BH, CD, KK, CB, MCBRIDE: Fulham v. Aston Villa - 2/3

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by El Steve, Feb 1, 2008.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staltieri is a right back. Boca is a central defender who can play left back in a pinch. They're not direct competitors.

2. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    It really warmed my heart to see the welcome that McBride got from the crowd. He is a credit to the USMNT.

3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a necessary win for Fullham. I await Staltieri's health as Baird remains a disaster and the weakest link in Fullham's lineup.

As for the Yanks, I thought Dempsey had some pretty good touches and was very active. Can't give him more than a 5.5 as he had a couple of chances to really threaten the goal and didn't quite get it done.

Even old and rusty, McBride has a much greater impact than Nevland, who looks like the Taylor Twellman of the EPL (assuming he can finish like TT) in that he can't get hold of the ball agaisnt fast, strong defenders like Villa fielded.

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you say, Boca is a CB who can fill in at LB when needed. It would have to be really desperate for him to fill in at RB. Baird is a CB who is being played at RB because there aren't better options. Outside defender can be a position where you can be made to look pretty bad at times. I think Baird's biggest problem is his passing. Of course Murphy didn't help him much at times. I don't know anything about Saltieri, but if he is a legit RB, that will make a huge difference for this team.

I'm not a huge fan of the 3-5-2, but with all of the CB's Fulham has, they could pull off the 3 in the back no problem. I doubt they have the players to pull off the wing responsibilities, though.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I wonder if having Baird in the line up is leading to the 'back-up Quarterback effect' where the team rallies around this one weakness and everyone pitches in to help.

Dont see him lasting much longer.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bullard + The Yank Brigade is a decent squad. Above-average entertainment value, too.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Why is no one giving Davies love?

He was equal if not better than bullard today. He tracked back the whole game, made off the ball runs, good passing.

Skill level on his goal? are you kidding me, that is one very difficult finish.

Dempsey had a good day, Bullard is the sweetheart, but Davies was the engine today.

That midfield (please put in Volz instead of Murphy!!!) with Volz in the line up cleaning up, or even Boca for the set pieces (he played mid for Coleman) and anyone else at right back and this team looks alright.

8. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Not to speak for anyone else, but he had a lot to make up for following his rubbish performance on the left against Bolton at midweek.

You're right, though, about yesterday. He was solid.

9. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People have been giving him a lot of stick here, but they don't know what they're talking about normally. I have to say that from mid last year to now, he's been the most influential player fulham have. People diss him because they thought he competed for Clint's RM role - for me though if Clint had his engine hustle and desire he'd be another class ahead of the rest.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he is not new to the team's midfield which is much improved with the new guys. I agree that over the course of the season he has been the best there.

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up until yesterday I thought I saw a clear difference between Davies last year (when it was obvious why he was keeping a rusty, tentative Dempsey off the pitch) and this year (when his first touch was lacking and his crosses were frequently poor). I thought he did pretty well yesterday, though.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Both dempsey and davies were suffering from the same problem, no linkage.

if dempsey was up top and davies on the right or left, there was no 3rd player to complete any kind of triangle play. It would go dempsey, davies then davis, ball lost, davies, dempsey, murphy, ball lost, now with Bullard, the three of them can link up well.

Andreasson also covered a lot of ground and man he has got some nasty on him. Have to love his fearless german dmid mentality. If you are going to beat him, you are going to have to earn it.

So with Murphy gone, i think the middle could use Volz's energy and defensive tendencies.

I guess Hogs had Murphy in for the 2 way play, but he was quite obviously a liability, especially when combining with Baird.

You guys read the news that Bullard and Baird got into a fist fight? It seems Baird landed on a punch.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly Bullard wasn't dribbling the ball at the time then.....

14. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn , you nailed that one.

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham needed this like people in hell need ice water.

As presently composed the team is good enough to stay up.
    But they have to get out of the hole they dug.

One win at a time.

16. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a transformation. I thought Dempsey had a very solid game in both directions. Baird, Konchesky and Murphy to a lesser degree really stood out as the wink links. Also, they need to keep working on playing out of the back instead of the long ball. When they did play they showed they can stay up. Murphy just can't get to his touches anymore--lost more than a step or two. Overall, when you think of the options from here on out things look better. They need 3 at Boro and that will give them a lot of momentum.

I was also thinking that EJ, if he can adjust, is the one type of forward they do not have which bodes well for him when they decide to play a 4-4-2.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    methinks Bullard and Dempsey are going to make good juju in the middle :)

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    To soon to start calling them Fullhard USA?

ouch....bad.

19. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...er yes, and we people follow the flock of seagulls, it is because they can't see through the blond hair.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in the way they get along with teammates apparently

Will the bookies be taking bets on a Dempsey/Bullard bust up?

Don't Tread on This

21. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullard tackled Baird hard in training... Baird got pissed, punched him in the nose and there's a mark to prove it. Other than that, everything I've heard about Bullard's reputation in the locker room is exemplary.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Actually, Baird was swining for Dempsey, but as usual was slow and missed his mark and got Bullard instead.