Best Young player on USA sqauad?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Platinum21, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Platinum21

Platinum21 New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    DC
    i say its a tie between Beasley, Donovan, and Wolff

2. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Tim Howard

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wolff? wolff???? i'm sooooo tired of hearing about wolff. i'd take buddle over him in a heartbeat.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I define young as anyone under 23. And its Donovan and I think the gulf between him and #2 (DMB or Convey) is about as wide as the Atlantic. Neither of those two - or anyone not not named, Bocanegra, Reyna, O'Brien, and Pope - are in the same talent level as LD.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    true.Landon is head and shoulders above the rest.

6. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan and Beasley

7. righthalf

righthalf Member

May 3, 2002
    I agree with a couple of previous posts that LD is far ahead of number 2. So, the best is an easy question.

The more interesting question to me is who is number 2? I would choose Edson B. He also has good potential to be even better.

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Dooley or Mike Burns

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan hands down. No one else even close.

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Brien is a lot closer to the top spot than you think. He's still 2nd, but he's close to #1.

11. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Donovan, Buddle, and Beasley. Its too close to call.

12. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    I wouldn't classify O'brien as young. To me, a young player is one who has the potential to be around for 2 more World Cups. I don't think O'brien will here for the WC in 2010.

13. Donovan better than O'Brien?!!! You guys are crazy. If Donovan was half the player that JOB is, he would be playing for Leverkusen right now. Landon hasn't exactly been lighting up MLS either lately. From what I have seen, I would put Magee and Buddle ahead of him, and probably DMB too. I also FULLY expect O'Brien to be playing in 2010, unless he gets hurt bad. Next to Reyna, he is the only player that we have with world class skill and a real understanding of how to play the game (outside of Keller and Freidel). Donovan has reached a plateau, and needs to start playing within himself. Enough of the impossible one-touch passing and flicking the ball around the box. Landon has potential, but I don't think that he has improved much in the last year. I would take Buddle over Landon in a heartbeat.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    This is an amazing post

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Earth! How may I help you? Sorry, I can't give you a clue...

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yeah, it leaves one speechless.

17. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Yes, and one that further proves that you need know absolutely nothing about soccer or TALENT to post here.

Yes, totally amazing.

18. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    You Jest!

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL ok ok, all jokes aside. Seriously, on what do we base that Landon is head and shoulders above every player we have? now, i agree that I would NOT put JOB in the "young player" category, so let me put that to rest. However, to say that LD is head and shoulders better than JOB (when healthy) and Reyna (when healthy) is also sheer madness. if you give him the edge, then we can debate, but anyone who says he is head and shoulders above them is just as crazy as the guy who said that JOB is twice the player of Donovan. JOB plays for a powerhouse Dutch team, and STARTS for that powerhouse (once again, when he's been healthy). Reyna has played and been successful for years overseas and gained international acclaim as a great player in that venue. And LD is twice the player as them based on what now? because he scored 2 goals at the WC? c'mon now. we are all feeding into the media machine that has built up the young hero. Is LD our best now? very well might be. but so far ahead that we can't discuss it rationally ................. no way.

20. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh

I dont put Donovan way above all our players. I may not put him above JOB at all. I do put him well above Reyna. As far as our young players as much as they are improving he is by far the best. This may change. He will I hope improve. Buddle will, if he stays healthy improve too. For us (the similarity to U.S.) to improve we need many players to step up as well as Landon getting better.

The Jest part was probably triggered by Magee. I am a Metro FC fan and more importantly a Nat fan and love to see what he has done. I am a fan of all up and comeing U.S. Nat players. However to rate him better than Landon? Woah?

How about Gaven? What will he be like with a couple of years of MLS behind him?

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Re: Best Young player on USA sqauad?

I'm the one who first said that gurlf between Landon and #2 was "as wide as the atlantic". I also defined young player to be anybody currently on a U-23 level or under. Which meant it had nothing to do with O'Brien. Personally, I think both O'Brien and Bocanegra are better soccer players than Donovan because they excel in all areas of play, while Landon is only an attacking option. But I will say is that he is our best attacking force. Young or Old.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually totally agree with virtually everything you ever say, but I've gotta take issue with saying Bocanegra is a better soccer player than Donovan because he excels in "all areas of play." I don't think Boca excels on the offense end any better than Donovan excels on the defensive end. Boca can score, yes, and Donovan can track back and defend as well.... and then turn it upfield and score or assist too . :)

23. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    all over the place here on defining "young player" and "best"

Is it sheer ability? Is it who is having the best professional career? (Howard, O'Brien) Is it the player most prominent in national team setup (Donovan).

If we are agree that we are talking about players Under 23 then I can live with Landon. He is the first name you think of for the Olympic team, just an automatic selection.

If you are thinking players just getting into the squad, you can say Buddle, who I'm also high on (but to be honest, the guy I think can be a GREAT international player for us is Kyle Martino).

If you ask who is the best overall professional American right now I'd have to say Bocanegra.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yea but this a great place to disagree upon. They are both great soccer players and I'm sure there would be a lot of varying opinion. You also present a VERY good arguement here. If we say that Donovan's defense = Bocanegra's offense in effectiveness. Then it comes down to who's better in their respective strengths right? So is Carlos Bocanegra a better defender than Landon Donovan is a better attacker? Well that might not even be correct thinking. All I know is that I wouldn't trade either one of them for anybody in the world

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Just a few things, Its really hard to compare Goalkeepers and Field players. You'd almost have to separate the two. I mean how do you compare Tim Howard to John O'Brien?

Don't you think Martino needs a little more steel in his game before he is ready for the international game? IMHO his game is a bit too finesse and can be taken out by quality pressure defense. The kind that England or Brazil and sometimes Mexico can employ.