BGG out at UVA

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bigtime, Nov 10, 2003.

1. bigtime

bigtime New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    I have absolutely had enough! It is finally time to talk about this...

BGG needs to be fired! His inability to make great players into a great team shows his inability to coach at a high level. If any other coach had the same talent that he does, year in and year out, they would be winning National Championships, ACC Championships and just might have a winning record! This year all points to one thing: what a terrible coach he is.

I know (from playing under him) that he lacks the knowledge of the game, has a twisted idea of how to play, and certainly doesn't respect the players. He babies his favorites, belittles the ones that actually know how to play, and thinks that if you put hacks and goons out on the field he will win. I just don't understand how the athletic department can let a guy like this screw up the tradition that the program has.

The players for sure don't believe in him or even like him. He is hated by 99% of the team and talks badly behind each of the players backs (to other players)! If only players knew what they were getting themselves when they signed their letters of intent!

I could go on and on, with many stories and insight, but I will do that at length at another time. What do you all think? If you have any questions... just shoot away.

2. FMRPLYR

FMRPLYR New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    total agreement

i agree and it sounds like you have the same kind of coach that Penn State is stuck with, which sucks.

3. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Unfortunately, the UVA and Penn State situations are not isolated cases. Bad coaching is ruining the college game. It's nationwide.

4. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    No prediction here - only truth

Coaching sucks in college. It is based on WHO YOU KNOW and MUST play the POLITICAL GAME. A lot of ass kissing in the profession. There are a lot of young qualified coaches who start as assistants and don't get the recognition nor the opportunity to move to a head coaching position at a good program. Unless you know someone who is in bed with that person making the selection, or you put 10 years starving as an assistant and hoping that you will land a good situation...it is very difficult to get in. Also, most college coaches belong to several "boys club" so it is back to who you KNOW.

Re: Gelnovatch (spelling?) WHO DOES HE KNOW? AND WHO PUT HIM THERE? Should I say more!! who appointed him U18 NT coach?

He even was an "assistant" with the World Cup team!! What?? What did he do there? I would love to read any of his scouting reports!!

Kiss up to the right guy and you are in!

5. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Re: No prediction here - only truth

I'm not sure if this was a rhetorical question, but of course Bruce put him there..and unfortunately he-BGG might be there for awhile, especially given the fact that he's a UVA alum...

6. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    Re: Re: No prediction here - only truth

Yes we all know that it was Bruce. The question is: how long does someone who appears to be incompetent (at least on the field based on talent management vs. results) can hold its job? This would not happen in other professions. So, it goes back to the fundamental argument that AD and presidents don't give a crap about college soccer, that it really depends on who you know. The power of a few are killing the game. Are you saying that there are not other UVA qualified coaches / future coaches out there? With this mentality, no wonder MLS and European teams are having success taking away prospects from the college game.

7. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    What makes this situation even more ludicrous, is that BGG is considered an excellent coach by US Soccer. The guy has a lot of power in US Soccer coaching circles, because of his contacts, so aptly pointed out by nostrodamus. It is who you know, it is a good ol' boy network, and it's ruining college soccer.

8. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Re: Re: Re: No prediction here - only truth

HUH? No genius, what I'm saying is that the fact that he went to UVA and played at UVA and has been in the "UVA network" for quite a time is what's keeping him at UVA. And it doesn't hurt to have the backing of one of the most powerful men in US soccer. The Athletic Dept at UVA actually cares about soccer and I know this personally. UVA is just a very alumni oriented school, I suppose. The same situation happened w/ a couple of other major sports at the University not too long ago...

Favoritism is alive and well in all aspects of society so that's nothing new, especially in sports and not just US Soccer.

9. GunsKillDreams

GunsKillDreams New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    well i'm not real big on college soccer, i don't watch it as much as i should, and i don't know alot about the teams or players. I do know how bad Gelmavitch is though. He used the U18 NT as a recruiting depot for UVA. If one of the players signed with another college he simply dumped them from the NT therefore ruining any chances they had of making it to the USMNT or Olympic team. and despite all the so called "stars" he got from the U18's he still couldn't manage an allstar team. I really am glad someone brought this up, it needs to be made known.

10. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    Re: Re: Re: Re: No prediction here - only truth

Favoritism is alive and well in all aspects of society so that's nothing new, especially in sports and not just US Soccer. [/B][/QUOTE]

You are correct about favoritism and I am all for strong support for members of the "family." UVA does support their soccer. Beautiful facilities and great tradition I will give you that. However, it doesn't make it right, specially when you are in a position of power and are impacting the lives of young minds. Accountability has to come into play soon or later on and off the field as "bigtime" explained on original post. Abuse of that power, the egotistical attitude, the "I am better than you" is what is wrong. These "good ol' networks are abusing the power given by a few and damaging the game and the lives of many young players again not just at UVA.

11. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No prediction here - only truth

Oh, I totally agree with you. I wasn't condoning what's going on at UVA, I was just giving other reasons for BGG's "long tenure" as coach. In fact, a friend of mine and I used to lament about the program or the house that "Bruce built and George burned down"...and this was only year after he got the job..That mentality that u described has hurt UVA athletics IMO..but that's for another web forum...

But I'll say this, BGG isn't impacting too many minds at the school. Notice how those promising young talents jetted off to Project 40 and MLS? The program is no longer getting the cream of the crop as in years past...

12. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    favoritism, in-breeding and nepotism are prominent in all other sports whether at the junior, college or professional levels. it should not be a surprise that it happens in college soccer circles as well. further, any individual who takes advantage of these should not necessarily be blamed.

so then why is anyone worried about it when the real problem comes down to interest by the masses? once THAT exists, then you will get the attention of the college AD (and other decision makers) cause real money will be involved.

soccer fans in this country are passionate and knowlegdeable, --- but alas too small in numbers to show up on the radar screens of those making the important decisions at the moment. i hope that in a generations or two we'll be further along.

