Best Young Player in Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by anirbanblah, Nov 13, 2003.

1. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    I've said Joaquin for the last 2 years but am not so sure anymore...

2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Joaquin's performance with la seleccion (esp. WC 2002) is what separates him from the other two right now... Should Torres or Reyes end up playing as well, then they could overtake Joaquin.

3. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    The best youg player, by far, is Casillas, but he is not on the poll.

From the players in the poll:

I saw Reyes played live a couple of times before his freak injury and thought he was the best player I had seen in a while, after almost two years he seems to be back to that level.

Joaquin has not played at his higest level since missing the PK in the WC, injuries, contract issues etc. He needs to get back injury free and motivated.

Torres, just misses too much for my liking yet.

1. Reyes
    2. Joaquin
    3. Torres

4. 002milan

002milan New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    Best younger player in Spain right now would have to be Joaquin, he is the most developed of the three and at this moment as the most polished game. But I think Reyes will eventually be better than him as he has so much untapped capability.

5. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    My mistake. casillas has been so much a part of the first team for so long now (except the one season when he was fighting with Cesar) that it's hard to think of him as a young player. maybe emerging would have been a better adjective but I doubt you can call Joaquin an emerging player.

6. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're talking about degrees of untapped potential? Then Portillo and Tote must make the short list.

7. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    maybe young and emerging?

8. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    Define short. I can make a list of 10 to 15 players and neither would make it.

9. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they are only just starting to get real first team experience this season.

10. barça

barça New Member

May 31, 2003
    In a plane
    This is true.

I think that is normal, that since these guys come from the Madrid org, they tend to get overrated. Same thing happens when they are from Barcelona, the press blow them out of proportion. But right now in Spain, there are some quality players getting tremendous playing time and I hope they get noticed.

Valdo, David Navarro, Makukula, Punal, Loppo and others.

11. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Not to mention players like Riera, who was amazing last season (I'm not sure how he's doing in France this season). Tote, the king of "Rabona", has some nice individual moves but so do players like Victor (a very underrated player IMO) and he never gets any notice. I've never been a fan of Portillo. At best he'll be as good as Morientes, but I imagine he'll turn out to be like Oli.

12. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    :eek:

Oli!!! nooooo!!!

13. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Did Joaquin grow up a Betis fan?

14. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    from what I gather he grew up as a fan of Betis but also of another club from the capital that wears all white. In fact, he has said many times that he dreams of playing for them.

15. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India

16. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. When Madrid signed Ronaldo, World Soccer reported that many Madrid fans were angered because that meant that Portillo would not get his big chance. Please!

17. pichichi

pichichi New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    How about Vicente, valencia's terrorizing winger who is now somewhat of a regular in the spanish nt. And how has everyone forgotten about CESC? Francesc Fabregas, a revelation during the u-17 world cup, if i am not mistaken he was named most outstanding player. Anyways, he rode his wave of success, and to my misforune, left Barcelona and signed with Arsenal.