainment reviews tend to be insightful. When I borrow the Times it is usually to check on a movie, play or concert I'm interested in.

As far as their cartoons, I'd wager you (Loney) don't find that Ramirez guy too funny. He tends to be out of step with the general theme of the editorial pages. He's sort of like their Alan Colmes in reverse.

13. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    Can’t speak for Loney, but Michael Ramirez just plain sucks. He answers the quesion of what would happen if Karl Keller went to art school. He has a decent hand, but he is embarrassingly literal, predictable and overtly partisan. Conrad was admittedly left-leaning, but he readily and viciously depicted blatant hypocrisy of Democratic politicians when he saw it. Ramirez a disgrace to the profession.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Don't the Spanish-language paper do a pretty comprehensive job of covering Latin American soccer? Not to say that should stop LA Times, but I could understand if they didn't want to compete with the Spanish dailies.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

For those who don't know what the hell we're talking about, here's today's cartoon by Michael Ramirez of the LA times:

[​IMG]

(I couldn't remember Ramirez first name. I almost wrote Richard Ramirez, but then I remembered that Richard was the notable satanist serial killer. That is why I posted 'That Ramirez guy' )

16. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Please, don't connect me up with this hack.

It's like accusing me of being a fan of Ann Coulter, or Savage. I am not.

As far as I know, there are no great conservative/libertarian cartoonists.

I get my humor -- leavened as it with real commentary -- from the the appropriate thinktanks and high level journals.

17. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    My goodness, common ground.

Refeshing. Yet disturbing at the same time.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Really it's not that important as far as getting information, in this day and age. Maybe it's just foolish pride on my part, but it would be nice if they acknowledged that South American soccer exists, that Argentina and Brazil have a league, that something called Copa libertadores is played in South America. It would be nice to see them mention it, considering our important role and influence in the world's game.

La Opinion does a great job of covering Mexican soccer. They cover South America obviously much more than the LA times, but not nearly as well as they cover Mexico. It is basically a Mexican newspaper. Of course most of their readers are Mexican so I don't blame them for that. But in my view their knowledge of the game and journalism skills leave a lot to be desired.

Thank God for the internet.