13. bigtime

bigtime New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    BGG needs to be removed from the inner circle of the soccer family and shipped to Bulgaria. Look at some of the great teams that he personally had, '97, '98, 2001. Even though most of the players on that Finals team of '97 were recruited by Bruce, he still managed to prevent that talented bunch from winning a national championship. Take another example of the 2001 team, the first team to be undefeated, unscored upon in the ACC's, ranked 1st, and they go on to lose to Seton Hall. Not to take anything away from SH (who happens to be greatly coached by Manny S.), but UVA should have been able to walk right over them and into at least the final four.

He can get his hands on the cream of the crop out there but kids realize that UVA is not the place to go while BGG is there. He has not improved any player, has not taken a mediocre team to great heights, but instead managed to make talented players and even talented teams into a joke. And nobody within that whole program takes him seriously.

As for this year and all of our cries about firing him, well... you have to prepare for years like this. Yes they are young, yes they might not have the experience, but if BGG was smart, this type of year would never happen. How come there is only 1 senior (Matt Oliver, and he has 1 more year anyways)? How come non of the current players who are upperclassmen had any real game experience? I remember the '99 team, which started anywhere between 4-6 freshman at any game, and they went to the NCAA Quarterfinals. They lost to UCLA, but they had their chances to win that game anyways. And that team certainly wouldn't be under-500! When was the last time a UVA team finished the season around 500?

This really says a lot about BGG and his incompetance, naive thinking, and his lack of looking to the future. Well maybe he should start looking to the future, and find a new home, cause it won't be in C'ville for much longer.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but I can see Big Game George being gone from UVa. No, he won't be fired, but I can see him leaving to take a more expanded role with the national team.

Like it or not, people who matter, namely Arena, think highly of BGG. And, the landscape of youth soccer development is changing and I can see the Fed making the U18 team a more permanent job, perhaps even with residency.

If Gelnovatch leaves, it will be to take this bigger role with the U18 team and perhaps even moonlighting as an assistant to Arena.

Throughout all his struggles at UVa, one thing I've liked about BGG is that he has never stood in his players way if they wanted to leave early and he's been pretty forthcoming about college soccer being subpar for elite player development, something few other college coaches (Cirovski, Reid, Yeagley) dare mention.

That tells me that Gelnovatch would like to be more a part of player development at a higher level. Whether he is the right man to coach the 18s and be one of Bruce's assistants is debateable but, again, the people (or person) that matter think he is.

And, I'm also guessing that after being an assistant at the national team in the World Cup, it's tough to come back and get jacked about playing Radforf mid-week. And, recruiting and dealing with players staying eligible, failing piss tests and all the hassles with the NCAA start to wear on you, especially when you have options to go elsewhere, like BGG does.

It sounds like he's lost his fire for the job and I'm sure he knows this. That's why I think he'll move on.

The second point is, if he does go, who should replace him?

I know current assistant Craig Reynolds is well liked by the players and, unlike BGG when he took over, he actually has some head coaching experience, albeit at the small college level.

Reynolds knows the programs and the ACC, but is he the best candidate? And, if not, who is?

After UCLA, UVa is the best coaching job in college soccer and I'm sure a lot of top coaches would be interested.

Mike Noonan has done a great job at Brown and Brown was the stepping stone for Trevor Adair to the ACC. John Kerr, an all-time great ACC player, is from Virginia and has done a nice job at Harvard.

I could see Mike Jeffries, another ex ACC great, throwing his name into the ring, along with former UVa assistant and ex-American coach Bob Jenkins, himself a former great player at Duke.

Man, that's three Dookies I've mentioned - what's wrong with me? Oh well, I might as well go with that theme - Ken Lolla, the U16 national team coach, has done a great job at Akron, and Tom Stone was a good coach in the WUSA and I've loved his observations about the college game as a TV analyst.

Surely there are some former UVa players who would love the job but I don't think any are in a position right now that would make them qualified.

I know Arena has spoken favorably in the past of Farleigh Dickinson's Seth Roland and if he can win there, I'm guessing he could do it at UVa.

Out west, Oregon State's Dana Taylor has done a great job building that program and the same can be said for Tim Von Steeg (UCSB), Terry Davila (Cal State Northridge) and Paul Krumpe (Loyola Marymount), though I don't know if any of them would leave California.

Hell, maybe even Dan Donnigan would leave Saint Louis for UVa!

Or, it could be a slew of candidates not even listed. But, if Gelnovatch does leave, there should be so many candidates for the job that UVa shouldn't have to settle for Reynolds. If, after the interview process he is the best person for the job, then by all means give it to him. But, his promotion shouldn't be a given.

15. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    a thorough and exhaustive list. have you ever thought of setting up a consulting service?

if S'onM is both seer and sage and bgg leaves uva (a scenario i can see with a graceful exit), then i can see the current players fighting like dogs to have craig reynolds retained as head trainer.

16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You are absolutely correct in your analysis. I was around for that 97' championship team and that was a game that they should have won hands down. The problem was the players' arrogance, which was encouraged by the coaching staff. It's amazing that the guys got to the final given the fact that BGG did no "coaching" that year!!

@Sandon: I agree w/ you about BGG resigning. In fact, I think we might see him stepping down along the same the lines as Jeff Jones did as men's basketball coach..ie he was quietly pushed out by the AD and the alumni....

I'm not too confident that Craig would be the one to replace him though. Although he's an ok person and has studied the game, his coaching abilities aren't that superior to George's.

17. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    BGG

I just figured out BGG is not BIGGY SMALL,